If you are injured as a result of a bus driver’s negligence, then you may be able to recover compensation for the following things:
- Medical Bills
- Property Damage
- Lost Wages
- Emotional Distress
- Scarring and Disfigurement
What Can I Get In An Illinois Bus Accident Case?
In the previous section, we outlined the various laws surrounding bus accidents as well as the elements you need to prove in order to be successful at trial. But what is your bus accident case worth? Well, here is exactly what you could recover:
- Medical Bills: You should always be able to recover for the various medical bills you incurred as a result of a bus accident. These can include costs for surgeries, consultations, prescriptions, and more that arose directly from the negligent conduct of the bus company or other party.
- Property Damage: If any personnel from a bus company damaged your car or other personal property, you should be able to recover for that reduction in value or replacement depending on the type of item.
- Lost Wages: If you have to miss work to recuperate for injuries you sustained in a bus accident, the bus company should pay you for the wages you lost as well as any lost investments you missed out on as a result of the incident.
- Emotional Distress: Certain events do not allow victims to simply get up and walk away. Instead, they hover around the person like a cloud adding constant pain and suffering to their life where it never existed before. This is true with bus accidents and plaintiffs normally bring actions for this very real and particular type of injury.
- Scarring and Disfigurement: Bus accidents are very traumatic experiences. Their sheer force and shock can you leave you severely injured and often times victims are left with more than pain. Sometimes their injuries include scars and disfigurement. This can not only alter someone’s external appearance but also their internal view of themselves. It is completely expected to seek compensation for this type of reduction in your quality of life.
- Disability: In many situations, bus accident victims are not able to perform the same activities that they used to be able or or at least at the same level they used to be able to following an incident. This is most important when they can no longer work at their job because their new disability prevents them. For this loss and for the general injury of becoming disabled, you can recover.
As you can see, analyzing what type of financial compensation you can recover for injuries you sustained in a bus accident involves many variables and it completely depends on the specific nature of your facts and circumstances. The above factors only provide a starting point. You should contact us so that we can give you a more contextualized estimate of what you could recover in an Illinois bus accident case.
How Can I Calculate A Bus Accident Award?
In the preceding section, we reviewed the general categories of damages available in Illinois bus accident cases. But how can you calculate exactly what your award will be? Getting down to a precise number is nearly impossible because juries have broad discretion in rendering verdicts. However, you can approximate what broad range your settlement or award will fall into. You can do this by tallying all of your definitive expenses and then adding in all of your non-economic injuries. This latter figure is normally one and a half to two times higher than your out-of-pocket costs. The sum of these two amounts should give you a good estimate of what your bus accident award may be.
How Can A Lawyer Protect My Recovery?
At the onset of your bus accident case, there are a couple of things that your lawyer can do to protect your future recovery. First, they can minimize and monitor all points of contact with the other side. Second, they can request and review all your pertinent medical records. Third, they can form and file a wage verification sheet to your employer. Fourth, they can canvass and communicate with any witnesses or relevant third parties. Why is all this important? It is important because it will not allow your case to slip away or weaken due to unpreparedness or inexperience. Experienced counsel should know what to do from the get-go of your claim and have the resources to do it.
Still Wondering What You Can Get In A Bus Accident Case?
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers works tirelessly to recover the most compensation possible for Illinois bus accident victims. Like our other clients, we can help you on a contingency fee basis so that you only get charged for services if you are happy with the outcome. To learn about what recovery awaits you, call Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers today and speak with one of our experienced attorneys.
To learn more about bus accidents in Illinois, please read the following pages: