Roseland Community Hospital is a 134-bed hospital located in Cook County, Illinois at:
45 W 111th Street
Chicago IL 60628
Roseland Community Hospital has provided health care services to residents and visitors on Chicago's far south side for over 85 years. Some of the specialty services the facility provides include:
- Family medicine
- Pain management
- General surgery
- Emergency medical services
- Internal medicine
- Infectious diseases
- Physical therapy
- Pharmaceutical services
- Medical stabilization
- Pastoral care
- Perinatal services
- Mammography testing
- Adolescent behavioral health
Currently, Roseland Community Hospital maintains the following designations:
- Perinatal II
According to data supplied by the hospital to the Illinois Department of Health other agencies, Roseland Community Hospital reported the following medical errors which may be of concern to patients and their families.
Health Care-Associated Infections
- Central Line-Associated Bloodstream Infections in the Adult Medical/Surgical ICU (1/1/11 to 12/31/11) with two reported infections for 1120 central-line days
- Risk-adjusted Postoperative lung embolism or deep vein thrombosis (DVT clotting) (10/1/10 to 9/30/11) 1 out of 275 patients
- Accidental Puncture and Laceration (10/1/10 to 9/30/11) 4 out of 4,451 patients
- Postoperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma (10/1/10 to 9/30/11) 2 out of 277 patients
- Postoperative Respiratory Failure (10/1/10 to 9/30/11) 1 out of 51 patients
Maternal Safety and Utilization
- Birth Trauma (10/1/10 to 9/30/11) 1 out of 322 patients
Also, the facility provides CT scan diagnostic imaging as an inpatient procedure. According to the Illinois Health Care Report Card, it took patients significantly longer received care in the facility's Emergency Department. Between April 1, 2016, March 31, 2017, the results of receiving care and emergency department include:
- The time from the arrival in the emergency department until departure was 630 minutes, which is more than double the national average (282 minutes) and the Illinois State average (271 minutes).
- The amount of time from deciding to admit a patient from the emergency room to admitting the patient was 206 minutes compared to the national average of 102 minutes and the Illinois State average of 94 minutes.
- The time from arriving at the emergency department to being discharged was 269 minutes on average compared to the national average of 138 minutes in the Illinois State average of 144 minutes.
- The time of receiving a diagnostic evaluation by qualified medical professional after arriving at the emergency department is 89 minutes at Roseland Community Hospital. The length of time is almost 4.5 times longer than the national average of 20 minutes and the Illinois State average of 22 minutes.
- The length of time to receive a drug to treat pain associated with long bone fractures after arriving at the emergency room is 124 minutes at Roseland. This length of time is more than double the national average of 49 minutes in the Illinois State average of 44 minutes.
The survey also revealed that more than one in ten patients either leave the hospital against medical advice or discontinue their care. This statistic was captured between January 1, 2016, through December 31, 2016
Satisfaction Survey Results
The result of a standardized survey of hospital patients conducted by the Hospital Consumer Assessment of Health Care Providers and Systems (HCAHPS) revealed that only four out of ten patients receiving care at Roseland Community Hospital would recommend the facility to others. This statistic is nearly identical to patients who were highly satisfied with care the care they received (43%) between April 1, 2016, through March 31, 2017.
The surveyor also revealed that only 53% of all patients received direction from the staff about the medicines they were receiving. While the national average of patients who understand their follow-up care after leaving the facility ranks at 52% nationally and 53% among comparative hospitals in Illinois, Roseland Community Hospital ranked only 31% or less than one in three.
Chicago, Illinois Medical Malpractice Lawyers
If you or your child suffered harm after being admitted to Roseland Community Hospital or emergency department, it might have been related to medical negligence. Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC has experience in protecting our clients from mistakes and all medical environments. Contact our attorneys today to discuss your case.
Our team of attorneys provides free initial case evaluations. If hired, our lawyers postpone payment of all our legal fees until after we have successfully resolved your case through a negotiated out of court settlement or a jury trial award. All consultations are free and confidential.