Chicago Sideswipe Bicycle Accident Lawyer
When riding on a bicycle in Illinois, even a slight brush from a vehicle that is easily thousands of pounds heavier can cause bikers serious injuries with exorbitant medical bills and even fatal accident. These sideswipe bicycle accidents are very common, especially in heavy traffic areas.
It only takes a second for a vehicle to swerve off course and clip a bicyclist or for the back-end of a large truck to swing too far to the right, swiping a rider.
These accidents can be just as dangerous to the accident victims as being hit directly, causing them to crash, get thrown off their bikes or even crash in front of oncoming traffic.
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC represents Chicago bicyclists injured (broken bones, brain injury, etc.) in sideswipe crashes. Our team of attorneys appreciates the frustration an injured bicyclist faces when they are in an accident caused by a negligent driver.
Use our contact form for a free consultation and case review of your sideswipe bike crash case today and our bike accident attorneys can review your bike accident and personal injury (or those of a loved one). As with all of our bike injury cases, there is only a legal fee charged when we are successful prosecuting your case.
Causes of Sideswipe Bicycle Accidents in Chicago
A sideswipe accident can happen at any time to a bicyclist riding on the roads with motor vehicles. Even when they are riding in a designated bike lane or safely on the shoulder as the law permits, there are only a few feet between them and the motorists traveling by in the right lane.
This is a small buffer zone that can be covered in a heartbeat by a vehicle traveling 20 MPH or more. Although most sideswipe accidents (and the resulting bicycle injuries) are not intentional, it does not make them any less dangerous. Some common causes of sideswipe bicycle accidents and similar car accidents include the following.
- Wide vehicles. Trucks with large rear-view mirrors, dual-wheel trucks, cargo trucks, vehicles pulling wide trailers and motor homes are all exceptional wide and can take up an entire lane. It only takes a small move to the right to swing into the right shoulder or bike lane.
- Turning trailers. Semi-trailer trucks and other vehicles with long trailers can swing too wide or too close and inadvertently swipe a bicyclist.
- Distracted drivers. Distraction is much to common on the roads today. Cell phones, tablets, GPS devices and even music can distract a driver just long enough to cause them to swerve out of their lane.
- Illegal behavior. Road rage, driving under the influence (click here) and fatigued driving (for more information on the role of driver fatigue in accidents look here) can also attribute to drivers intentionally or even unintentionally swerving and swiping a bicyclist.
What makes the sideswipe accident one of the worst types of bicycle collisions is there is almost no way for the cyclist to avoid this car accident and the severe injuries that come with it. This type of accident happens when a driver allows part or all their vehicle to move outside of their lane, which is rarely a conscious action.
There is no way to predict when this could happen, making it hard to avoid for bicyclists. The only defensive move a cyclist can make is that if they see a vehicle that is swerving within their own lane or a wide vehicle that is barely contained within the lane lines, make a point not to ride abreast of these vehicles.
What You Should Do after a Chicago Sideswipe Bike Crash
In the moments immediately following a bicycle accident with a motorist, there are some steps you should take to protect your right to obtain financial compensation in Illinois. Here are some of the tasks the bicycle accident attorneys at our law firm suggest and you should remember to complete them.
- Seek medication attention. This will help you identify of all of your personal injuries, figure out what your medical expenses will be, and prove that you in fact suffered them from the bicycling crash in future litigation.
- Avoid talking to the other people involved in the bike crash. These communications should only be done with counsel as to prevent you from disclosing anything that might harm or defeat your bicycle accident cases.
- Write down your memories of the bicycle collision. The case or settlement might be months or years from the event so memorializing your recollection of the incident will help you describe your serious injuries and trauma long after it happened.
Use our contact form to understand in more detail the moves to make after a Chicago sideswipe crash. Our bicycle accident lawyers can help you from start to finish and will not stop until you are successful in your claim!
Get Legal Help for Injuries Caused by A Driver Who Sideswipes You While Cycling in Chicago
These sideswipe accidents are bound to occur and when they do, it is almost always the fault of the driver in the vehicle. If a cyclist is injured after being sideswiped, he or she deserves to be compensated for their injuries. This may include money for lost wages, medical expenses and even pain and suffering in some cases.
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC is an experienced Chicago bicycle accident law firm that will investigate the accident fully and make every effort to gain the most compensation for the bicyclist's injuries. Our proactive approach can make a big difference in the value of the case and settlement.
For additional information about preventing bicycle side-swipe accidents review the information below: