Committed Chicago Truck Accident Lawyers Representing Seriously Injured People
Have You Been in an Accident Involving a Truck in the Chicago Area?
Considering that you are on this page, chances are you or a loved one has been involved in a motor vehicle accident with a truck, resulting in serious injuries.
You have sustained a personal injury and are seeking help with your accident claim in the State of Illinois, aiming to get the maximum financial compensation for your truck accident injuries.
You Need Help Taking on the Corporations Behind Commercial Carriers
You are understandably overwhelmed with the complexities of your commercial truck accident claim and need help with your case from an experienced Chicago truck accident lawyer.
Compared to other types of motor vehicle cases such as car accidents involving passenger vehicles, commercial truck accidents are more complicated due to the commercial context of logistics and trucking.
This means there may be multiple parties at fault for the incident. What’s more, most of these entities are corporations who are well-experienced in defending claims and lawsuits brought against them for personal injury or wrongful death.
We Have the Perfect Solution for You
Our Chicago truck accident attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC have years of experience assisting individuals and families navigate the legal system to move past their injuries and get their lives back in order.
By using our services, you gain 24/7 access to an attorney who is committed to communicating with you throughout your legal proceedings. Furthermore, we handle tractor trailer crash cases on a contingency fee basis, which means we only receive a fee for our work when we are successful in obtaining a settlement or verdict on your behalf.
We Handle Your Truck Accident Case While You Focus on Your Recovery
When you work with one of our Chicago truck accident lawyers, you can rest assured that you are working with a professional who is familiar with your case and has your best interests in mind.
Our law firm is well-versed in the Federal Safety Regulations that apply to large truck companies and have achieved successful settlements for cases just like yours.
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC has successfully prosecuted cases involving semi-trucks across Illinois and the Midwest, recovering millions of dollars in settlements in trucking cases for our clients.
This is no small achievement, given that most large commercial trucking operations are expecting cases like yours and know how to protect themselves from your legal action against them.
Your attorney at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers will be on hand to help you navigate the ins and outs of your case, so that you can focus on recovering from the physical and emotional trauma incurred by your truck accident.
We’ve Seen This Before, and Know What to do
With our law offices headquartered in downtown Chicago, our truck accident attorneys know the area well and have experience working on large vehicle accident cases involving integral Illinois highways such as: Kingery Expressway (I-80, I-94), Bishop Ford Freeway (I-94), Dan Ryan Expressway (I-90, I-94), Ronald Regan Memorial Tollway (I-88), and Eden’s Expressway (I-94).
While these are common locations for truck accidents, we know what to look for regardless of the location of your accident.
We have seen it all, from rear-end accidents to intersection crashes, left-hand-turn accidents to head-on impacts. Our current and former clients have sustained some of the following injuries:
- Back and neck injuries, including herniated discs
- Brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Internal injury to organs
- Joint injuries such as the knee, hip, and shoulder
Examples of Truck Accident Case Settlements
Our truck accident lawyers have worked on a variety of cases – and won. Below are some examples of settlements we have won for our clients, lightening their load and their medical expenses while they focus on recovering.
What You can Expect From Your Truck Accident Lawyer
When you pursue your Chicago truck accident case with us, your experienced injury lawyer will be on hand 24/7 to ensure your case is given the best possible chance for a favorable settlement. From inception to completion, your legal expert will be by your side through it all:
- Initial legal consultation: Here we will review your case and iron out any details regarding your truck accident so that we can establish the best way forward in line with the prospects of your case. Here we will review the circumstances of your case from a liability and damage perspective so we can help address your immediate concerns and address defenses that may be raised during settlement negotiations or litigation.
- Evidence collection: Your lawyer will work with accident investigators, re-constructionists, and other professionals to gather the evidence needed to win a case. This also includes photographing the scene of the incident, property damage and physical injuries.
- Negotiation: Your legal professional will undertake negotiations of settlement with the relevant insurance company, giving you the best chance of a favorable outcome.
- Filing of lawsuit: If no settlement can be reached, your lawyer will undertake the necessary actions to prepare for trial, including taking depositions and conducting written discovery.
What Our Clients say
A friend suggested that I contact Mr. Rosenfeld after I got hurt in a crash with a semi-truck. I was immediately impressed by how easy he was to talk to and work with. On top of getting a settlement, I feel fortunate to know that I can turn to him if I ever need the services of an injury lawyer again.
Hiring Rosenfeld Injury to represent myself and my daughter after an accident turned to be one of the better decisions that I made. They took care of ordering all of our medical records and even helped steer us away from doctors who work with insurance companies. They definitely helped us get a settlement for more than we anticipated.
As a trucker, I know the games companies play to get people to settle quickly and for less than cases are worth. The staff and lawyers at Rosenfeld’s firm stood their ground with the insurance company and got my case settled for fair value.
Our Process1. Documentation
From the time we are retained in a case, we begin collecting relevant records on your case such as medical records, medical bills and information about insurance coverage.
This frequently means medical reports from treating doctors documenting the extent of your injuries and prognosis.
We are committed to getting this information for you so that you can focus on your physical and emotional recovery.2. Investigation
Our law firm begins an investigation into the circumstances related to your case as soon as feasible.
This typically means obtaining police reports, investigative documents and photographs of the scene of the incident.
This may also entail getting statements from witnesses and others who have knowledge of the facts related to your case.
After we have an understanding as to how your accident occurred and your injuries, we will approach the insurance company for the individual or company who caused the accident and attempt to negotiate a full and fair settlement.
If we cannot secure a settlement, our trial attorneys will get a lawsuit on file and get your case prepared for court.4. Settlement
Over 95% of our cases get resolved prior to trial. Many of our cases get resolved during the course of litigation or during a mediation.
Whenever your case gets settled, your lawyer will give you a complete accounting for all legal fees and expenses showing you exactly how much money you will recover.
We provide you full transparency so you are fully aware of the settlement figures.
Commercial Truck Accident FAQ's
Should I Hire a Lawyer for My Truck Accident Case?
Yes. Because truck accident cases differ from car accident cases, it’s a good idea to hire professional legal representation. There are more legal considerations arising from truck accidents because there is a commercial entity involved.
Trucking is also a heavily regulated industry with many intricacies. The nature of trucking also means there is likely to be much more damage than in a standard car accident. You should hire a lawyer who understands these complexities.
Additionally, your lawyer will understand how trucking companies commonly defend injury cases and will be prepared to fight against the common tactics used to defend these claims, such as:
- Claiming you (the plaintiff) were at fault
- Blaming another third party/unidentified driver
- Claiming your medical treatment is exaggerated
- Claiming no one is at fault
- Arguing that driving conditions were at unfavorable
How Long do I Have to File an Illinois Truck Accident Lawsuit?
Plaintiffs have two years to file a lawsuit after an accident in Illinois. This applies to suing for negligence as well as making a products liability claim following a trucking crash (where the claimant must show that a defective product such as a tire led to a crash).
How Long Will it Take to Settle a Truck Accident Case?
It may take a few months to even a couple of years to settle a truck accident case filed in Cook County Circuit Court, depending on the case and whether it goes to trial. Much of the time frame for settlement will be dependent upon the liability aspects and severity of your injuries. Our attorneys are mindful that many of our clients are eager to resolve their case and work diligently to position your case for a fair settlement as soon as feasible.
How Much is My Truck Accident Case Worth?
Illinois truck cases average much more than other automobile or pedestrian crashes, for several reasons. First, trucks are much larger than other vehicles and can do more damage. Second, trucking is a business and this commercial aspect allows for greater recovery. Third, truck accident victims generally face more severe injuries and life-long consequences.
However, the value of your truck accident case depends on your individual damages and what you are trying to recover. Illinois recognizes the right of an injured person to obtain economic and non-economic damages including medical bills, wages, pain and suffering and punitive damages in the case of extreme recklessness.
If the crash resulted in a fatality, the family of the deceased may recover compensation for the loss of financial support as well as the intangible loss they will experience due to the death.
What Parties may be Responsible in a Trucking Accident Involving Injuries or a Fatality?
After a simple car accident, it can be quite easy to determine responsibility. The other driver will normally carry most of the fault. However, semi-truck incidents trigger different legal and business issues. This will make your job harder when identifying who is responsible for your injuries. To be concise, anyone’s unreasonable conduct that contributed to your damages (economic or non-economic) may be found liable in court, such as:
- The truck driver
- The truck driver’s employer
- The entity that owns the trailer
- Any vendor or party that worked on or for the truck or trailer including repair shops
- The maker or seller of the truck or trailer
What are My Legal Rights if I am a Truck Driver Injured in a Crash or on the Job?
If you are a truck driver employed by a commercial trucking venture and you incur injury while on the job, you have the right to file a workers' compensation claim. This applies regardless of the level of fault you or your employer carries, as long as your employer is part of a state’s workers’ compensation program.
If you are classified as an independent contractor, you may still be eligible. As an injured truck driver, you also have the right to file a personal injury claim against a responsible third party such as other motorists or entity who is not your direct employer. Our law firm proudly represents injured truck drivers in Illinois and across the Midwest.
What You Should Know About Truck Accident Injury Cases
Our legal experts are familiar with the intricacies of trucking accident cases, but you may not be. We have put together some helpful information to improve your understanding of the legal context of your claim. If you need more information, contact our law firm for a free consultation.
- You carry the burden of proof: After establishing liability on the part of the truck company, you as the plaintiff (person bringing the lawsuit) have the burden of proving the damages. In cases involving a substantial injury, expert testimony may be needed from treating physicians and expert witnesses to establish the causal relationship between the accident and your injuries. Most courts also require opinions from qualified experts regarding the permanency of your injury. Using our services will ensure you have access to the necessary experts who can help in providing evidence of your injury.
- You are up against commercial entities: If your case involves an incident with a truck or other commercial vehicle operated by a company, it is important to recognize that these companies and their insurers are skilled at investigating and fighting claims like yours, and know how to do so quickly and cheaply. Consult an experienced Chicago truck accident lawyer before you talk to the trucking company. Our team is well-versed in the tactics used by trucking chains and can assist you to level the playing field.
- Your truck accident claim could be considered worker’s compensation: Depending on the employment status of the trucker, he or she may have legal rights for filing a worker’s compensation case and/or a claim against the party who caused or contributed to the collision or unsafe condition. Regardless of the circumstance, Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers is proud to represent injured truck drivers and will work with you to secure the best outcome for your case from all responsible parties.
What to do if You Have Been Involved in a Truck Accident in the Chicago Area
If you have been involved in an incident with a truck, you need to begin the claims process as soon as possible. This may be difficult if you are badly injured, so you may need help from a friend or family member.
- Report the accident to the police: The first thing you should do is report the accident from the scene and obtain a police report. Remember to relay the facts as you remember them and avoid embellishing the occurrence with your own opinions.
- Document the scene of the accident: To the extent that you are able, make sure that you document the scene of the accident. This means that you take pictures of the scene and get contact information of those who may be possible witnesses to the accident. Take note of the company name on the truck, its registration number, and any contact details you can find. If you are unable to document the accident, try to contact an attorney from the scene of the accident who can come and document the scene for you.
- Report the accident to your insurer: It is very important to report the accident to your insurance company. This will begin the process of starting your claim. This will ensure that your insurance company is informed of what happened and won’t learn of it first from the truck driver's insurance company.
- Hire a lawyer: You should look at obtaining legal representation because actions that you take in the immediate aftermath of an accident may determine whether you are able to receive a settlement in your case.
Your Truck Accident Case in Focus
You are not alone in your position as the injured party as a result of a truck accident in Chicago.
- According to the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT), 14% of people involved in Illinois truck accidents are injured.
- The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) concluded that approximately 87% of truck crashes are due to driver negligence.
- Defective equipment on trucks accounts for about 10% of large commercial vehicle accidents.
Begin the Legal Process Today. Our Team is Ready to Help You
We invite you to contact our office today for a free case evaluation with an experienced Chicago truck accident attorney. One of our injury attorneys is available to discuss the prospects of your case and can guide you on a way forward.
All our personal injury and wrongful death cases involving large commercial trucks are handled on a contingency fee basis, where we only receive a fee for our work when we are successful in obtaining a settlement or verdict on your behalf. Contact us for an obligation-free case review in the Chicago area.