The enormous size and weight of a large big rig truck traveling at excessive speed can cause catastrophic injuries and extensive property damage even when the accident is relatively minor. A large heavy commercial vehicle colliding with a passenger vehicle can lead to severe injuries and death. Statistics maintained by the IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) revealed that one in seven fatalities associated with truck crashes involve the death of the truck driver compared to trucks colliding with smaller vehicles, motorcycles, bicycles, and pedestrians result in the remaining six out of seven deaths. The commercial truck accident injury attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC have represented many victims of horrific truck accidents to ensure our client was compensated for their damages.
Typically, a commercial truck can weigh up to three times more than a passenger vehicle and have a significantly higher clearance from the ground that results in small vehicles rear-ending and “under-riding” the trailer. Additionally, the truck requires 40% more distance than a passenger vehicle coming to a complete stop when traveling at the same speed. A fatigued, distracted, or impaired trucker can cause dangerous outcomes if the truck crashes into a passenger car.
Enforced federal and state rules and regulations require the monitoring truckers and commercial vehicles to ensure that the motoring public remains safe. These laws help to regulate the trucking industry in numerous ways that include:
- Truck maintenance;
- Truck driving training, licensing and operational rules;
- Restrictions on the length, height, and weight of the semi truck and trailer;
- Roadway safety requirements;
- Specified precautionary measures like under right prevention barriers;
- Trucking industry standards of care.
Breaking any one of these regulations is a violation of the law. Because of that, many truck owners and operators will go to great lengths to cover-up any regulatory violation to limit or redirect their liability toward the injured victims. Personal injury attorneys handling catastrophic truck injury accidents will investigate the incident, gather evidence and preserve crucial information that can be used in a court of law to obtain compensation.
Hours of Service Violation
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) enforces rules and regulations that every trucker must follow to prevent fatigue while driving. The law requires that the trucker must take a 10-hour break after driving for 11 hours. Additionally, the trucker cannot drive longer than 14 consecutive hours following a 10-hour off-duty break. Also, the trucker is required to take a 30-minute break after traveling eight hours or less.
Sadly, many truck accidents are caused by a trucker who was attempting to make a scheduled delivery deadline to meet their quota so he or she can get paid. Fortunately, state and federal laws force the trucker to document and maintain a detailed log that describes their hours of service, the length of time they rested and hours off duty while they slept overnight. However, many truckers violate the law and fail to maintain accurate records or lie about the amount of time they take off from driving.
Dealing Directly With the Insurance Company
Within hours of days after a catastrophic truck accident, the insurance carrier that provides coverage for the trucker will likely contact you to discuss settling a compensation claim. While it might be tempting to accept their offer, you may be making a life-altering decision too quickly. Hiring an attorney is crucial at this stage because a lawyer can speak directly with the law firm representing the defendant and his or her insurance company.
Our law firm has years of experience in resolving personal injury cases involving large commercial vehicles that resulted in major property damage, severe injuries, and death. Our lawyers will handle every aspect of your case including speaking to eyewitnesses and reconstructing the accident to determine best who is at fault for the crash. Additionally, we will calculate current, past and future medical expenses for one or more devastating injuries that could include:
- Contusions and concussions
- Broken bones
- Head trauma and brain injury
- Loss of limb
- Internal organ damage
- Strains and sprains
- Wrongful death
Building a Compensation Case
Our team of dedicated attorneys has access to all necessary resources to build a case for financial compensation for victims who have been injured or killed in a truck accident. Our firm uses our extensive experience, and available resources needed to ensure you receive the maximum monetary recovery you deserve. Our efforts include:
- Reconstruct the scene of the collision;
- Obtain accident and police reports;
- Examine photographs and video recordings of the crash;
- Review medical records;
- Determine the number of hours that the trucker had been driving before the accident and over the previous week;
- Inspect the truck trailer to determine if it exceeded mandated weight restrictions;
- Inspect the trailer to determine if the cargo was loaded properly;
- Verify the trucker’s background, criminal background, and driving records;
- Collaborate with experts in the trucking industry who can provide evidence and testimony at trial.
It is relatively simple to calculate the value of the case based on its tangible costs including medical expenses, time away from work and the loss of future income. However, determining the value of non-tangible expenses can be more challenging, including how much your pain, suffering, mental anguish and emotional trauma is worth now and in the years ahead.
