No one ever expects to be in a car accident. While most crashes happen during rush hour, they can happen anytime without warning. Most car accidents in Chicago, IL, result from driver negligence or recklessness; however, other factors can contribute to a car crash.
- Chicago Car Accident Lawyers Fighting for Crash Victims and Their Rights
- Handling a Maximum Compensation Claim Without Legal Representation from a Chicago Car Accident Attorney
- Underinsured and Uninsured Motorist (UM) Coverage
- How The Insurance Company Typically Handles a Car Accident Claim
- What We Will Do for You to Ensure Maximum Compensation
- File a Car Accident Lawsuit
- Workers’ Compensation Benefits for A Motor Vehicle Accident
- The Financial Compensation You Should Expect After Your Chicago Car Accident
- Chicago Car Accident Lawyer Cases
- Car Accident Victims in Hit-and-Run Cases
- Pedestrian and Bicycle Accidents
- Common Car Accident Injuries in Chicago
- Determining Liability for Your Vehicle Accident
- Catastrophic Car Accidents Involving Commercial Trucks
- The Illinois Statute of Limitations
- The Accident Was Not My Fault! What Do I Do Now?
- Proving Your Case
- Car Accidents in Chicago FAQs
- Contact A Car Accident Lawyer to Resolve Your Compensation Claim
The personal injury attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, LLC, are legal advocates for our clients and have obtained over $250 million on their behalf.
Did you suffer bodily injury in a car accident? If so, knowing your legal rights and options for car accidents is essential. Call a Chicago car accident lawyer today at (888) 424-5757 (toll-free phone number) or use the contact form today for immediate legal advice and schedule a free consultation.
All confidential or sensitive information you share with our legal team regarding your Chicago car accident remains private through an attorney-client relationship.
Chicago Car Accident Lawyers Fighting for Crash Victims and Their Rights
The number of car accidents in America is staggering, and you can’t prevent impaired drivers from causing damage. But what you can do is regain control of your life after car accidents occur.
The consequences are devastating, with severe loss and damage suffered by victims. Accident victims often sustain serious injuries, with thousands of fatalities in preventable car crashes yearly. Property is destroyed that is often irreplaceable without legal intervention.
Contacting a Chicago car accident lawyer is the first step to recovery. We will safeguard your rights, obtain fair compensation, and ultimately assist you in getting your life back on track.
Handling a Maximum Compensation Claim Without Legal Representation from a Chicago Car Accident Attorney
Within the first few days following a car accident, the other motorist’s insurer will likely contact you regarding your car accident claim. They will try to:
- Determine the at-fault party
- Discuss in detail how the car accident occurred
Our personal injury law firm often advises potential clients to watch what they say during the call. Insurance claim adjusters are trained with proven tactics to get people to admit fault.
Often, they ask leading questions that are difficult to answer without implicating the individual as though they are responsible for the accident that occurred.
If you choose to speak without the representation of an auto accident attorney, only give basic details of the events.
Underinsured and Uninsured Motorist (UM) Coverage
By law, all drivers operating motor vehicles in Illinois carry uninsured motorist (UM) coverage. This coverage protects drivers and their passengers if they are involved in a car accident with a driver who does not have automobile liability insurance.
Drivers and passengers involved in an accident with an uninsured motorist can file car accident claims with their uninsured motorist coverage.
The injured driver’s insurance carrier will investigate the accident and will typically try to settle the auto insurance claim quickly and for less than the policy limits.
Underinsured Motorist Coverage
If you are injured in an uninsured motorist accident, speak to an experienced Chicago car accident lawyer as soon as possible. Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, LLC attorneys have years of experience representing uninsured motorists’ car crash victims.
A car accident lawyer from our law office can assist you in recovering the fair compensation you deserve. We offer a free consultation to discuss your case with an experienced car accident injury lawyer and determine your legal options.
Each Chicago car accident lawyer works on a contingency fee basis, so you don’t have to pay us unless we recover compensation for you.
How The Insurance Company Typically Handles a Car Accident Claim
When the insurance companies’ drivers involved in a car accident are informed of the crash, they dispatch insurance adjusters to the scene. The adjusters will investigate the accident and develop a theory about who caused the crash.
The insurance company will typically try to settle the claim quickly and within the policy limits. They are a business, too, and aim to avoid paying more money than necessary on the claim.
If the injured person does not have a Chicago car accident lawyer, the insurance company often offers well below what the case is worth.
