Vista Medical Center East is a 299-bed medical facility providing high-quality health care in Waukegan, Lake County, Illinois. The medical center is located at:
- 1324 North Sheridan Rd.
- Waukegan, IL 60085
- (847) 360-4000
Vista Medical Center East is a part of the Vista Health System that also operates Vista Medical Center West, Vista Ambulatory Care Center, Vista Freestanding Emergency Center, Lindenhurst Surgery Center and the Vista Medical office building.
One ranked among other hospitals in the United States, the Waukegan Vista Medical Center East facility in Lake County, Illinois maintains an overall “B” score, placing the facility in the 58th percentile nationwide. This score is computed using national public data based on specific criteria including length of the patient’s stay, medical staff/patient communication, patient satisfaction and all adverse complications that potentially involve medical malpractice.
Illinois State Designations
Vista Medical Center East maintains two specific Illinois State designations that include:
Trauma Center II
As a Level II Trauma Center, Vista Medical Center East provides all essential services to treat traumatic injuries 24 hours every day. In addition, they provide other readily available services within 60 minutes of the patient’s arrival, 24 hours every day.
Emergency Department Approved for Pediatrics (EDAP)
The medical center has received recognition for providing pediatric emergency care by the EMSC (Emergency Medical Services for Children) and the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH). To maintain the EDAP designation, the facility must cover their emergency services using specially trained medical professionals to deal with pediatric critical and emergency care.
In addition, they are required to provide adequate staffing, provisions, equipment, medications and supplies along with backup support and pediatric consultation 24 hours a day. This medical center is also required to follow specific protocols to treat critically ill, seriously injured and abused children, along with children who require transfer to a different specialized care center.
Using effective protocols, hospitals and medical centers have the ability to reduce the potential risk of patients developing infections after procedures and surgeries. However, nearly all hospitals have facility-acquired infections at some specific incident rate level. Vista Medical Center East hospital-acquired infections include:
- Center Line-Associated Bloodstream Infection (CLABI) from 01/01/2014 to 12/31/2014:
- Infection Incident Developed in the Adult Surgical/Medical Intensive Care Unit – 3 infection incidents of 3036 central line days.
- Surgical Site Infection (SSI) from 07/01/2013 to 06/30/2014:
- Infection Incident Developed after Total Knee Replacement Surgery – 2 infection incidents out of 106 procedures.
- MRSA and CDI Onset Incident Rates between 01/01/2014 and 12/31/2014 Include:
- Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA) Onset Bloodstream Infections – 7 infection incidents out of 46,841 patient days or more than double the Illinois rate compared to other hospitals.
- Clostridium Difficile Infection (CDI) Onset Bloodstream Infection – 20 infection incidents out of 43,647 patient days.
Patient Safety Concerns
The Illinois Department of Public Health maintains data on patient safety measurements that involve potential adverse events and complications that occur in hospitals and medical centers throughout the state. The patient safety concerns involving Vista Medical Center East are based on available reported measurements from 10/01/2013 to 09/30/2014 that include:
- Unexpected Death – 1 unexpected patient death of 2212 patients.
- Blood Clotting (Deep Vein Thrombosis) or Postoperative Lung Embolism – 4 incidents out of 1720 patients.
- Accidental Lacerations and Puncture Wound – 11 incidents out of 8837 patients.
- Medical Care Associated Collapsed Lung – 2 incidents out of 8299 patients.
- Postoperative Hematomas and Hemorrhages – 6 incidents out of 1673 patients.
- Postoperative Respiratory Failure – 6 incidents out of 510 patients.
If you, or a loved one, have suffered harm after being admitted to Vista Medical Center East, your injuries might be the result of medical malpractice, mistakes or errors. The Waukegan medical negligence lawyers at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC are standing by and ready to serve as your legal advocate to hold those at fault for your injuries accountable for their neglect. We accept these types of cases on contingency. This means that no upfront fees or retainers are required. Contact our law offices today to discuss the merits of your case and various legal options for receiving financial compensation.