Truck Passenger Injury Lawyer: Chicago, Illinois
Attorneys for Truck Accident Victims Who Are Injured in Large Commercial Truck Crashes
Truck passengers who are injured when riding with an irresponsible or reckless large commercial truck driver (maybe working with a truck company) may be entitled to damages for their injuries and related expenses following an accident.
The Chicago trucking accident attorneys of Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC specialize in representing all of those who have suffered serious injury due to the actions liable parties including negligent large commercial truck drivers, even if it is a fellow employee, in car accidents, truck accidents, and other motor vehicle accidents.
Regardless of who is determined to be at fault for the accident, you are guaranteed worker's compensation benefits. These benefits may not cover the entire cost of your medical bills, time off work and other expenses; however, which is why you need to investigate whether you have a claim against your employer or another party responsible for the accident.
If you or a family member were injured as a passenger in a commercial truck accident or similar collision in Chicago or the State of Illinois, we invite you to contact our office for a free review of your case with one of our truck accident lawyers by giving us a phone call or using our contact form. You can discuss your legal options with an attorney who has experience representing people injured while riding as a passenger in a semi-truck.
Primary Causes of Large Commercial Truck Accidents
Every large commercial truck accident is the result of a unique set of circumstances, but there are some factors that many accidents have in common. When evaluating any case, we look for signs of negligence on the part of the commercial truck drivers (especially text messages), the employer, whoever is responsible for maintaining the truck and the manufacturer.
Here are some of the causes of truck crashes that we look for to build a case for compensation (per the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration).
- Driver distraction. When drivers are talking on the phone, sending text messages, eating or otherwise distracted while behind the wheel, their reaction time is much greater and they are less likely to notice hazards on the road.
- Inexperienced driver. When drivers have not received adequate training or lack experience operating large semi-tractors, they are more prone to errors which may result in catastrophic injuries.
- Use of controlled substances. If the driver is intoxicated or under the influence of drugs at the time of an accident, he or she can be considered negligent and be held liable for damages related to the incident.
- Improperly maintained vehicle. Many commercial truck companies have poor maintenance policies and fail to inspect or repair their vehicles on a regular basis to save money in the short term. When this results in equipment failure, the driver of the truck may be powerless to prevent an accident especially when a smaller vehicle is involved.
- Manufactural defect. Defective equipment can contribute to or become the direct cause of an accident or cause injuries to the driver and any passengers in the truck at the time of the incident.
- Speeding. Many accidents involve drivers operating at excessive speeds or violating other traffic laws.
When worker's compensation is not sufficient to pay for our clients' medical bills and other expenses, our Chicago truck accident lawyers investigate other avenues to find ways to make up the difference. If we can prove that the driver was acting negligently or your employer was complicit, you may be entitled to file a lawsuit to collect damages beyond what is covered by your worker's compensation benefits.
How the Value of Your Truck Crash Case is Determined
Just as there are many variables when determining the cause of an accident, an equal number of variables can be used to determine the appropriate amount of compensation to seek in a lawsuit for the injured truck passenger or other injured party. Damages can include any of the following.
- The cost of your past and future medical bills. This would include your initial treatment as well as any therapy or operative procedures that are deemed necessary for your physical recovery.
- The value of your wages during your time off of work. If you suffer a permanent disability due to your injuries, this can include potential earnings lost as well.
- Pain and suffering due to emotional or mental stress, diminished quality of life and the pain endured throughout your recovery.
- Punitive damages. If an act of negligence is considered extraordinarily reckless or unacceptable, the jury may seek to punish the guilty party by providing additional compensation to the victim in the form of punitive damages.
Chicago Truck Crash Statistics
- Almost one in five fatalities from motor vehicle accidents come from truck crashes.
- Nearly five thousand people lose their lives annually due to truck crashes.
- Truck accident fatalities have steadily increased over the last ten years.
- Truck accidents cause local governments and the United States healthcare system tens of billions of dollars annually.
- Each truck accident costs victims tens of thousands of dollars on average.
What You Should Do after a Truck Crash in Chicago
There are certain steps passengers should take following a truck crash in the Chicagoland area. These will help you later should you decide to file a lawsuit for financial compensation for your personal injuries.
First, see a doctor. This will make sure you discovery the full nature of your harms and that they are recorded.
Second, consult a legal advocate. This will help you get knowledge and resources to preserve your claim.
Third, do not speak to the truck driver, truck company, or insurance company. These communications should be conducted by your personal injury attorney and law firm so you do not accidentally say the wrong thing and squander your change to recover.
Fourth, try and write down everything you can remember about the truck crash. This will help and your personal injury attorney when you eventually make your case for damages.
Fighting for Passengers after a Chicago Truck Crash
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC has represented countless truck accident victims across Illinois and is the leading personal injury law firm in the state. If you have been injured as a passenger in a trucking accident, we can ensure that you receive the maximum allowed compensation according to state law for your injuries so that you can focus on your physical recovery without the need to worry about your finances.
Contact us today to schedule a free case review so that we may gather all of the information needed to get to work on your behalf. Our Chicago truck accident attorneys have a history of success when it comes to recovering damages on behalf of our clients and for this reason.
We promise never to ask for any form of payment upfront. We will only receive payment once we've successfully secured a recovery on your behalf and if we are unable to do so for any reason at all, our services will be free of charge.
Truck Accident Resources for General Information Purposes