Chicago Uber Accident Lawyer
In the last few years, ride-share companies like Uber, have exploded across the country. According to the Chicago Tribune, the number of registered vehicles for companies like Uber quadrupled from 2014 to 2017. Ride-shares involve drivers who are paid for transporting passengers in the driver’s own car at a reduced rate. Payment and booking rides happen through an app on your phone, making ride-share companies more convenient and less expensive than traditional taxis. But along with that convenience come some risks.
The Chicago Uber accident attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC are committed to holdings rideshare companies accountable when their drivers' negligence results in an accident with injuries to passengers or other motorists. If you or a family member were injured in a car accident involving an Uber vehicle, we encourage you to contact our office for a free review of your legal options for recovery.
Safety Risks Faced by Uber Passengers and Other Motorists
- Passengers injured or killed in accidents caused by the negligence of Uber drivers and other motorists
- Passengers injured when then enter or exit the vehicle
- Pedestrians, bicyclists, and motorcyclists injured in collisions with Uber operated cars
- Other motorists injured due to the negligence of an Uber driver
- Uber drivers injured in collisions caused by other drivers
Chicago and National Uber Growth StatisticsWhile it grosses over $3 billion today, it started with more humble origins. Founded in 2009 in San Francisco, the creators aimed to provide a lower-cost alternative to cabs and other private driving services. They did this through a number of mechanisms including passenger pooling.
- Globally, almost 100 million people use the app on a monthly basis.
- Uber generates almost $15 billion each quarter.
- There are almost 15 million Uber trips each day.
- Nearly eighty percent of the time in Chicago, riders travel by themselves as opposed to using the pool feature.
- Most trips in Chicago cost riders between $5 and $10.
- The most popular areas in Chicago for Uber trips included Old Town, Gold Coast, River North, and Streeterville (these had roughly 3 million pick-ups and drop-offs from November 2018 to April 2019).
- The Loop had roughly 1.5 million pick-ups and drop-offs in that same time period.
- The United Center area, Fulton Market, and Illinois Medical District (Near West Side) also had about 1.5 million pick-ups and drop-offs in that same time period.
- There are tens of thousands of Uber drivers in the Chicagoland area with 4 million Uber drivers globally.
- Almost 75% of Uber drivers are male.
Why Uber Accident Cases are Different than Other Chicago Car AccidentsIf you are injured in an accident involving an Uber vehicle, it is important to know that your case is different than other types of car accidents involving private individuals. When an Uber driver injures his passengers or other motorists, you will not only have a claim against the driver but also Uber itself.
Uber Accident Injury FAQs
What Liability Insurance Limits Cover Chicago Uber Accidents?
Uber publicly acknowledges to riders that it has $1 million in insurance coverage for their vehicles when the vehicle is being used to transport customers or when the driver is en route to pick up a ride. The full insurance coverage Uber vehicles carry is not public information as this information is not disclosed unless a court orders the company to do so.
What Type of Compensation can I Recover in an Uber Injury Case?
- Medical expenses for bodily injury
- Physical therapy
- Lost income
- Disability accommodations for your home or car
- Medical devices
- Car rental fees
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of full life
How can I Protect Myself While Riding in an Uber Car?
- Always try and stay alert and avoid distractions.
- Make sure to have your phone charged at a normal level.
- Don’t offer any personal information about yourself.
- If you’re traveling with a friend in a pool, confirm that that person got to their destination okay.
- Report any inappropriate behavior you witness from the driver.
What Should I do After a Chicago Uber Accident?
- First, seek medical treatment and ensure that you don’t have any life-threatening injuries.
- If you’re able to, document the scene of the accident, the drivers involved, licenses and registration.
- Write notes of anything that you remember observing before and during the accident.
- Notify Uber. Let them know that you were a passenger involved in an accident with their driver and ask for insurance information for both your driver’s personal and Uber coverage.
- Contact a lawyer. It’s always best to speak with an experienced Chicago personal injury lawyers before you attempt to contact any insurance company representing a rideshare company.
- Document all medical treatment, symptoms, medical expenses, lost work time and other damages.
Do I Need an Attorney for an Uber Injury Case?
Have There Been any Lawsuits for Personal Injury Recently Filed Against Uber?
Have There Been any Bodily Injury Settlements Against Uber?
Contact Our Chicago Uber Accident Lawyers Today
The experienced Chicago Uber accident injury attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers have handled thousands of complex car crash cases and can help you determine your best course of action. Contact us today for a free initial consultation to discuss your claim. If we can’t help you, you don’t owe us anything. We don’t take a fee until we recover compensation on your behalf.
If you or a loved one was the victim of a sexual assault in an Uber or Lyft vehicle, view our informational page here.