When we go to a business or home of a friend or relative it only reasonable to expect that property owners keep their grounds maintained in an order that would limit the chances that people might slip and fall. The Chicago slip and fall accident attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers hold the firm belief that those who fail to do so should be held fully accountable when their disregard for public safety results in injuries to others and will fight on your behalf to find justice in the event you have been injured due to a property owner’s carelessness. Slip and fall accidents are not only the most common source of personal injury, but they are entirely preventable in a great number of cases.
Begin the process today of investigating your trip and fall case. Complete this on-line contact form for a free case review of your situation with a Chicago trip and fall lawyer who will address any potential concerns or questions with you about your case or the legal process. Our office is proud to represent people in slip and fall injury cases across all of Illinois.
If you have been injured due to a slip, trip or fall accident on another person’s property, you may be entitled to compensation for the cost of your medical treatment if you can prove that the property owner did not take reasonable steps to provide a safe environment.
Examples of negligence responsible for trip and fall accidents include the following.
- No effort was made to maintain the premises and ensure that they were safe. Examples include not making a reasonable effort to remove snow and ice and not repairing uneven surfaces that could contribute to a slip or fall accident.
- Visitors were not provided with an adequate warning about potential hazards. For example, if a building owner does have signs placed near wet floors or warning signs near trip or fall hazards.
- The property owner was aware of unsafe conditions and made no effort to warn others of the hazards, make reasonable repairs or take appropriate action.
Our Chicago slip and fall injury lawyers run into many cases where the conditions leading to the injury were temporary or the property owner made attempts to cover up the scene of the accident in order to avoid responsibility. For this reason, we advise all of our clients to take the following steps to protect their rights and establish their need to file a lawsuit to cover the cost of their expenses.
- Take pictures of the property immediately so that the property owner is unable to tamper with the evidence found at the scene or make expedited repairs. Include pictures of the exact location where you were harmed and the property damage or hazard that caused your accident.
- Seek emergency medical treatment. One of the biggest mistakes you can make is to leave the scene and seek treatment after the fact. By calling emergency services, you will establish a record of the incident with the authorities and hospital where you are treated.
- Obtain the contact information of any witnesses that were present when you were injured. It is important that you are able to get in touch with anyone who can provide testimony to support your case.
- Report the accident to the property owner. You do not need to have a long conversation with the owner about your injuries or answer specific questions, but it is important that you inform the owner that you have been injured on his or her property. It is your right to refrain from any in-depth conversation about the accident until you’ve spoken with a lawyer, so do not give any information you don’t feel comfortable about.
In most cases, the cost of your medical treatment, lost wages, out of pocket expenses and pain and suffering will be covered by the building owner’s insurance policy, so you should not feel any hesitation to demand compensation when you’ve been injured on someone else’s property.
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers has handled thousands of cases that are similar to your own. Our access to medical professionals, accident reconstruction specialists, economists and social workers allows us to connect you with resources critical to your physical recovery while representing your legal rights. We also rely on these same individuals to provide compelling testimony that establishes the value of your case when seeking fair compensation for your expenses and suffering.
Contact us today to speak with one of our Chicago slip and fall accident lawyers today. We offer free consultations and case reviews and will never ask for a dime until we’ve secured the compensation you are entitled to for your injuries.
Resources for people who were involved in a slip and fall accident:
- Chicago-Premises-Liability-Interrogatories (Defendant Cubs & Wrigley)
Recent Slip & Fall Case Results achieved by the attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers:
- $166,200: Woman who fractured her arm while exiting a popular restaurant when she tripped over a tangled door mat.
- $300,000: Settlement to a carpenter who injured his back and hip in a construction site fall over scattered construction debris.
- $85,000: For a woman who fractured her foot in a slip and fall on ice that had unnaturally accumulated in front of a busy store.