What are the Facts on Mesothelioma?
Mesothelioma is a form of cancer that develops when a layer of squamous cells (known as mesothelium) surround and suffocate internal organs. Typically, the most affected organ is the lung but it can also occur around the heart or abdomen.
What Causes Mesothelioma?
What Is Asbestos?
Asbestos is a group of six minerals that share traits like strength, absorption, and fire resistance among others. The group has common colors of blue, brown, white and green. Asbestos is a prime catalyst of mesothelioma disease because it triggers the development of cancerous tumors.
What Are The Symptoms Of Mesothelioma?
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Abdomen pain
- Muscle pain
- Weight loss
- Respiratory pain
What Are The Medical Options For Mesothelioma?
While mesothelioma has proven highly resistant to any one therapy, a combination of surgery and other treatments has increased the chances for a better prognosis in certain instances. Generally, it is combined with chemotherapy, radiation, immunotherapy, drugs, or all of the above options.
- Over 100 million people have been exposed to asbestos while working.
- It may take decades for the disease to present.
- About 3,000 people develop mesothelioma every year.
- Tens of thousands of people have died from mesothelioma
- Mesothelioma typically presents in people in their middle sixties.
- The average age of those dying from mesothelioma is 70 years old.
- Up to 10% of people with significant asbestos exposure develop mesothelioma.
- Men are more likely to develop mesothelioma than women.
- By far, most people that develop mesothelioma are white.
- At least 1,000 people have died in Illinois from mesothelioma.
- After five years of treatment, mesothelioma patients have less than 10% chance of survival.
Think You Might Have Mesothelioma?
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC can help identify if you have mesothelioma or other issues related to asbestos exposure. The consequences of contracting these conditions are severe but you can get help. We can make sure that you get the most recovery possible under the law at no cost for our services until you are happy with the outcome. Call our offices today to learn more about how the Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC can begin work immediately on your case.