Annual Single Mother Scholarship Sponsored By Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC believes in the empowerment of single mothers through education. Education has the power to open doors for single mothers and even their children. Having a degree or certification can enable a woman to expand her lifetime earning potential, increase her gross income, and provide her with better job opportunities.
In turn, this allows a single mother to financially support her children, purchase groceries, afford a mortgage and provide a stable household for the family. Even though it can be difficult to care for a child while pursuing an education, the rewards of an education far outweigh the challenges. We want to expand opportunities for single mothers who are going back to school by offering two $1,000 scholarships (one awarded to a single mother in an undergraduate program or community college and one to a single mother enrolled in an accredited law school)
The Application Process
To apply for a scholarship from RIL, write a 500+ word essay on the advantages of going back to school while caring for your children as a mother. How do you believe motherhood has helped prepare you for the challenges that you will face as a student? Examples may include the ability to succeed in time management skills, ability to listen carefully to others and ability to effectively manage multiple priorities. Craft your essay and explain your answer.
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC will review applications and award 2 applicants with a $1,000 scholarship each. The scholarship may be used to cover school-related expenses, such as tuition fees, registration costs, supplies and books.
After we review the submissions, we will choose 5 finalists for the scholarship. Staff at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC will elect the winners.
Scholarship Applicant Criteria
Scholarship applicants must fulfill the following criteria:
- Enrollment in an accredited high school, college or university in the U.S.
- Must be a mother who is attending school
- Scholarships will be awarded to both women enrolled in a law school and undergraduate program
- Maintain a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of a minimum of 3.0
- Applications must be received by December 5, 2021
- Winner will be notified via email on or before January 15, 2022
- Submissions are accepted via email by Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC (we are not accepting print applications) email: Jonathan@rosenfeldinjurylawyers.com must include: ‘Scholarship’ in the subject
- You accept that your essay will be published on the RIL website and social media if chosen as a finalist
- Must submit a copy of your transcript indicating your Grade Point Average (GPA) – we accept unofficial transcripts
- Applicants should make a digital copy of their scholarship application for their own records
- By submitting your essay, you authorize Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC to post the material on its website and social media channels.
The Importance of Education: Single Mother Statistics
Today, single motherhood has become a norm in modern society. Single mothers make up the majority of single-parent households in the U.S. and carry a difficult burden in managing a household, producing an income and also carrying for the physical and emotional needs of their children. About 4 out of 10 children are born to single mothers in the U.S. and over 2/3 of these mothers are under 30.
Over 80 percent of single parent families are headed by single mothers in the U.S. Half of the households headed by single mothers have one child, while 30 percent have two children.
Single parents may find it difficult to provide the things that children need to be competitive and succeed in school, such as a laptop, iPad, books or other equipment. Over 50 percent of single mother families have an annual income of less than $25,000. This income level can make it difficult for children to break free from a cycle of poverty. RIL believes in breaking the cycle of poverty by expanding educational opportunities for single mothers.
Single mothers also have difficulty in receiving the child support that they are entitled to under the law. Only 1/3 of single mothers receive child support, and the average amount of monthly child support received is $300.
Other relevant statistics regarding single motherhood and the importance of education in changing these statistics are:
- Single-mother families are 40.9 percent more likely to experience poverty in comparison with 8.8 percent for married-couple families
- 47.6 percent of poverty-stricken children live in single-mother households
- Only 10.9 percent of poverty-stricken children live in married-couple households
- 2/5 of single mother families are “food insecure” according to the USDA Economic Research Service
- The majority of single mothers are separated, divorced or widowed
- 40 percent of U.S. single parents are employed in jobs that pay low wages
- Only 24 percent of unemployed single mothers in the U.S. receive unemployment benefits
Follow RIL on Social Media
The Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC Single Mother Scholarship Program is aimed at assisting single mothers in beating these odds by succeeding in life through education. To learn more about the scholarship or submit your application, like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter. We will carefully consider applications to choose 5 finalists and post the selected essays on our website. The two essays that receive the most support on social media sites will be awarded a $1,000 scholarship each.
About Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC
Based in Chicago, Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC is a full-service personal injury and medical malpractice law firm serving clients in Illinois and throughout the country. Many of our cases involve serious injuries or death. A large percentage of our cases involve motor vehicle collisions such as car crashes or collisions with bicyclists. We also represent people from areas that have been injured by medical devices and pharmaceutical drugs.
Updated: January 10, 2020