Never Accept the First Settlement Offer
Insurers use various tactics to lowball the car accident settlement, hoping the injured victims accept the offer before they understand:
- The extent of their damages
- The severity of their car accident injuries
- The long-term impact the accident will have on their life
An experienced Chicago car accident lawyer fighting for your rights is crucial when dealing with the insurance company.
Contact Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, LLC, the injury lawyers with years of experience dealing with insurance companies and getting our clients the best possible settlement.
What We Will Do for You to Ensure Maximum Compensation
Our legal practice will determine your claim’s value through a comprehensive case review to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
We work on a contingency fee, so you only have to pay us for our fees if we recover compensation.
Identify All Defendants
Your Chicago car accident lawyer might identify multiple defendants to add to your case’s legal claim or lawsuit, such as –
- Other at-fault drivers
- The vehicle manufacturer
- The roadway designer or maintainer
- The municipality
Our legal practice will collect all of the evidence needed to support your case, including –
- Photos of the crash scene
- Pictures of the vehicles involved in the crash
- Police reports
- Witness statements
- Medical records
- Video footage of the accident (if available)
Negotiate A Settlement With The Insurance Company
Our legal practice will negotiate a fair and full settlement with the insurance company on your behalf. We have years of experience negotiating with insurers and getting clients the best possible settlement.
Resolving a personal injury claim might take multiple negotiation settlement meetings, especially if multiple defendants are involved in the crash.
File a Car Accident Lawsuit
Our law firms will file a car accident lawsuit on your behalf when enough evidence is available. A lawsuit will allow us to take the defendant’s insurer to court and fight for a fair trial.
Submitting a claim through our law firms will inform the insurance company that you have an experienced and aggressive law firm fighting for your rights.
In addition, the representation could result in a better settlement offer from the insurance company.
Workers’ Compensation Benefits for A Motor Vehicle Accident
Were you injured in a car wreck while on company time, driving your vehicle, or theirs?
If so, we will carefully examine the circumstances of your case to determine if any other liens, workers’ compensation benefits, or health care is available to help you recover damages.
By Illinois law, your employer must carry workers’ compensation insurance to pay for any medical bills and lost income if you are injured. This insurance coverage might include any damages generated while working, on your way to work, or driving a company vehicle.
However, a strict statute of limitations exists on filing for workers’ compensation benefits. Speak to a Chicago car accident lawyer as soon as possible.
The Financial Compensation You Should Expect After Your Chicago Car Accident
Suffering severe injuries, facing high auto repair bills, or losing a loved one in a car accident can be financially devastating. Unfortunately, you might not know where to turn for help.
Our law firm has helped thousands of Illinoisans and Chicagoans, and we can help you too. We will fight to get you the fair and total compensation you deserve to cover all your accident-related expenses (including future medical costs).
How much compensation you could receive is based on the extent of your damages. You can expect to receive compensation that covers –
- Medical bills: Nearly all moderate to severe car accidents result in enormous medical costs that include hospital bills, surgical care, counseling, physical therapy, rehabilitation, assisted devices, prescription drugs, emergency medical treatment, and ongoing care (future medical expenses).
- Loss of income: Many car and truck accidents leave injured victims unable to return to work or reduce their future earning capacity either temporarily or permanently.
- Pain and suffering: The physical and emotional harm you experience from a car accident can be significant.
- Punitive damages: If the at-fault driver’s actions were reckless or malicious, you might be able to recover additional money to punish (punitive damages) the at-fault party.
If you have been injured in a Chicago car accident, do not hesitate to contact Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, LLC, for immediate legal assistance with your motor vehicle accident case.
Chicago Car Accident Lawyer Cases
For years, each Chicago car accident lawyer at our law office has handled car accident cases involving single vehicles, multiple vehicles, pedestrians, bicyclists, motorcycles, commercial trucks, and more.
The major types of car accidents we accept include:
- Fatal crashes (wrongful death claims)
- Head-on collisions
- Rear-end accidents
- T-bone accidents
- Sideswipe accidents
- Side-impact collisions
- Intersection accidents
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist accidents
- Uber and Lyft crashes
- Taxi accidents
- Rental car crashes
- Night driving crashes
- Teenage driver accidents
- Vehicles striking pedestrians or bicyclists
- Commercial truck accidents
- Hit-and-run accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Car and pedestrian accidents
Our Chicago car accident lawyers are here to help you and your family member file a personal injury lawsuit to recover the just compensation you deserve. Contact us today for a free legal consultation.
Car Accident Victims in Hit-and-Run Cases
Hit-and-run accidents are too common where the at-fault driver responsible for causing the crash flees the crash scene. Fortunately, you are likely still covered under your insurance policy to pay for all non-economic and economic damages associated with a hit-and-run crash.
