In most cases, Illinois truck accident lawsuits are resolved from one to two years after the filing date, but because each case is different there are no guarantees.
Since each accident case is unique, there is no easy answer to what the exact length of your case will be before it is finally resolved. While some Illinois truck crash cases may settle in a matter of months, some serious injury and wrongful death cases can be expected to take a year or more to resolve.
To begin with, you must typically bring your lawsuit within two years of the accident because Illinois has a general two-year statute of limitations for personal injury claims (735 ILCS 5/13-202). Therefore, it is very important to speak with an attorney promptly so you don’t miss out on your chance to collect your rightful compensation.
In general, the more serious the accident and injuries involved, the longer the case may take as a result of ongoing medical treatments, rehabilitation, and an unclear prognosis. Other factors that can extend the time include the need to employ expert witnesses as well as obtain depositions from eyewitnesses to the crash.
What can I do to Help Speed up my Truck Accident Lawsuit?
As truck accident attorneys, “What is my claim worth?” is normally the first thing we hear from clients during their initial consultation. However, we try to focus on timeline over exact dollar worth. In the end, how long the suit takes might even influence how you value it. There are some things you can do on your end to speed up the process:
- Cease communications with the other driver and his or her representatives; let your attorney deal with them.
- Collect all receipts and records related to the accident including vehicle repair and medical bills.
- Ask your employer for income verification to demonstrate your lost wages from time you lost from work.
- Make a list of all parties present at the accident scene as well as any memories or questions that you have about it.
- Stay in touch with your attorneys and remain available to them to discuss the case.
Want to Know More About Illinois Truck Accident Cases?
Because of the two-year statute of limitations to file a claim, Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC urges truck accident victims to seek counsel as soon as practicable after their accident. Our experienced accident attorneys can explain the complicated issues involved in this type of litigation to you and handle your case on contingency, so you don't have to worry about paying for anything until the conclusion of the case. Call our offices to get your claim started today.