The Rockford cerebral palsy attorneys of Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC work tirelessly on behalf of families who are forced to care for special needs children because of injuries they suffered during or shortly following birth. In addition to the financial toll that caring for a child with this condition can have, families often suffer from high stress levels and the grief of watching their child suffer throughout his or her development. The worry of what may happen to the child long after the parents have passed on also creeps in and we make it a priority to help families recover the compensation they need and to access resources that will allow their children to thrive well into adulthood.
The Exorbitant Cost of Treating Children with Cerebral Palsy
Rising healthcare costs over the last thirty years have not helped families with loved ones suffering from chronic conditions or disabilities, as the increased costs have placed a squeeze on their finances. This can make it even more challenging to provide for children with cerebral palsy because one parent may be required to stay at home in order to tend to his or her needs, which exacerbates the problem even further through lost income.
Throughout a child’s lifetime, it may cost millions of dollars for special care, therapy and other programs and assistance that will allow the child to live a happy and productive life. This is too large of a burden to expect a family to cover without support and compensation— especially when the condition was the result of an injury linked to medical negligence or malpractice. Our Rockford cerebral palsy lawyers rely on access to medical experts, social workers and economists to accurately determine the value of your case so that we can seek fair compensation that will cover your child’s needs now and into the future.
Birth Injuries that Commonly Result in Rockford Cerebral Palsy Cases
It is important that children are monitored throughout a pregnancy and during labor to make sure that there are no signs of fetal distress or oxygen deprivation to the brain. Hypoxia, which is long term oxygen deprivation, is one of the leading causes of cerebral palsy during birth. It can result from a number of conditions or injuries, making it all the more imperative that the child’s vital signs are closely monitored and that doctors make the decision to take action quickly upon discovery of a potential problem.
Here are some of the more common causes of cerebral palsy.
- Infections occurring during pregnancy or at birth— the immune response triggered by an infection can be devastating for infants because of increased body temperature and other common measures the body takes to defend itself. Since infants’ bodies are not yet able to handle the immune response, an infection can be more dangerous and lead to serious injuries to vital organs, including the brain.
- Elevated bilirubin levels— bilirubin is a substance that is produced in the body in response to an injury such as bruising or blunt trauma. Our livers remove bilirubin from the blood, but infants’ livers are not fully developed at birth, making it impossible for their livers to regulate levels of the substance. Jaundice is the clear indicator of a problem and when it is caught quickly, it can be treated without injury.
- Fetal distress— there are so many ways that things can go wrong during labor and doctors often respond to these complications in an efficient and effective manner when they arise. The failure to detect fetal distress often results in permanent injury, however, and may be attributed to the nurse not monitoring the child’s vitals correctly or the doctor’s delayed response to indicators of distress.
- Testing inaccuracies or misinterpreted results— the majority of doctors’ decisions in modern medicine are predicated on information they receive from diagnostic tests, as these tests allow them to consider multiple hypotheses. When the tests return incorrect results or the doctor doesn’t interpret them correctly, the consequences can be catastrophic.
Local Resources for Families of Children with Cerebral Palsy
It is often comforting for families caring for disabled children to know that they are not alone and have a support network to rely on when raising their children and overcoming the day to day challenges they face. The United Cerebral Palsy Sequin of Greater Chicago offers services to families that include life skills development, employment training, Community Integrated Living and mobility services that help children at all stages of their development. To learn more, you can contact UCPSGC by calling (708) 863-3803 or visiting http://ucpseguin.org/.
Put Our Proficient Rockford Cerebral Palsy Lawyers to Work on Your Behalf
If your child suffered an injury at birth and has been diagnosed with cerebral palsy, we understand the emotional anguish that you must be feeling and the worry you have for your child’s future. Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC has helped thousands of clients recover the fair compensation they needed to make sure that their children were provided for long into adulthood. We can also connect you to the resources and support that you will need to be able to enrich your child’s life and see him or her thrive.
Contact us today to arrange a free consultation with one of our award winning Rockford cerebral palsy attorneys so that we can review the details of your claim and conduct a thorough investigation. We will also assess your child’s needs so that we can seek enough compensation to ensure he or she will be provided the medical and financial support he or she needs throughout his or her lifetime. Should we be unable to recover damages on your behalf for any reason at all, you are assured our services will come completely free of charge.
For additional information see the following pages:
- Aurora Cerebral Palsy & Birth Injury Attorneys
- Champaign Cerebral Palsy & Birth Injury Attorneys
- Elgin Cerebral Palsy & Birth Injury Attorneys
- Evanston Cerebral Palsy & Birth Injury Attorneys
- Joliet Cerebral Palsy & Birth Injury Attorneys
- Naperville Cerebral Palsy & Birth Injury Attorneys
- Peoria Cerebral Palsy & Birth Injury Attorneys
- Springfield Cerebral Palsy & Birth Injury Attorneys
- Waukegan Cerebral Palsy & Birth Injury Attorneys