The Rockford slip and fall accident attorneys of Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC explore all possible avenues of recovering compensation on behalf of those who have been injured due to premises liability or employer negligence which has caused a slip or a fall. These accidents can occur just about anywhere and change a person's life in a moment, with injuries as minor as sprains, bumps and bruises and as severe as trauma to the brain, broken bones and injuries to the back or spine. Regardless of how you have been injured, we will seek to recover fair compensation so that the financial burden does not stifle your physical recovery.
The Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents in Rockford
While slip and fall accidents are one of the most common causes of injury on the job, they are also just as common elsewhere. Property owners who do not take proper measures to maintain their premises or to keep their buildings free of clutter and hazards place their guests in harm's way. From unmarked dangers to the failure to install safety devices, here are the most common causes of these types of accidents.
- Poor lighting— whether inside or outside of the building, guests deserve access to enough illumination to alert them to trip and fall hazards. Dimly lit hallways and stairways are the cause of many slip and fall accidents as are poorly lit parking lots and entrances.
- Balconies are not kept up to code— balconies need to be equipped with guardrails to ensure that guests do not fall and these rails need to be maintained so that they do not fail. The balconies themselves also need to be able to support the weight of their occupants, as a collapse can have catastrophic effects.
- Wet floors— whether they have just been cleaned or have gathered moisture due to guests tracking in ice or snow, slippery floors can be perilous to those who are unsuspecting. These floors need to be marked to warn guests and carpets should be laid down to provide traction on wintry or rainy days.
- Ice and snow— there is no reason for property owners not to plan for the winters we receive and they should have access to salt and snow clearing tools to keep walkways clear, and parking lots plowed. Failure to do so can result in liability if someone is hurt.
- Defective pavement and sidewalks— uneven walkways, potholes and other defects in the pavement and sidewalk can pose significant hazards.
- Workplace hazards— clutter, moving machinery, wet floors, lack of guardrails and other hazards can abound on the job, and it is the responsibility of employers to minimize these risks to protect employees. Failure to do so results in liability.
The Types of Injuries Caused by Rockford Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents have the potential to be devastating, mainly if a fall occurs from a significant height. We find that many of our clients are forced to take time off of work to recover, which only adds financial stress that they cannot afford to bear during their recoveries. Some of the severe injuries we see include the following.
- Injuries to the back or spine— a herniated or ruptured disc can prove to be extremely painful and debilitating as can broken vertebrae. Nerve damage can be even more devastating, especially if the spine is severed, rendering the victim paralyzed for life.
- Fractures— broken bones are prevalent in the case of slip and fall accidents. The force of landing on the pavement during any fall can easily result in broken bones, especially when the victim attempts to brace for impact. Many of the fractured wrists we see, for example, occur because the victim's natural reflex was to extend his or her arms to brace for the fall.
- Traumatic brain injuries— if the victim has suffered trauma to the head or face, it is possible he or she may have a traumatic brain injury. These are silent killers because symptoms may not present themselves for weeks or months following the accident. By then, it is too late to repair the damage, and the victim could suffer from some neurological disorders that impact cognition and motor function.
- Death— it is possible for some slip and fall accidents to claim the life of the victim. When this is the case, the victim's family can investigate whether the property owner or employer was negligent and liable for the events leading up to their loved one's death.
Put Our Rockford Slip and Fall Lawyers to Work on Your Case
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC is a successful personal injury law firm because we explore every possible route to recovering the fair compensation your case deserves. We have helped thousands of people injured in premises liability and due to workplace accidents. If you have been injured, we can help you.
Contact us today to arrange a free consultation with one of our award-winning Rockford slip and fall accident attorneys so that we can let you know more about your legal options. If we are unable to secure compensation on your behalf, our services will be free of charge.
For additional information see the following pages: