University of Illinois Hospital Malpractice Lawyers
University of Illinois Hospital & Health Science System is a 495-bed hospital located in Cook County, Illinois at:
1740 West Taylor St.
Suite 1400 Street
Chicago IL 60612
University of Illinois Hospital & Health Science System provides diverse and services and care to the local community that include:
- Emergency medical care
- Family care
- Women's health
- Worker's Compensation
- Bariatric surgery
- Infectious diseases
- Spinal Cord care
- Surgical services
- Urgent care
- Weight management
- Pain management
- Family birth
- Rectal and colon surgery
- Heart and vascular care
- Neck and head cancer
- Rehabilitation therapies
Illinois State Designations
Currently, University of Illinois Hospital maintains the following designations:
- Perinatal III
- Pediatric Critical Care Center
- Emergency Department Approved for Pediatrics
- Comprehensive Stroke Center
Federal and state government officials routinely monitor medical centers and hospitals to identify patient safety concerns and take appropriate action when necessary. According to data supplied by the hospital to the Illinois Department of Health and other agencies, University Of Illinois Hospital reported the following medical errors that may be of concern to patients and their families.
- Central Line-Associated Bloodstream Infections in the Adult Neurosurgical ICU (2016) with three reported infections over 3100 central-line days
- Central Line-Associated Bloodstream Infections in the Adult Medical ICU (2016) with three reported infections over 3386 central-line days
- Central Line-Associated Bloodstream Infections in the Pediatric Medical ICU (2016) with one reported infection over 827 central-line days
- Central Line Associated Infections in the level III Neonatal ICU (2016) with three reported infections over 2175 central-line days
- Surgical Site Infection Associated with Total Knee Replacement Surgery (2016) with one reported infection in 156 procedures
- Surgical Site Infections associated with Coronary Arteries Bypass Graft Surgery (2016) with two reported infections out of 39 procedures
- Healthcare Facility Onset Incident Rate of MRSA (2016) with six reported infections of Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus over 114,603 patient days
- Healthcare Facility Onset Incident Rate of CDI (2016) with 109 reported highly contagious Clostridium difficile infections over 112,315 patient days
- Foreign Body left during procedure (2015) three reported incidents
- Risk-Adjusted Postoperative Lung Embolism or Deep Main Thrombosis (DVT clotting) 79 of 4446 patients. According to the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH), this statistic is significantly worse in the state average.
- Wound Complications in Abdominal Wall Surgery (2016) two of 812 patients
- Accidental Puncture and Laceration (2016) 36 of 14,372 patients. According to the IDPH, this statistic is significantly worse than the state average.
- Iatrogenic Pneumothorax (healthcare-associated collapsed lung in 2015) 6 of 13,798 patients
- Postoperative Respiratory Failure (2015) 33 of 2072 patients
- Postoperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma (2015) 23 out of 4067 patients
- Pneumonia Patients Admitted to the Hospital within 30 days (between July 1, 2013, and June 30, 2016) – 18.4% of all patients treated at the facility for pneumonia were readmitted to the facility 30 days after departure for retreatment. This statistical percentage is significantly higher than the national average (16.9%) an Illinois average (17.37%).
- Pneumonia 30 Day Mortality Rate (between July 1, 2013, and June 30, 2016) – 13.0% of all patients treated for pneumonia at the facility died within 30 days. This statistical rate is slightly lower than the national average (15.9%) in Illinois average (15.98%).
- Heart Failure Patients Readmitted to the Facility within 30 Days (between July 1, 2013, and June 30, 2016) – 22.9% of all patients treated for heart failure were readmitted to the facility within 30 days after discharge. This statistical rate is slightly higher than the national average (21.6%) an Illinois average (21.78%).
- Heart Failure 30 Day Mortality Rate (between July 1, 2013, and June 30, 2016) – 10.6% of all patients treated for heart failure at the facility died within 30 days. This statistical rate is slightly lower than the national average (11.9%) and Illinois average (11.67%).
- Heart Attack Patient Readmitted to the Facility within 30 Days (between July 1, 2013, and June 30, 2016) – 17.5% of all patients treated at the hospital for heart attack were readmitted to the facility 30 days after discharge for retreatment. The statistical percent is slightly higher than the national average (16.3%) an Illinois State average (16.4%).
- Stroke-Associated Risk-Adjusted Mortality Rate for 2015 – 16 out of 187 patients died of a stroke at the hospital. This risk-adjusted rate of 93.36 per 1000 patients is nearly 1.5 times higher than the Illinois average of 61.56 per 1000 patients.
Maternal Safety and Utilization
Birth Trauma (2015) 7 of 2133 patients
Obstetric Trauma – Vaginal with Instrument (2015) 1058 patients
Obstetric Trauma – Vaginal without Instrument (2015) 23 of 1522 patients
Chicago, Illinois Medical Malpractice Lawyers
If you suffered serious harm or injury while you were a patient at University of Illinois Hospital & Health Science System, your injuries might have been caused by medical negligence. The Medical Malpractice Attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC provide legal assistance to patients who have suffered injuries by an error or mistake in any medical setting.
Contact our attorneys today to schedule a free, no-obligation case consultation to discuss the merits of your compensation claim. Our legal team accepts all personal injury case, wrongful death lawsuit, and medical malpractice claim through contingency fee agreements. This arrangement postpones the payment of legal services until after we have successfully resolved your case through a jury trial or negotiate an out of court settlement. All information you share with our law office remains confidential.
For more information about , please contact Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC today by calling 888-424-5757. Talk to a lawyer now. Free consultation.