Chicago Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer
Have You Sustained a Personal Injury After Falling on Another Person’s Property?
Having found your way to this page, you are probably one of millions of people who have been injured after a slip and fall accident.
You may be entitled to financial compensation for the cost of your medical bills and lost wages, and are looking for some help with your Chicago slip and fall accident case.
You Want to Hold the Property Owner Accountable for Your Personal Injury
You want to hold the relevant property owner accountable for their inability to provide a hazard-free environment for the benefit of public safety.
You know that it is the responsibility of the property owner to keep their grounds maintained in a way that limits the likelihood of slips, falls, and other accidents - and that they've failed to do that.
Our Personal Injury Lawyers Will Fight for You
The Chicago slip and fall accident lawyers at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers believe that those who are responsible for your injury should be held fully accountable when their disregard for public safety results in a fall injury.
A Chicago slip and fall attorney from our law firm will fight on your behalf when you have been injured due to a property owner's negligence.
We are available for a free consultation at your convenience. Even better, we don’t charge a fee until we win a settlement for you!
We’ve Handled Many Slip & Fall Cases Just Like Yours
Our experienced personal injury attorneys know the serious injuries that can occur in these cases, from broken bones to traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries and even death.
When you hire one of our attorneys, you can trust that you are hiring an experienced professional who knows how to confront your transgressors to see you to a beneficial settlement after a serious injury.
Our Chicago slip and fall attorneys know common tactics used by defendants and have handled many cases where the unsafe conditions leading to the injury were temporary or the property owner made attempts to cover up the scene of the accident to avoid responsibility.
Our law firm has access to the expertise of medical professionals, accident reconstruction specialists, economists, and social workers. This allows us to connect you with resources critical to your physical recovery while representing your legal rights.
We also rely on these same individuals to provide compelling testimony that establishes the value of your case when seeking slip and fall settlements with insurance companies and defense lawyers.
We Know how to Argue & Win Your Illinois Fall Case
Personal injuries from slip and fall accidents can be caused by a range of situations.
Common causes of slip and fall cases in the Chicago area are caused by snow and ice, uneven floors, wet floors, and protruding objects – and we know the intricacies of holding the relevant party accountable under Illinois law.
Whether you have been injured in a hotel, restaurant, shopping mall, airport, construction site, or nursing home, our personal injury lawyers have seen it all.
Among the cases we see are incidents involving stairways, parking lots, and swimming pool decks. Grocery store accidents are also incredibly common, and we have represented injured parties from accidents at chain-retail stores such as Walmart, Target, Lowes, Home Depot and Costco.
More specifically, we have argued fall injury cases for clients in accidents caused by:
- Inadequate warnings of dangerous conditions by business owners, such as wet floors.
- Poorly maintained premises with worn carpets, extension cords or debris cluttering the floor at a business.
- Cluttered job sites where construction workers are present.
- Store merchandise cluttering an aisle at a large store.
- Freshly mopped or waxed floors at a restaurant or grocery store without a 'wet floor' sign.
- Water or other liquids sitting on the floor of a business or office for an extended period of time.
- Inadequate lighting in a hotel or apartment building resulting in poor visibility.
From this vast experience with slip and fall accidents in Illinois, you can rest assured that our accident lawyers will give your case the best chance of a favorable settlement. Through our free consultation, we will advise you of the best way forward.
Wins for Our Slip and Fall Clients in Cook County
What to Expect From Your Fall Attorney
When you hire a personal injury attorney from our law firm, you can expect a close attorney-client relationship throughout your accident case. Your dedicated attorney will see you through the process of legal action:
- Investigation: We will determine if you have a valid case by looking at the cause of the accident and unsafe conditions, and who the liable party might be.
- Claim: We will file a claim with the property owner’ liability insurance provider. The insurer will then send an adjuster to investigate your slip and fall case and negotiate a settlement.
- Lawsuit: If no settlement can be reached, we will assess the option of filing a lawsuit, and guide you through the entire legal process of discovery, pre-trial motions and eventually, trial.
Not Convinced? See What Past Clients Have Said
I thought I’d try to settle a fall accident case with the insurance company. After getting a low-ball offer, I hired Jonathan Rosenfeld. He took care of ordering all of my medical records and sent an investigator to photograph the area. He eventually got the case settled out of court. I definitely would use his law firm anytime I need a personal injury lawyer.
While there was construction on the roof of my condominium, I fell and broke my ankle requiring surgery. Mr. Rosenfeld negotiated a settlement with the contractors. I have since referred a number of people to this office. They are pleased as well.
A quality operation from start to finish. They took care of everything so I could move on with my life. I’d never consider handing a personal injury case on my own. I would only use Rosenfeld Law should I need a lawyer.
Our Process1. Documentation
From the time we are retained in a case, we begin collecting relevant records on your case such as medical records, medical bills and information about insurance coverage.
This frequently means medical reports from treating doctors documenting the extent of your injuries and prognosis.
We are committed to getting this information for you so that you can focus on your physical and emotional recovery.2. Investigation
Our law firm begins an investigation into the circumstances related to your case as soon as feasible.
This typically means obtaining police reports, investigative documents and photographs of the scene of the incident.
This may also entail getting statements from witnesses and others who have knowledge of the facts related to your case.