Under Illinois law, insurance companies must provide uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM) insurance coverage if you are the victim of a hit-and-run accident.
This requirement means you can still recover economic damages from your policy up to your coverage limits even if the at-fault driver is never apprehended.
Our Chicago car accident lawyers can help you file a UM claim and negotiate with your auto insurer to get your compensation.
We have successfully represented hit-and-run victims in court against their insurance companies and recovered millions of dollars in economic damages for our plaintiff’s injuries. Let our car accident attorneys help you too.
Pedestrian and Bicycle Accidents
Thousands of pedestrians are killed or injured in vehicle accidents yearly. Many of these accidents could be prevented if drivers exercised caution around pedestrians.
If you are a pedestrian injured in an accident, you should contact experienced Chicago car accident lawyers. You may be entitled to pursue compensation for your medical bills, lost earnings, and pain and suffering.
According to car accident statistics involving bicycles:
- Vehicles striking pedestrians or bicyclists account for almost half of all traffic fatalities in the United States.
- The number of bicyclist and pedestrian fatalities has increased from 5,376 in 2015 to 7,468 in 2020. This rate is a significant increase of 41%.
- In Chicago, there were 97 pedestrian fatalities in 2019. This rate is a significant increase from the 73 pedestrian fatalities in 2018.
- Bicyclist fatalities have also increased from 8 in 2013 to 19 in 2019. These bike/car accident statistics reveal a significant increase of 138%.
Common Car Accident Injuries in Chicago
Even a minor injury can leave the victim with life-changing harm, requiring adjustments in daily life. Our Chicago car accident lawyers have handled many cases where our clients have suffered injuries after the crash.
Common car accident injuries include:
- Whiplash: The quick thrust of a collision can whip the head and neck, often causing severe injury with pain and stiffness in the cervical spine.
- Concussion: A concussion is a traumatic brain injury that can cause dizziness, nausea, vomiting, confusion, and headache.
- Spinal Cord Injury: Damage to the spinal cord can lead to paralysis or loss of limb mobility.
- Traumatic brain injury: A hard blow to the head can cause the brain to collide with the skull, leading to swelling and potential damage.
- Puncture wounds: Any sharp object during the collision can puncture the skin, skull, internal organs, muscles, and even bone.
- Chest Injury: A chest injury can leave an injured car accident victim with difficulty breathing, chest pain, serious injury, and even death.
- Eye Injury: Eye injuries can cause blindness and even permanent vision loss.
- Foot and knee injuries: The driver and front-seat passengers are highly susceptible to foot and knee injuries during a head-on collision or side-impact crash.
- Cuts and lacerations: The shattered glass from the windshield or side windows can leave the car accident victim with a severe injury, including a deep cut and facial laceration leaving deformity, scar tissue, or nerve damage.
You should immediately contact an experienced Chicago car accident lawyer if you have been injured in an automobile accident. You may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost earnings, and pain and suffering.
Our trial lawyers have years of experience handling Chicago car accident cases and know how to get you the compensation you deserve.
Determining Liability for Your Vehicle Accident
Identifying all parties involved in a collision requires intense and time-consuming investigative work. Our legal team will hire accident reconstruction experts to evaluate what happened and determine who caused the wreck.
Many Chicago, IL car accident cases we have handled and resolved involve:
- Drunk driving: Operating a vehicle under the influence of drugs or alcohol is illegal. Even though there are laws to protect against drunk driving, many of our clients were severely hurt or killed due to someone else’s negligence while impaired behind the wheel.
- Failure to yield: Drivers who do not yield to pedestrians in a crosswalk or stop for a stop sign can be held liable for any injuries the pedestrian sustains.
- Distracted driving: Drivers talking on the phone, texting, eating, or adjusting the radio can be held responsible for any collisions they cause.
- Illegal lane changes: Swerving in and out of lanes can be extremely dangerous, especially at high speeds.
- Running stop signs or red lights: Drivers who run stop signs or red lights are often in a hurry and end up causing severe collisions.
- Speeding: Driving too fast for the conditions is one of the leading causes of automobile accidents.
- Reckless driving: When a driver dangerously operates a vehicle, they can be charged with reckless driving.
- Hitting objects on the road: If a driver hits a pothole or debris in the road or another vehicle, they can be liable for any damages.
- Faulty brakes or bald tires: A vehicle with defective brakes or bald tires is a hazard on the road, and the driver can be held liable for vehicle accidents.
- Defective car parts: The manufacturer can be liable for damages if a defective car part causes a crash.
- Road rage: When one driver becomes angry and lashes out at another driver, it can lead to dangerous driving behavior and serious accidents.
If you have been injured in an automobile accident, our civil law team can help you identify all liable parties and get you the compensation you deserve.
Catastrophic Car Accidents Involving Commercial Trucks
The sheer size and weight of a fully loaded semi-tractor trailer traveling at any speed can cause severe injuries and death when hitting a passenger vehicle.
According to the Illinois Department of Transportation, in 2016 1,921 crashes involved commercial trucks in Illinois. Of those crashes, 104 were fatal, and 1,817 resulted in injuries.
Many of these crashes involved colliding with other drivers stopped at a red light or turning left in front of the truck.
The Illinois Statute of Limitations
The Illinois state legislature has enacted a statute of limitations on filing personal injury cases. According to the law (735 ILCS 5/13-202) regarding injury claims, victims with damages can file a Chicago car accident claim within two years from the car accident date.
If you do not file a car accident lawsuit before the two-year deadline, you will lose your right to pursue any legal action. However, extenuating circumstances may allow you to file past the deadline. Contact an experienced Chicago car accident lawyer to discuss your options.
This time limit applies to all Chicago, IL, car accident lawsuits.
The Accident Was Not My Fault! What Do I Do Now?
If the accident was not your fault, immediately contact an experienced Chicago car accident lawyer. We can help you protect your rights and get the compensation you deserve.
You may be entitled to non-economic and economic damages for medical costs, lost income, and pain and suffering. The Chicago car accident attorney will negotiate with the insurer on your behalf and get you the best possible settlement.
An attorney can file a car accident lawsuit on your behalf and take the case to trial if the insurance company refuses to settle.
Speaking to a Chicago car accident lawyer as soon as possible after an accident is essential to receive legal counsel and discuss your options.
Proving Your Case
Under civil tort law, you must prove negligence that someone (negligent driver) or some entity (automobile manufacturer, road maintenance crew, etc.) is responsible for damages to settle your claim or win your car accident case at trial. You’ll need to prove the four elements of civil law, including –
- The individual or entity at fault for the accident must ensure your safety.
- The breach of their duty led to your severe car accident injury.
- The accident resulted in injuries and damages.
- You can prove your damages in court if necessary. You will need evidence to support your car accident case, including eyewitness testimony, medical bills and treatment records, cell phone records (if distracted driving is suspected), and photographs.
Car Accidents in Chicago FAQs
Our Illinois personal injury law firm understands that many families have unanswered questions negotiating with the other driver’s insurance company to resolve a compensation claim after a crash. Chicago car accident lawyers from our law office have answered some of those questions below.
Call our law office at (888) 424-5757, use the contact form for additional information, or schedule a free consultation to discuss your case.
What Should You Do After a Car Accident?
The steps you take immediately after the accident happened could make the difference between life and death. While your adrenaline flows within the first few moments, keeping calm and checking your health and the conditions of others involved in the collision is essential. Next:
- Call 911: If possible, contact local law enforcement to initiate a response to the accident scene by police officers and emergency medical personnel.
- Assess your health: You may believe you are not injured when confused and dazed. However, the adrenaline in your bloodstream might mask severe car accident injuries.
- Assess the condition of others: If you can move, check on the well-being of your passengers and any other motorists or pedestrians involved in the accident.
- Exchange information: Once you have ensured that everyone is safe and has received medical attention, it is time to gather information. You will need the names, contact information, and insurance information of the other driver involved in the accident. You should also take photos of the damage to all vehicles and any visible injuries.
- File a report: Depending on the accident’s severity, you may need to file a police report. If there is significant property damage or injury, it is always best to process with caution and contact law enforcement.
After you have taken care of the immediate aftermath of the accident, there are a few follow-up tasks you should do to protect your interests.
- Receive medical attention: Get checked out by a medical professional as soon as possible. They will be able to properly assess any injuries you may have sustained and provide you with the necessary treatment.
- Contact your insurance company: Reporting what happened with an adjuster with your insurance company could help you cover your damages, including vehicle repair costs and out-of-pocket expenses.
- File an insurance claim: Your next step should be to contact the insurance company and file a claim. Be sure to have all of the required documentation, such as photos and police reports, ready to submit.
- Hire Chicago auto accident lawyers: If the accident is severe or you are having trouble getting the insurance adjuster to cooperate, you may need to hire a car crash attorney to help you navigate the legal process and ensure that you get the compensation you deserve.
How Much is My Serious Car Accident Injury Worth in a Compensation Claim?
The value of your claim will depend on the severity of your external and internal injuries, the amount of medical treatment to heal, including future medical expenses, and the amount of time you cannot work.
You may be entitled to non-economic and economic damages for medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Contact Chicago car accident attorneys to discuss your case and to estimate what your claim is worth.
What Happens If the Other Driver In My Accident Was Uninsured?
If the other driver in your auto accident was uninsured, you might still be able to file a claim against your own auto insurer. Your insurer’s claims adjuster will investigate the accident and may decide to cover your damages.
However, speaking with a Chicago auto accident attorney to discuss your options to hold the other driver accountable is essential.
What Do I Do If the Other Driver’s Auto Insurance Company Denied My Car Accident Claim?
If the other party’s auto insurer denies liability in your car crash, you may need to file a car accident lawsuit to get the compensation you deserve. Speaking with Chicago auto accident lawyers as soon as possible is crucial to discuss your options.
An attorney working on your behalf may be able to help you resolve your car accident case by filing with your insurer using uninsured or underinsured coverage. Contact us today for a free case consultation.
Is It Essential to Hire Car Accident Lawyers to Handle an Auto Accident Case?
An attorney can help you protect your rights and get your deserved compensation. For example, you may be entitled to damages for medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Your Chicago car accident lawyer will negotiate with the car insurance company on your behalf and get you the best possible settlement. However, if the insurer does not offer a fair settlement, the attorney can file a civil lawsuit on your behalf and go to court.
How Do Insurance Companies Decide Who Is at Fault?
Every driver’s insurance company has unique rules when assigning fault, though most will make a liability call based on the following elements:
- How congested traffic was during the collision
- If there were any sudden or rapid movements when the crash occurred
- The driver’s degree of care while driving
- Speed and other road conditions
- Evidence at the accident scene
The insurance carrier will use current guidelines to determine liability if there is no evidence that one driver failed to maintain reasonable control over their vehicle (i.e., brake failure).
These guidelines might include identifying any liability against –
- The person who ran a red light
- Whether both drivers followed traffic laws
- If one driver entered from an uncontrolled intersection with reduced visibility
- The driver that had the green light
Most auto accidents occur in densely populated areas. Nearly all car accident cases are resolved through negotiated settlements.
If the accident victims suffered catastrophic injuries or died, the resolution process might take many months or years.
Contact A Car Accident Lawyer to Resolve Your Compensation Claim
Did your loved one suffer severe or fatal injuries in a vehicle crash? If so, contact our Chicago car accident lawyers at (888) 424-5757 or use the contact form as soon as possible. We can help protect your rights and get the compensation you deserve.
Speak with our Chicago accident injury law firm representing car accident victims. Claims we litigate for clients include medical malpractice, product liability, construction accidents, nursing home abuse, etc.
Contingency Fee Agreement
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, LLC’s attorneys accept all car accident injury claims and wrongful death cases on a contingency fee agreement. This arrangement ensures our clients have legal representation without paying upfront out-of-pocket expenses.
Our law firm advances all expenses in resolving a car accident claim and gets paid only when negotiating a settlement or winning a jury trial award. Our “No-Win/No-Fee” Guarantee is simple: We do not get paid if you do not win!
All confidential or sensitive information you share with our law firm remains private through an attorney-client relationship.
- Types of Car Accidents
- Causes of Car Accidents
- Illinois Law
- Car Accident Injury FAQ’s
- Typical Car Accident Settlement Amounts
- Auto Insurance Claim Lawyer
- Illinois DMV Locations for Drivers Licenses
- How to Get a Chicago Police Report After an Accident
- Chicago Lyft Accident Lawyer
- Car Insurance Bodily Injury Claim Disputes
- Chicago Uninsured (UM) and Under-Insured Motorist (UIM) Claim Lawyer
- Chicago Drunk Driving Accident Attorney
- Out Of State Residents Injured in Illinois Auto Accidents
- How to Recover Damages From a Car Accident
- Holiday Auto Accident Statistics
- Illinois Vehicle Accident Statistics
- Chicago Food Delivery Accident Lawyer
- Car Accident Reconstruction
- Chicago Side Impact Collision Lawyer
- Unsafe Lane Change
- Chicago Running a Stop Sign Accident Lawyer
- Police Chase Accidents
- Airbag Injury
- Burns from Car Accidents
- Fetal Death in Car Accident
- Hand Injury From Car Accident: Types & Average Settlement Values
- Hip Injury (Fracture) From Car Accident
- Occupant Ejection from Car Accidents
- Pregnant Women Injured in Car Accidents
- Seatbelt Injuries