About Chicago’s Wicker Park Neighborhood
More than 26,000 residents live in Chicago’s Wicker Park neighborhood just west of the Kennedy Expressway, south of Bucktown, east of Humboldt Park and northwest of the Chicago Loop. The community is known for its restaurants, nightlife, arts and hipster culture. The neighborhood was once recognized as the Polish Gold Coast when in the late 1890s and early 1900s, Polish immigrants settled in the community.
The area was first established by the Chicago Board of Public Works in 1868 after the development of the neighborhood’s attractive park. At the turn-of-the-century, Norwegian and Germans relocated into the area. Within years, wealthy Northern European immigrants settled in the community and built large mansions including those on Pierce and Hoyne streets.
There was a notable change to Wicker Park in the early years of the 1960s when the Kennedy Expressway was finally completed. The construction of the freeway displaced many residents leaving a void in the community and a significant drop in the number of neighborhood groups, settlement houses, and Polish-American churches. Today, the area is known for its entertainment and commercial establishments. The newly renovated urban neighborhood is highly attractive to young adults because of its stores, bars, and restaurants.
Wicker Park Neighborhood Contact Information
Ward 1 Alderman Joe Proco Moreno
2740 W. North Ave
Chicago, IL 60647
Ward 2 Alderman Brian Hopkins
1400 N. Ashland
Chicago, IL 60622
Ward 32 Alderman Scott Waguespack
Ward Office: 2657 N. Clybourn
Chicago, IL 60614
Ward 26 Alderman Roberto Maldonado
2511 W. Division St.
Chicago, IL 60622
Wicker Park Bucktown Chamber of Commerce
1414 North Ashland
Chicago, Illinois 60622
Why Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC are the Best
Most trucking accidents occur in the flash of an instant and leave crash victims in shock and disoriented, not knowing what to do next. The compassionate truck accident injury attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC are dedicated to assisting victims with accident injuries to ensure their rights are protected, and they receive just and fair compensation. We encourage a contact our law offices today by filling in the online intake form or calling (888) 424-5757 today.
Schedule an appointment with our lawyers to discuss the merits of your case. We accept all wrongful death and personal injury cases including commercial vehicle truck accidents in the Wicker Park neighborhood through contingency fee arrangements. This agreement means we can immediately begin building your case for compensatory damages without you paying any fee upfront. All information you share with our law office remains confidential.
- Andersonville Illinois Neighborhood
- Austin Illinois Neighborhood Personal Injury Law Firm
- Boystown Neighborhood Personal Injury Lawyers
- Chicago Personal Injury Attorney Serving the Bridgeport Neighborhood Area
- Personal Injury Attorneys Serving the Bronzeville Neighborhood
- Bucktown Neighborhood Personal Injury Law Firm
- Chinatown Illinois Neighborhood Personal Injury Attorneys
- Personal Injury Lawyers Serving Residents of Englewood Illinois Neighborhood
- Gold Coast Neighborhood Personal Injury Lawyers
- Grant Park Neighborhood Personal Injury Attorneys
- Personal Injury Attorneys Serving Residents of Humboldt Park Neighborhood
- Personal Injury Attorneys Providing Legal Services to Hyde Park Illinois Residents
- Jefferson Park Neighborhood Personal Injury Law Firm
- Lincoln Park Neighborhood Personal Injury Attorneys
- Personal Injury Lawyers Serving Lincoln Square Neighborhood
- Personal Injury Lawyers Serving the Little Italy Neighborhood
- Personal Injury Attorneys Serving the Logan Square Neighborhood
- Chicago Loop Neighborhood Personal Injury Attorneys
- Magnificent Mile Neighborhood Personal Injury Attorneys
- Millennium Park Neighborhood Personal Injury Lawyers
- Near North Neighborhood Personal Injury Lawyers
- Personal Injury Attorneys Providing Legal Services to The Near West Neighborhood
- Chicago’s North Neighborhood Personal Injury Attorneys
- Personal Injury Lawyers Serving the Old Town Neighborhood
- Pilsen Neighborhood Personal Injury Attorneys
- Portage Park Neighborhood Personal Injury Lawyers
- Pullman Neighborhood Personal Injury Attorneys
- Personal Injury Attorneys Serving River North Neighborhood
- Riverdale Neighborhood Personal Injury Attorneys
- Roseland Neighborhood Personal Injury Law Firm
- Rogers Park Neighborhood Personal Injury Lawyers
- Personal Injury Law Firm Serving South Shore Neighborhood
- Ukrainian Village Personal Injury Attorneys
- South Loop Neighborhood Personal Injury Law Office
- West Loop Neighborhood Personal Injury Lawyers
- Wrigleyville Neighborhood Personal Injury Attorneys