VHS Westlake Hospital Malpractice Attorneys
VHS Westlake Hospital is a 225-certified bed hospital provides care and services to residents and visitors in Cook County, Illinois. The facility is located at:
1225 Lake St
Melrose Park IL 60160
The hospital provides extensive medical care in more than 30 specialties provided by 200 practicing doctors including:
- Emergency medical care
- Bariatric surgery and care
- Digestive disorder care
- Cardiac care
- Behavioral health
- Occupational health
- Minimally invasive procedures
- Radiology and imaging including MRI, CT scans, x-rays and ultrasounds
- Stroke care
- Women's health
- Pain management
- Orthopedic services
- Lab services
- Wound care
Illinois State Designations
VHS Westlake Hospital maintains the following designations:
- Perinatal II – The Illinois Department of Public Health recognizes the facility as a Perinatal Level II facility providing care to pregnant mothers and newborns at risk for developing medical complications. However, the facility does not maintain a neonatal intensive care unit.
- Emergency Department Approved for Pediatrics (EDAP) – The facility is recognized as an EDAP facility providing trauma medical service care to pediatric patients around-the-clock.
The Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) and federal agencies continually monitor every hospital and medical center statewide. These agencies use statistical data to quickly identify patient safety concerns on infections, unexpected death, contagious diseases, and other medical problems associated with providing care. According to data supplied by the hospital to the IDPH and other agencies, VHS Westlake Hospital reported the following medical errors that may be of concern to patients and their families.
Health Care-Associated Infections
- Central Line-Associated Bloodstream Infections in the Adult Medical/Surgical ICU (2016) with one reported infections for 830 central-line days
- Healthcare Facility Onset Incident Rate of CDI for 2016 – ten patients suffer contagious Clostridium difficile infections out of 14,055 patient days.
- Risk-Adjusted Postoperative Lung Embolism or Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT clotting) (for 2015) one out of 636 patients
- Accidental Puncture and Laceration (for 2015) Two out of 4,719 patients
- Postoperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma (for 2015) Three out of 592 patients
- Postoperative Respiratory Failure (for 2015) Five out of 288 patients
- Pneumonia Patients Admitted to the Hospital within 30 days (between July 1, 2013, and June 30, 2016) – 16.6% of all patients treated at the facility for pneumonia were readmitted to the facility 30 days after departure for retreatment. This statistical percentage is slightly lower than the national average (16.9%) an Illinois average (17.37%).
- Pneumonia 30 Day Mortality Rate (between July 1, 2013, and June 30, 2016) – 13.8% of all patients treated for pneumonia at the facility died within 30 days. This statistical rate is slightly lower than the national average (15.9%) in Illinois average (15.98%).
- Heart Failure Patients Readmitted to the Facility within 30 Days (between July 1, 2013, and June 30, 2016) – 21.9% of all patients treated for heart failure were readmitted to the facility within 30 days after discharge. This statistical rate is slightly higher than the national average (21.6%) and lower than the Illinois average (21.78%).
- Heart Failure 30 Day Mortality Rate (between July 1, 2013, and June 30, 2016) – 12.6% of all patients treated for heart failure at the facility died within 30 days. This statistical rate is slightly higher than the national average (11.9%) and Illinois average (11.67%).
- Heart Attack Patient Readmitted to the Facility within 30 Days (between July 1, 2013, and June 30, 2016) – 16.8% of all patients treated at the hospital for heart attack were readmitted to the facility 30 days after discharge for retreatment. The statistical percent is slightly higher than the national average (16.3%) an Illinois State average (16.4%).
- Heart Attack 30 Day Mortality Rate (between July 1, 2013, and June 30, 2016) – 13.9% of all patients treated for a heart attack at the facility died within 30 days after admittance. The statistical rate is nearly identical to the national average (13.6%) and slightly higher than the Illinois average (13.32 percent).
- Congestive Heart Failure (CHF) Risk-Adjusted Mortality Rate for 2015 – 1 patients out of 110 died because of CHF. This statistical risk-adjusted rate of 11.03 per 1000 patients is nearly half the Illinois average of 20.74 per 1000.
- Heart Attack Deaths Risk-Adjusted Mortality Rate for 2015 – 3 out of 48 patients died of heart attacks at the facility. This risk-adjusted rate of 44.28 per 1000 patients is significantly higher than the Illinois average of 37.24 per 1000.
- Stroke-Associated Risk-Adjusted Mortality Rate for 2015 – 2 out of 62 patients died of a stroke at the hospital. This risk-adjusted rate of 42.19 per 1000 patients is nearly 1.5 times higher than the Illinois average of 61.56 per 1000 patients.
Melrose Park, Illinois Medical Malpractice Lawyers
If you were injured while you were a patient at VHS Westlake Hospital, your damages might have been caused by medical negligence. The Medical Malpractice Attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers remain committed to protecting the public from errors and mistakes occurring in every medical environment. Contact our attorneys today to schedule a no-obligation, free case evaluation to discuss the merits of your compensation claim.
Our law firm handles all personal injury cases, wrongful death lawsuits, and medical malpractice compensation claims through contingency fee agreements. These arrangements postpone the payment of all legal services until after we have successfully resolved your case at trial or through a negotiated out-of-court settlement. All consultations are free and confidential.
For more information about , please contact Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC today by calling 888-424-5757. Talk to a lawyer now. Free consultation.