Forceps Birth Delivery Error Malpractice Lawyers
Birth injuries are not uncommon and the majority of injuries suffered during delivery are minor and easily treated with proper monitoring and care. Forceps deliveries increase the risk of trauma and complications and should only be performed if there is fetal distress or extended labor. Doctors and attending nurses may be liable for medical malpractice for any act of negligence during a forceps delivery that causes a birth injury if it is determined that the injury could have been prevented. Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC is a personal injury law firm in Illinois that is dedicated to holding negligent medical professionals accountable and ensuring that the families of those who suffer lifelong consequences of these injuries do not need to endure an additional financial burden.
Risks to the Mother during a Forceps Delivery
Forceps deliveries may cause harm to the mother as well as the child and common injuries that occur include to the mother include the following.
- Damage to the lower urinary tract resulting in difficulty urinating, incontinence, pain and swelling and infections.
- Uterine rupture, which is when the delivery causes the child to be pushed through the uterus into the mother’s abdominal cavity, posing a severe risk to her life.
- Anemia brought about by internal bleeding.
- Pelvic organ prolapse, which is caused by weakened pelvic muscles that are unable to hold the pelvic organs in place.
Risks to the Child during a Forceps Delivery
The newborn is at risk for many complications during a forceps delivery and may have suffered trauma before the procedure was ordered. Fetal distress is often the reason a doctor will order a forceps delivery and it is often the last option chosen before an emergency C-section. The most common injuries to infants during a forceps delivery include the following.
- Injuries to the face that vary in severity. In some cases, there may be paralysis of facial muscles known as facial palsy.
- Fracturing of the skull that causes multiple complications such as internal bleeding, brain damage, cerebral palsy or death.
- Swelling or internal bleeding inside the skull present even in the absence of a fracture.
- Seizures brought on by trauma to the brain.
When to Consult a Birth Injury Lawyer After A Forceps Delivery
Medical malpractice cases can be challenging and have a lower success rate than other personal injury cases. If your child was injured during birth, it is important to collect as many details about the care provided through the delivery and speak with an attorney about your legal options. Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC will evaluate and investigate the details of your case for free if you feel that you do not know where to begin collecting information.
Our attorneys have a higher rate of success with birth injury law cases because we have medical experts available to us who can support your claim and provide testimony to prove deviation from the standard of care. Contact us today for your free consultation so that we can begin to fight on your behalf for the compensation you are entitled to. We will never expect payment until we win or settle your case.
For more information about , please contact Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC today by calling 888-424-5757. Talk to a lawyer now. Free consultation.