Chicago Uber Accident Lawyer
Rideshare companies like Uber or Lyft have exploded across the country in the last few years. According to the Chicago Tribune, the number of registered vehicles for companies like Uber quadrupled from 2014 to 2017.
Rideshares involve Uber and Lyft drivers who are paid for transporting passengers in the driver's car at a reduced rate, working as independent contractors.
Our personal injury attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, LLC are committed to holding rideshare companies accountable when their drivers' negligence results in an Uber accident with injuries to passengers or other drivers. Schedule a free consultation for a legal case evaluation.
Were you or a family member injured in an accident involving an Uber or Lyft motor vehicle accident?
If so, we encourage you to contact our car accident lawyers at (888) 424-5757 for a free consultation to discuss your legal options for recovery.
Why Uber Accident Cases are Different from Other Chicago Car Accidents
Were you injured in an accident with an Uber vehicle? If so, knowing that your case differs from other car accidents involving private individuals is essential.
When an Uber or Lyft driver injures their passengers or other motorists, you will have a personal injury claim against the driver and the ridesharing company after the accident.
Responsibility for Uber Accidents Involving Uber Cars
As the employer of people driving vehicles controlled by technologies operated by Uber, the ridesharing company is liable to pay for resulting life-threatening injuries.
It can be a positive factor in recovering the full value of a bodily injury case. There are liability policies in place that are typically more substantial (at least $1 million in coverage per person) than those with private driver's insurance coverage.
Our lawyers can provide legal advice on your compensation case involving a Lyft or Uber driver.
Safety Risks Faced by Uber Passengers and Other Drivers
Our Lyft or Uber accident lawyers are committed to providing legal representation for passengers and other drivers injured in collisions with rideshare service vehicles.
Examples of potential injury cases against these companies would involve:
- Uber and Lyft passengers injured or killed in a traffic accident caused by the negligence of rideshare drivers and others
- Distracted driving involving Uber/Lyft cars
- Drunk driving
- Aggressive driving
- Pedestrians, bicyclists, and motorcyclists were injured in collisions with a ridesharing driver
- Sexual assault of a passenger by a Lyft or Uber driver
- Chicago rideshare drivers injured in collisions caused by other drivers
Compensation Available to People Injured in Uber Accidents
The specific types of damages you might recover in a rideshare accident are the same as any accident in Chicago, IL. After proving causation, you can seek monetary damages for economic and non-economic damages related to your injuries.
Economic damages if you suffered injuries might include:
- Medical expenses for bodily injury
- Medical bills for past and future medical treatment
- Physical therapy
- Lost income
- Disability accommodations
- Medical devices
- Car rental fees
- Property damage
Non-economic damages can include:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of full life
Contact our law offices for a free consultation with an experienced Uber accident attorney for more information on damages available in rideshare accidents.
Our rideshare attorneys are well-versed in negotiating with insurance for settlements involving traffic accidents with Uber and Lyft.
Chicago Uber Drivers: Steps to Avoid an Uber Crash
The responsibility of Uber and Lyft drivers is monumental, transporting paying clients from point A to point B safely and responsibly. Rideshare drivers in Chicago and across the country must take extra steps to avoid causing an Uber accident.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there are a few things you can do to help avoid an accident when using Uber or any other rideshare service.
Are You a Chicago Uber Driver?
Take these precautions to avoid an Uber accident:
- Always wear your seatbelt whether alone or driving passengers.
- Use your smartphone GPS while operating a vehicle for Uber or Lyft.
- Never send or read texts while behind the wheel.
- Ensure your phone is locked and put it in your pocket while driving.
- Pull over and stop driving to avoid a car crash if you need to make a call.
- Keep an eye out for pedestrians, bicyclists, and motorcyclists.
- Keep your vehicle well-maintained, and do not drive if tired.
- Plan your route, follow directions on the Uber app, and be aware of your surroundings.
- Maintain a personal Uber policy that covers you and your passengers(rideshare companies might not cover all damages). Many drivers opt out of additional coverage, which could be costly in car accidents.
Our Lyft/Uber accident lawyer Chicago team will work on your car accident case to get you the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
Uber and Lyft Passengers: Steps to Stay Protected
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, you can do a few things to help protect yourself when using Uber or any other rideshare service.
Are you a passenger in an Uber?
- Make sure you are in a safe place before you enter or exit the vehicle.
- Do not leave your drink unattended in an Uber or any vehicle.
- Avoid sitting in the front seat.
- Avoid hiring an Uber or Lyft when alone. Take a friend or co-worker with you.
- If you feel uncomfortable or unsafe, ask the Lyft or Uber driver to change the route or stop the car.
Were you involved in a ridesharing accident? Contact a Chicago uber accident lawyer at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, LLC, for a free case evaluation.
