Semi-truck accidents are becoming increasingly common, and if you’re unlucky enough to be involved in one, you’ll likely want to know what to expect in terms of a settlement.
Semi-truck accidents can cause significant damage, both physically and financially. Victims often have to deal with large medical bills, extensive vehicle repairs, and missed work.
Have you been injured in a truck accident? If so, our team of experienced personal injury attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC can help. We have a proven track record of obtaining fair compensation and just settlements for our clients. Here, our attorneys discuss the average truck accident settlement to give you a flavor as to how these cases are evaluated.
Contact a Chicago truck accident lawyer today for a free consultation to find out how we can help you. We have successfully recovered millions of dollars in settlements for our clients, and we’re ready to fight for you.
We have compiled information on the average truck accident settlement to prepare you for a better outcome.
Our guide provides an overview of the process, what to expect from insurance or trucking companies, and how to get a fair settlement for your injuries.
National Semi-Truck Accident Statistics
Semi-truck accidents are unfortunately quite common. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, over 3,000 fatal semi-truck accidents will occur in the United States in 2019. That’s an average of 8 per day.
These accidents can cause serious injury or death to drivers and passengers in other vehicles, pedestrians, and cyclists. For example, there were 95 fatal semi-trailer accidents in Illinois in 2018. That’s an average of 1 per week.
According to the Illinois Department of Transportation, the most common type of collision involving a truck is the rear-end collision. These collisions can be deadly because of the size and weight of the trucks.
Semi-trailer accidents can also cause extensive property and vehicle damage. So, if you’ve been involved in a car accident, it’s essential to seek legal help. The attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers can help you get the compensation you deserve.
Causes & Effects of Semi-Truck Accidents
When it comes to semi-trailer accidents, there is often a lot of confusion over who is at fault. Several factors can cause these accidents. Understanding them is key to avoiding such accidents in the future. Let’s take a closer look at each of these causes:
Truck Driver Error
Truck drivers play a critical role in the safe operation of a semi-trailer, and when they make mistakes, it can lead to serious accidents. Some of the most common driver errors include speeding, driving while tired or impaired, and failure to obey traffic laws.
Equipment failure is another common cause of semi-trailer accidents. It can include problems with the truck’s brakes, tires, or engine, among other things.
Bad weather can also be a significant factor in semi-trailer accidents. Heavy rains, high winds, and snowstorms can make it difficult for drivers to operate a truck safely.
Truck Driver Negligence
Driver negligence is another common cause of semi-trailer accidents, including tailgating, improper lane changes, and failure to yield the right of way.
Road hazards, such as potholes, construction zones, and uneven surfaces can also lead to semi-trailer accidents.
Poor Truck Maintenance
Finally, poor truck maintenance can be a significant contributor to semi-trailer accidents. It can include faulty brakes, broken tail lights, and worn-out tires.
While understanding the causes of semi-trailer accidents is essential, it’s equally important to understand these accidents’ effects.
Some of the most common effects of semi-trailer accidents include:
- Property loss
The effects can be devastating. If someone you know has been involved in a trailer collision and results in the individual’s death, it’s important to seek legal advice immediately.
You can file a wrongful death lawsuit, and the experienced attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers can help you get the compensation you deserve.
What to Do If You’re Involved in a Semi-Truck Accident
A truck collision might be a distressing and life-changing event, which may leave you feeling anxious and overwhelmed.
However, there are a few things you should do immediately after a trailer crash:
- First, stay calm and don’t panic: This is easier said than done, but staying calm and focused is essential. Panicking will only make the situation worse.
- Check for injuries: If you’re injured, seek medical attention immediately.
- Call the police: Report the accident to the police and get a copy of the collision report.
- Get contact information: Get the contact information of the other drivers involved in the crash and witnesses, including name, address, phone number, and insurance information.
- Take pictures: If you can, take photos of the collision scene, your injuries, and the damage to your vehicle.
- Seek legal representation: If you’ve been injured in a trailer collision, contact an experienced personal injury lawyer. Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers can help you get the compensation you deserve. As you can see, truck accidents can be quite serious and often result in severe injuries or death. Therefore, if you’ve been involved in a semi-trailer crash, it’s important to seek legal help. Again, Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers can help you get the compensation you deserve.
- Contact your insurance company: Inform your insurer about the crash and file a personal injury claim.
Factors That Affect the Average Truck Accident Settlement
State liability laws and contributory negligence are considered when negotiating truck accident settlements.
The state where the accident occurred typically determines who is at fault and how much compensation is available to the victim. If the victim was partially at fault for the accident, their settlement might be reduced.
Other factors can affect the amount of average settlement for truck accidents. Some of these factors include:
- The severity of the crash.
- The extent of the injuries.
- The amount of property damage.
- The amount of liability insurance coverage available.
- The liability of the parties involved.
- Pain and suffering damages.
- Whether or not the case goes to trial.
Each of these factors can have a significant impact on the amount of money that is awarded in a truck accident claim. Therefore, it is essential to discuss your case with an experienced truck accident lawyer to understand better how these factors could affect your case. Contact us today for a free consultation.
The Severity of The Accident
The severity of the crash is one of the most critical factors that affect truck collision deals. The more severe the accident, the more money you can expect to receive in a settlement. Injuries that are considered to be catastrophic or life-altering can result in a large settlement award.
The Extent of Injuries
The extent of the injuries is another important factor that affects truck accident claims. Injuries such as broken bones, spinal cord injuries, and head and neck injuries can result in significant damage. Therefore, if you have suffered serious injuries in a truck accident, you can expect to receive a higher settlement award.
The Amount of Property Damage
The amount of damaged property is also a key factor that affects a semi-truck accident case. The insurance company will need to pay more money to repair or replace the property damages. If the property is damaged extensively, you can expect to receive a larger settlement award.
The Amount of Liability Insurance Coverage Available
The amount of liability insurance coverage available is another important factor that affects a truck accident’s average settlement. If the trucking company has high insurance coverage available to pay out claims, they may be more likely to offer a larger settlement award.
On the other hand, most insurance companies involved in injury claims are not very well-funded; they offer a low settlement value that may not cover the plaintiff’s total medical costs.
The Liability of the Parties Involved
The parties’ liability is a key factor that will affect an average semi-truck accident settlement. If the truck driver is at fault for the accident, they will be liable for the damages for medical bills, lost wages, etc., including the trucking company.
It means that they may be required to pay a larger settlement award. Conversely, if the victim is at fault for the accident, they may be required to pay a minor settlement award.
Pain and Suffering Damages
Pain and suffering damages are other essential factors affecting a semi-truck accident settlement. These damages are designed to compensate the victim for the pain and suffering due to the accident.
If you have suffered from significant pain and suffering, you can expect to receive a larger settlement award. In some cases, the court can also award the plaintiff punitive damages.
Whether or not the Case Goes to Trial
Finally, whether or not the case goes to trial is another important factor that will affect a truck accident settlement. If the case goes to trial, the parties may recover more damages. However, if the case settles out of court, the parties may receive a lower settlement award.
Samples of Truck Accident Settlements We Have Achieved
Our law firm has handled a wide range of clients in commercial vehicle accidents. We also assist workers in the transportation sector who have been injured because of someone else’s negligence.
Some of our successful truck accident settlements include:
- $2,000,000: This settlement was reached for a vehicle owner rear-ended by a drunk truck driver. The vehicle driver suffered significant injuries, including a broken leg and ankle. The at-fault party paid $2 million for his medical bills and part of his lost wages.
- $750,000: The victim suffered a traumatic brain injury, broken ribs, and a punctured lung after getting into a trucking accident. A settlement offer of $750,000 was reached.
- $675,000: This settlement was reached for a passenger vehicle driver rear-ended by a tractor-trailer. The driver suffered a herniated disc and nerve damage, and he claimed that the accident caused him to undergo multiple surgeries.
- $720,000: Seven friends traveled in a van when a tractor-trailer T-boned it. Four people were killed, and three were seriously injured. The tractor driver was at fault because the accident occurred while changing lanes.
- $1,400,000: A commercial truck accident case. Plaintiff suffered a bilateral femur fracture, a collapsed lung, and a head injury. A settlement offer of 1.4 million dollars was reached with the trucking company, including the total cost of the medical expenses.
- $870,000: Our client was traveling as a passenger on the motorcycle. The truck driver failed to yield the right of way and caused a serious accident. As a result, he received $870,000, including his medical bills and lost wages.
These are only a few examples of our law firm’s types of settlements for our clients. So, if you or a family member have been injured in a truck accident, we may be able to help you.
Reasons Why You Should Hire A Personal Injury Lawyer for Your Case
If you have been injured in a truck accident, you may be wondering if you need to hire a lawyer. It may be advisable to have a truck accident attorney represent you to negotiate a settlement with the insurance company in most truck accident cases.
Here are a few reasons why you might want to consider hiring a personal injury lawyer:
The Insurance Company May Not Be Negotiating in Good Faith:
In some cases, the truck driver’s insurance policy may not be negotiated in good faith. They may be trying to offer a low settlement value to avoid paying out more money in damages, such as medical costs and lost wages. A personal injury lawyer can help you negotiate a fair settlement with the insurance company.
You May Not be Familiar with the Legal System:
If you are not familiar with the legal system, it may be a good idea to hire an experienced lawyer. A lawyer will guide you through the legal process and help you get a high settlement value.
You May Not Feel Like You Are Up to Negotiating a Settlement:
Are you not feeling well or unsure what to do, or does the collision involve multiple parties? If so, you may want to consider hiring a qualified attorney to help you negotiate a fair settlement with the trucking companies.
You May Not Know What to Expect:
If you have never been in a commercial truck collision before, you may not know what to expect. A lawyer can help you understand the process and what to expect.
Talk to a Truck Accident Lawyer in Chicago for a Free Consultation Today
Hire a personal injury lawyer today. Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC offers free consultations to injured victims and their families. We offer a free consultation with a fee contingency agreement. Meaning we aren’t paid until we win full and fair compensation for you.
A consultation with one of our attorneys specially trained in this area can help you better understand your rights and options. For example, you may be entitled to significant compensation for your injuries, and our attorneys can help you get the money you deserve.
If you would like more information on average truck accident settlements or to discuss your case with a truck accident lawyer, please call our law firm for a free case evaluation. We can review your case and inform you if we believe you have a valid claim. So, call us today at (888) 424-5757 to schedule a free consultation.