Whenever a simple precautionary measure such as the placement of a sign can prevent injuries, it is important for property owners to do their part in providing a safe environment for residents, customers and visitors. The Chicago trip and fall attorneys of Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers have come across countless cases in which clients have been needlessly injured due to the refusal of others to perform the simplest of preventative measures. By holding those property owners accountable, we can ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to and that similar incidents do not occur in the future.The Causes of Wet Floors and Recommended Preventative Measures
Whether wet and slippery floors are the result of routine cleaning, leaks or the tracking of moisture inside during periods of inclement weather, it is the responsibility of property owners to be aware of potential problems and to take actions that will limit the risk of slips and falls. Additional causes of wet or slippery floors can include the lack of floor drains in areas that accumulate water, flooding due to plumbing or HVAC problems and the use of materials that do not provide adequate traction. Some of the ways that owners can reduce the risk of injuries include the following.
- Marking off floors that are wet with signs so that visitors, customers or residents are aware of the risk and can walk with more care.
- Placing mats or carpets in high traffic areas that can absorb the moisture being brought inside during periods of snow, ice and rain.
- The use of non-slip materials such as tape or treading. High traction materials can also be implemented into the design of the building so that the problem is addressed from the moment the building is constructed.
- Placing floor drains in areas that accumulate water to limit the amount of water, snow or ice that can build up.
- Promptly cleaning any spills, such as when a product at a store falls off the shelf and the liquid fills the aisle.
- Reporting and repairing any leaks that can result in the flooding of hallways or staircases.
Our Illinois premises liability lawyers cannot stress how important preventative measures are to the safety of others. It is just not acceptable that people suffer painful and debilitating injuries due to the inability of a property owner to take very simple steps to protect those who live in or visit the property.Types of Injuries Resulting from Falls on Wet Floors
Most slips and falls occurring in public locations result in minor injuries, but the manner in which a person falls, his or her age and other factors can lead to rather severe injuries such as broken bones, internal bleeding, trauma to the head or neck and injuries to the back and spine. The treatment of these injuries may require extensive medical care, and in some cases the victim may suffer from a permanent disability such as a traumatic brain injury or complex injury to the spine. It only adds insult to the injury when the victim is sidelined from work and needs to pay exorbitant medical bills.
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers is a reputable personal injury law firm that serves clients across the entire state of Illinois. Our legal team has recovered compensation on behalf of thousands of clients so that they could pay their medical bills, recover lost wages and focus on their physical recoveries. If you have been injured in a wet floor accident, contact us today to arrange a free case review.
Our Chicago premises liability attorneys have specialized experience and knowledge in these types of cases and will be able to maximize the value of your case to ensure that your current and future needs are met through the damages we recover on your behalf. Should we be unable to secure compensation on your behalf, you are assured that our services will be free of charge.