Sample Chicago Lawsuits Involving Uber Car Accidents
Below are some examples of lawsuits people in the Chicagoland area have filed against Uber to recover compensation for an injury or death.
An experienced attorney will likely hire an accident reconstruction expert or investigator to accurately calculate how the accident happened and who was at fault.
If you have questions about a particular situation, contact our law offices to consult with an Uber rideshare lawyer.
Chicago Uber Accident Lawyer Sues Uber After an 8-car Crash Outside of Chicago. (Cook County Circuit Court)
The personal injury lawsuit was filed in November 2018 by plaintiffs who sued in Illinois, targeting Uber and a delivery company.
The incident occurred on an exit off I-90. A mother and her daughter hailed a car via Uber. As they went to their destination, a trucker rear-ended them. They sustained multiple personal injuries.
Their Chicago uber accident lawyer sued the ridesharing driver, Uber, and the delivery company. The family claims that both acted negligently and are responsible for the severe injuries of the mother and child.
Specifically, the plaintiffs cited the defendant driver for failing to control their speed, keep a proper lookout (distracted driving), and avoid the incident. In addition, they claim compensation for their medical costs, future medical attention, and legal and other losses for damages.
Experienced Uber Accident Lawyer Brings Suit Against the Ridesharing Company After the Death of Their Son. (Cook County Circuit Court)
In June 2018, an Uber driver shot Hyum Kim. The passenger died from his injuries. His family argued that this was the last thing he could have expected as he hopped into the vehicle.
He merely wanted to reach his destination using the rideshare mobile Uber app. The company has policies against the carrying and using firearms by its Uber drivers.
They claim the company was grossly negligent, and Uber maintains insurance to cover harmful actions. If the plaintiffs are successful in this argument, they will be able to sue for the intentional acts of the Uber driver and be compensated through Uber's policy.
A successful resolution means the plaintiffs will be able to get wrongful death damages through Uber and the driver's personal policy to cover all losses, including lost support and companionship, suffering, and expenses, among other things.
Logan Square Woman Sues After Sexual Assault
The sexual assault case was recently filed in Illinois. It kicked off after a woman requested an Uber from the Uptown neighborhood of Chicago. She wanted to go home to her apartment in Logan Square.
Unfortunately, things didn't go as she had planned. The Uber driver groped her, demanded her phone number, and then would not let her leave until she consented to other demands. The woman complained of anguish, pain, and other physical and mental injuries.
Parents' Lawyer Sues Uber After Fatal Springfield, Il Motorcycle Crash
The recent accident lawsuit was filed in Sangamon County, Illinois. It began after a rideshare driver crashed into a motorcycle. Unfortunately, both the driver and passenger of the bike died.
The passenger's parents sued the rideshare driver, Uber, and the motorcyclist. The complaint suggested the motorcyclist was speeding. Also, it complained that the driver was distracted by Uber's mobile app on his phone.
By doing this, they could target Uber insurance coverage by claiming a preventable death. That means the plaintiffs believe the defendants wrongfully caused the death of their loved one.
Further, they think the defendants should pay for the death's costs, expenses, suffering, and pain. They asked for more than $50,000 for these damages to be paid by Uber's insurance policy.
Our law firm is committed to getting maximum compensation for people injured in a severe accident by holding rideshare companies accountable. Talk to a Chicago attorney 24/7 to discuss your legal rights with a licensed attorney.
How Do I Win My Accident Case to Pay All My Medical Bills?
According to data, more than 95% of all accident injury cases are resolved through negotiated settlements. Typically, the plaintiff (injured party) and their attorney will set a negotiation meeting to determine if both sides are willing to settle the case for maximum compensation.
Under Illinois law, the plaintiff (victim) or Uber/Lyft accident lawyer must prove the four elements that include:
- The Lyft or Uber driver has a legal responsibility to ensure the passengers' safety
- The ridesharing driver breached that responsibility
- That breach led to an accident with the victims
- The victims' serious injuries and damages are real and provable in court
Proving Who Is at Fault for Chicago Uber Accidents
While determining who is at fault might be easy for you because you were sitting in the car's back seat at the time of the accident, it might be more challenging to prove in court. In these cases, an experienced attorney will likely hire an accident reconstruction expert or investigator to accurately calculate how the accident happened and who was at fault.
Call today and talk with an accident attorney. Tell us what happened during the moments before, during, and after the accident occurred to collect evidence for your case.
Chicago Uber Accident Lawyers Explain the Different Forms of Compensation You Can Receive After an Uber Collision
Under civil tort law, victims and surviving family members can obtain numerous forms of compensation when involved in a ridesharing accident. These damages include:
- Compensatory Damages: The most common damages awarded in accident injury cases. Compensatory damages are meant to compensate the victim for their losses, including healthcare expenses, lost earnings, pain and suffering, and other related costs.