After we have an understanding as to how your accident occurred and your injuries, we will approach the insurance company for the individual or company who caused the accident and attempt to negotiate a full and fair settlement.
If we cannot secure a settlement, our trial attorneys will get a lawsuit on file and get your case prepared for court.4. Settlement
Over 95% of our cases get resolved prior to trial. Many of our cases get resolved during the course of litigation or during a mediation.
Whenever your case gets settled, your lawyer will give you a complete accounting for all legal fees and expenses showing you exactly how much money you will recover.
We provide you full transparency so you are fully aware of the settlement figures.
FAQs About Chicago Slip and Fall Accidents
How Long do I Have to file a Chicago Slip and Fall Injury Lawsuit?
You have two years to file a lawsuit or take legal action in Illinois after a slip and fall accident. If victims do not notice their injuries, courts might award them more time to file. However, since these incidents are so traumatic and obvious, plaintiffs find it difficult to seek and obtain additional time. Therefore, one must assume that a fall case must be brought two years from the day of the accident.
Who is Responsible for a Trip and Fall Accident in Chicago?
Responsibility in trip and fall cases is determined by negligence standards. Any unreasonable conduct that contributes to the plaintiff’s fall may be blamed for the incident. That means the victim can sue that party in court for all their damages.
The list below summarizes some common defendants in Illinois slip and fall accidents.
- Premise owners: Property owners, commercial and private, have a legal obligation to keep their land safe for invitees and licensee. If other people slip and fall on their premises, they can be sued if the action or inaction was unreasonable for the circumstances.
- Maintenance companies: When maintenance companies are hired to clean or maintain a business or office and fail to do so, they can be held accountable for the injuries an individual sustains.
- Architects & builders: If an architect or builder does not follow an applicable building code or negligently following a building standard and a person is injured as a result, they may be held accountable in court.
- Cities: Cities have a duty to keep some areas safe. They need to make sure people do not slip on roads, sidewalks, and other places. If people do fall, then a lawsuit might be brought against that municipality.
- Third parties: If a third party causes a victim to fall, then that person might be sued in court. The action or inaction needs to be unreasonable. Examples of acts that warrant a lawsuit include shoves or trips.
What do I Need to Prove to Win a Slip and Fall Case in Illinois?
As the fall victim, plaintiffs need to prove four things to win a personal injury claim involving fall injuries in Illinois.
First, the defendant owed the plaintiff a duty. This can be as simple as noting the property owner needed to keep the area safe.
Second, the defendant breached the duty. This can be established by demonstrating the property owner was aware of the defective condition, yet failed to take corrective action.
Third and fourth, the breach caused the plaintiff’s damages. In other words, plaintiffs need to connect the dots of how the defendant’s unreasonable conduct contributed to the plaintiff’s harms. Yes, plaintiffs must actually assert and prove damages. Damages in slip and fall cases are the personal injuries the plaintiff or injured party sustained due to the fall. This includes all medical expenses, lost wages and pain related to the injury.
Is a Violation of the Chicago Building Code Evidence of Negligence in a Trip and Fall Case?
Yes. Chicago building codes are designed to keep residents and visitors of a building safe. Improperly built staircases or stairs are a common cause of trip and fall accidents, and building codes can help prove this. If you can prove that the defendant (Chicago property owners) violated a law, code, or regulation, this can be taken as evidence that the defendant was legally negligent.
Helpful Information About Slip and Fall Accident Cases in Chicago
To give you some context about your accident case in Illinois, our law firm has put together some helpful information for your convenience.
- The burden of proof: To succeed on your accident claim, Illinois premises liability law requires to you prove that the property owner did not take reasonable steps to provide a safe environment and had notice of a defective condition.
- Insurance: Property owners should have insurance for premises liability cases. If a settlement is reached, this insurance company will directly pay the plaintiff on behalf of the business owner or private individual. These insurance companies know how to fight these cases and will try their best to avoid paying.
- Damages: If you have been injured due to a slip, trip, or fall accident on another person's private property, you may be entitled to financial compensation for the cost of your medical treatment, lost wages, out-of-pocket expenses, and pain and suffering. Normally, non-economic damages double or triple a plaintiff’s out-of-pocket bills.
What to do if You Have had a Slip and Fall Accident
If you have been involved in an accident, follow these helpful instructions to give your case the best possible chance.
- Take pictures of the property immediately so that the owner is unable to tamper with the evidence found at the scene or make expedited repairs. Include photos of the exact location where you suffered harm and the property damage or hazard that caused your accident.
- Seek emergency medical treatment. It is a legal mistake to leave the scene appearing unharmed and seek treatment after the fact. By calling emergency services, you will establish a record of the incident with the authorities and the hospital where you received medical attention.
- Obtain contact information of any witnesses present when you were injured. It is vital to get in touch with anyone who can provide testimony to support your case.
- Report the accident to the property owner. You do not need to have a long conversation with the owner about your injuries or answer specific questions. However, it is essential that you inform the owner that you have been injured on their property. It is your right to refrain from any in-depth discussion about the accident until you've spoken with a personal injury lawyer.
Meet a Specialist Slip and Fall Lawyer for a Free Case Evaluation
Our law firm is proud to represent people in slip and fall cases across all of Illinois. Contact us for a free case evaluation with a Chicago slip and fall lawyer.
We will address any potential concerns or questions about your case and explain the legal theory of premises liability law applicable to your situation.