- The amount of uninsured motorists compared to the rest of the population in America is actually dropping.
- The cost of an accident involving an uninsured motorist can be anywhere from tens of thousands of dollars to millions of dollars.
- Some of the most frequent areas for uninsured motorists are Colorado, Florida, and Tennessee.
- A little more than ten percent of all Illinois drivers do not have insurance.
- Almost twenty percent of all drivers around the country do not have insurance.
Uninsured Driver Accident Statistics
- From 1992 to 2012, the percentage of uninsured drivers dropped from 15.6% to 12.6% across the country.
- The top ten states with the most amount of uninsured drivers include Oklahoma, Florida, Mississippi, New Mexico, Michigan, Tennessee, Alabama, Rhode Island, Colorado and Washington.
- The top ten states with the least amount of uninsured drivers include Massachusetts, Maine, New York, Utah, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, Nebraska, Idaho, South Carolina and South Dakota.
- In Illinois, the number of uninsured drivers in 2012 was approximately 13.3%.
- Right now, roughly 1 in 7 drivers are uninsured.
- The average cost of property damage from car accidents is $7,500.
- The average cost of non-fatal injuries from car accidents is $61,600.
- The average cost of fatalities from car accidents is $1,130,000.
What Are The Penalties For Driving Without Insurance?
Every state requires drivers to have insurance in order to use their roads and every state penalizes drivers who don’t have insurance while using their roads. Normally, the requirements from state to state vary but whatever the case they are normally pretty severe. Here are some common disciplinary actions that state take against uninsured motorists:
- Suspend their license;
- Revoke their vehicle registration;
- Give them a ticket and other fines; and
- Require SR 22 insurance.
If you are caught driving without insurance in Illinois, you will get all of these punishments and then some. In fact, the total cost of driving without insurance can be thousands of dollars and the inability to use Illinois roads.
Learn More About Uninsured Motorist Accidents In Illinois
If you have been involved in an accident with an uninsured motorist, then Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers can help you from Day One. We have the tools, experience, and dedication to win and can represent you on contingency so that you don’t have to pay one dime until you get the award that you deserve. Just call Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers today to find out more.
If you would like to learn more about uninsured motorist accidents in Illinois, please read the following pages: