What is the Best way to Choose an Illinois Wrongful Death Attorney?
The best way to choose an Illinois attorney for a wrongful death lawsuit is to select someone that has the (1) resources; (2) experience; and (3) passion to fight for your rights. Having this combination is critical to the success of your case because they are complex and require completely zealous counsel.
- Wrongful Death Cases In Illinois
- Is Your Attorney Capable Enough To Handle Your Wrongful Death Case?
- Is Your Attorney Passionate Enough To Handle Your Wrongful Death Case?
- Is Your Attorney Accessible Enough To Handle Your Wrongful Death Case?
- How Do I Know If My Lawyer Is Doing a Good Job?
- Call Us To Hear More!
Wrongful Death Cases In Illinois
Wrongful death cases can be very complex and require that your attorney is experienced and knowledgeable in the area. You will want to choose an attorney that has successfully handled your specific type of Illinois wrongful death case before, such as medical malpractice, auto accidents or other specialty law. You should also inquire about a law firm's success ratio in wrongful death cases.
In addition, it is very important that you feel comfortable with your lawyer. These types of cases can take many months and even years to come to fruition, so be sure to choose an attorney that is qualified, dedicated and is someone you feel you can trust.
Is Your Attorney Capable Enough To Handle Your Wrongful Death Case?
This is a question that should not be taken lightly. Illinois has thousands of lawyers and millions of people. When the latter are injured, many of the former will stand up to try and help them. Unfortunately, their good intentions do not directly translate into an ability to effectively manage an Illinois wrongful death case. Therefore, regarding their capability, it is important to question your prospective counsel on their prior experience representing families who have lost loved ones. Also, inquire into their resources, staff, and other capital that is so sorely needed to pursue this kind of case. Their answers to these questions should inform you of their ability to represent you effectively.
The case-types listed below represent some of the types of Illinois wrongful death cases that Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC has represented families in litigation:
- Automobile accidents
- Nursing home negligence
- Medical malpractice
- Semi-truck accidents
- Motorcycle crashes
If you have lost a loved one in the above or due to another circumstance attributable to the fault of another, we invite you to contact our office for a free assessment of your legal rights and options.
Is Your Attorney Passionate Enough To Handle Your Wrongful Death Case?
It might be a trite and overlooked statement, but your attorney should care. He or she must be zealous in their representation of your claim. The point of passion lies beyond mere sentiment. It affects their relationships with opposing counsel, what other clients they take on, and how they can fight for you. Therefore, our group of lawyers does not take on clients who have been defendants in wrongful death cases. We believe it affects our ability to truly represent a grieving family. You should ask your counsel if they feel similarly.
Is Your Attorney Accessible Enough To Handle Your Wrongful Death Case?
We make sure to be accessible to all of our clients all of the time and for a number of reasons. First of all, we are merely custodians of your claims. We are not owners of them. Thus, as servants and representatives, it makes sense to make ourselves available to the masters of the claims. Second, we believe that clients are empowered when they know what is happening within a case. Therefore, we constantly update them on developments and respond to them when they have questions. Third, and finally, normally clients are the ones that know the most about the case. They might have been there. They might have seen important things happen. Due to this fact, we try and stay connected to the original source of information: you, the client!
How Do I Know If My Lawyer Is Doing a Good Job?
We get this question time and time again from people that we work with and their friends and family. They want to know how they can gauge the work of the attorney that is handling their wrongful death case. These cases hold the only real chance they have at moving on from these extraordinarily traumatic losses so it is important for them to understand where to look. Here are some things to check:
- Your case will have various filing dates for things like motions and replies. Make sure to learn when these are and follow up before and after to ensure that your attorney made these deadlines as well as to learn how they went.
- Discovery is the critical stage before trial. It includes various parts like depositions, interrogatories, requests to admit, and other legal devices. Before and during this time it is crucial to speak with your attorneys about their overall plan for discovery and how they are carrying that out within each particular phase. This will tell you a lot about the chances of your success.
- Trial is where most of the attention goes in wrongful death cases. However, what goes on beforehand can mean as much as what plays out during them. Check in with your attorneys to see what their case strategy is for opening and closing arguments as well as direct and cross examinations. Also, make sure they're practicing or at least have experience in trial advocacy.
- At every point in your Illinois wrongful death case, you need to monitor the status of your attorney's resources so that you can make sure bills are being paid, witnesses are being secured, evidence is being gathered, documents are being filed, correspondences are being returned, and your case is not jeopardized by a lack of capital.
There are many, many different ways that you can check your attorney's work but these four areas provide you a quick way to view the fundamental health of your suit.
Call Us To Learn More About Your Legal Rights Regarding an Untimely Loss of a Loved One
This just highlights what you should look for and expect from your attorney in an Illinois wrongful death lawsuit. Take some time to review exactly what you want in your representation and then critically question prospective attorneys on their ability to deliver on that. Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC can address all your concerns. Give us a call today at (888) 424-5757 and allow us to explain to you how we typically assist people in the aftermath of a wrongful death. We have worked with many victims following this tragedy and can help you!
For additional information see the following pages:
- Are Proceeds From a Wrongful Death Lawsuit Taxable Under Illinois Law?
- How Much Will it Cost Me to File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
- What is The Legal Definition of "Wrongful Death" Under Illinois Law?
- What Types of Financial Damages Can You Sue For in an Illinois Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
- What Does it Cost to Talk With an Attorney to Find Out If I Have a Wrongful Death Case?
- Who Can File For a Wrongful Death Lawsuit Under Illinois Law?
- How Long Do I Have to File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit in Illinois?