- Punitive Damages: In some cases, a plaintiff may obtain punitive damages from the defendant. Punitive damages punish the defendant for their actions and discourage others from engaging in similar behavior.
- Death Damages: Surviving family members who have lost a loved one in an accident can file a lawsuit to recover damages that include the decedent's lost wages, future lost earnings, pain and suffering before passing, hospital bills, and medical expenses, grief, pain, suffering, mental anguish, and emotional distress over losing a loved one.
Our accident lawyers have a successful track record representing clients injured in rideshare accidents throughout Illinois and the greater Chicago metropolitan area.
Chicago Rideshare Accident Injury Law FAQs
Our injury law firm understands that many families have unanswered questions concerning compensation after being hurt in a ridesharing accident. An Uber/Lyft crash attorney has answered some of the most common questions below.
Call (888) 424-5757 (toll-free phone call) if you have further questions or to schedule a free case review.
Does the company pay for personal injury claims related to accidents?
Yes. All ridesharing companies, including Uber and Lyft, require drivers to maintain liability coverage for passengers and other drivers under the Chicago Municipal Code. Usually, multiple policies by the ridesharing company and driver typically provide coverage for all passengers and motorists involved in the crash.
All drivers working for Uber/Lyft must also maintain underinsured and uninsured motorist (UIM/UM) liability coverage under their personal insurance policy. The insurance ensures sufficient coverage in every accident, including hit-and-run crashes.
Uber's insurance policy rider provides coverage for passengers in motor vehicle accidents where the other motorist had no insurance or not enough insurance to cover damages.
What should you do if you are injured in an Uber in Chicago?
All Uber drivers must maintain active liability insurance coverage to pay for all their passengers' injuries and damages.
The steps necessary to obtain compensation if you were in a ridesharing accident include the following:
- Seek medical treatment by calling 911 from the car accident scene for transport to the local emergency room for medical evaluation, even if your injuries are minor.
- File a police report and get information about the ridesharing driver, including their name, address, and phone number.
- Get the contact information of all other drivers involved in the accident, including the insurance information of all involved.
- Write down the VIN (vehicle identification number), make, model, or license plate numbers of all vehicles involved in the car accident.
- Capture photographic evidence of the car accident with vehicle damage, the accident scene, and your injuries. Pictures can best capture the extent of property damages and your injuries before the healing process begins.
- Hire an attorney to handle your Uber case. Your attorney can build the case by reading the police report, calculating your medical bills, reviewing medical records, and contacting the liability insurance company to begin the claim evaluation process.
Our Uber accident lawyer Chicago legal team has won over $250 million for our clients.
Can you sue Uber if you get hurt in an accident?
If an Uber driver's negligence causes an accident, you can sue the parent company / their employer based on the legal theory of respondent superior, where the company is vicariously responsible for the acts of their agents (driver).
Our law firm has represented many Uber accident victims involved in car accidents, ensuring that they receive maximum compensation for all their damages.
Unlike most law firms representing injured victims, we seek maximum financial compensation by investigating what happened, who was at fault, and how much we can recover through the driver's personal insurance policy.
Does Uber require insurance for its drivers?
Yes, all rideshare drivers must maintain personal auto insurance to ensure passengers have full coverage in the case of a motor vehicle accident.
In addition to a personal auto insurance policy, a Chicago Uber driver logged onto the Uber platform (when a notification is sent to the driver requesting a ride or picking up an Uber passenger) is also covered by Uber's insurance coverage.
What are most lawyer fees for a car accident?
Most attorneys charge a contingency fee for car accident claims. Your attorney will take a percentage of the settlement as payment, typically around 33%.
However, this amount can vary depending on your state's laws and the complexity of your case. Understanding how much you may be charged before hiring an attorney is essential.
Fortunately, the personal injury attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, LLC accepts all cases on contingency. The agreement ensures our clients only pay us a fee after we recover the proper compensation they deserve. Contact us today to schedule an appointment with a car accident attorney in Chicago.
Contact Our Chicago Uber Accident Lawyers
The experienced Uber accident lawyer Chicago team at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, LLC, has handled thousands of complex auto accident cases. An Uber/Lyft accident lawyer can help you determine your best action to hold the ridesharing industry accountable.
Contact our personal injury law firm at (888) 424-5757 (toll-free phone call) or through the contact form to schedule a free case evaluation.
If our Lyft/Uber accident lawyer Chicago team can't help you with your auto accident case, you don't owe us anything. We only take a fee once we recover full and fair compensation on your behalf.
All discussions with a reputable Chicago Uber accident lawyer in our office will remain confidential through an attorney-client relationship.
If you or a loved one was the victim of a sexual assault in an Uber or Lyft vehicle, view our information page.