If you suffer burn injuries because of another’s misconduct, then you can recover compensation for the healthcare costs, lost wages, damaged property, anguish, and incapacity that results.
What Can I Collect In Court For Burn Injuries?
Burn injuries present a very unique kind of harm. This might be expected though because fire accidents are different than most other kinds of incidents. So when it comes time to collect at court the nature and extent of compensation can look dissimilar from other lawsuits. Here is an overview of the kinds of recovery to look for in your burn case:
- Medical Bills: People who are responsible for your burns must pay all of your medical bills including, but not limited to, surgeries, medications, and long-term rehabilitative care.
- Loss of Income: If you cannot work anymore or at least as much because of your burn injuries, then defendants must make up the difference.
- Property Damage: If the fire that burned you also damaged any of your property, then the wrongdoer is responsible for these losses as well including any damage to your home, personal property, or equipment.
- Pain and Suffering: Like many other accidents, those that leave you with burn injuries often also impart significant mental anguish and general pain and suffering. This is an intangible kind of harm but no less real to victims.
- Disfigurement and Disability: One of the more immediate and obvious consequences of burn injuries is the scarring. They are often times readily apparent to the naked eye and fundamentally change the look of a person. This has an effect on the self-esteem and self-image of the victim as much as it does on the skin. For this injury, and for any disability that accompanies it, defendants must pay and you should recover.
How Do I Make A Claim For Compensation In My Burn Injury Lawsuit?
How you claim damages in a burn injury case relates very much to the stages of your trial. In the first, pre-trial, you will be very focused on building your case and drafting your complaint. This complaint must at least contain 1) the defendant’s misconduct 2) your injuries and 3) your right to relief. However, in order to accomplish, you must complete a variety of investigative and other tasks. Then, the next stage of your lawsuit is trial. In this stage, you must use tools of discovery (like depositions, interrogatories, and requests for production), trial (like arguments, evidence, and examinations), and communication (like email, phone, etc.) to prove your case. After this period, you will enter the post-trial phase. During this time, you must decide whether to accept the court’s decision or appeal it in whole or in part. This is the general process for how you claim damages in burn injury litigation. However, there are a multitude of other procedural and substantive demands that you should become familiar with. They will shape the kind and amount of recovery that is available to you in Illinois.
How Long Will It Take For Me To Recover Compensation For My Burn Injuries?
Aside from knowing what they can recover, most clients that have suffered burn injuries like to know how long it will take them to recover it. This is a complicated question because the timeline of your case will largely be determined by the choices you make. For instance, settling lawsuits for personal injuries in Illinois can shorten the duration of the dispute by as much as a year. Also, deciding to pursue certain kinds of damages can lengthen the case because it’ll require you to obtain witnesses, prep for trial, and make your case. However, typically most burn injury cases take between one and two years owing to their general complexity and the complicated Illinois court system.
Want To Know What Else You Get From A Burn Injury Case?
There might be other places where you can recover for your burn injuries in Illinois. Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC vigorously works to ensure that accident victims receive the most compensation possible under the law. Call our offices today to see what you can recover from a burn injury lawsuit.
For additional information see the following pages:
- How Can Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC Protect My Burn Injury Claim?
- How Long Do I Have To File A Burn Injury Lawsuit In Illinois?
- What Are The Facts About Burn Injuries?
- What Legal Theories Can Be Used To Recover Compensation For Burn Injuries?
- What Rights For Financial Compensation Do I Have If I Was Burned In An Accident?
- What Type Of Financial Compensation Have Other Burn Injury Victims Recovered?
- Who Can I Sue In A Burn Injury Lawsuit?