Rockford Bicycle Accident Lawyers
Rockford Bike Trails
Its proximity to numerous forest preserves and trails makes Rockford a wonderful place to take a bike hike. Riders may choose to travel along the Long Prairie Trail, which follows a section of the old Kenosha Division Rail Line, enjoy a forest ride along the trails within the Keiselburg Forest Preserve or visit Rock Cut State Park in neighboring Loves Park, which has access to seven miles of trails designed specifically for mountain bikers.
Adherence to Bike Laws Protects Your Rights
While many bicycle accidents are the result of negligence on behalf of motorists, defendants will often use the non-adherence to local laws as a means of mitigating damage. It hurts your case if you were breaking the law at the time of your accident, so it is important to observe local ordinances, not only for your own protection, but also for the protection of others. Section 16-77 of Article IV of the Rockford Code of Ordinances highlights the following rules which bicyclists must follow.
- You should never carry passengers on a bicycle, as this endangers you as well as your passenger.
- Riding on the sidewalk is prohibited in areas of business or commerce.
- When riding on the sidewalk where permitted, you must stay to the right and make pedestrians aware of your presence before passing.
- You may not hitch onto any motor vehicle.
- When a bike path or bicycle lane has been provided, bicyclists must use that lane and refrain from occupying any other part of the street.
Drivers Must be Held Accountable for the Accidents They Cause
Even though it is possible for a bicyclist to be the cause of an accident if he or she fails to adhere to local bike laws, drivers are liable for Rockford bicycle accidents more often than not. In many cases, the driver either fails to notice the cyclist altogether or invades the space that the cyclist is entitled to on the road by law.
When the driver is at fault, he or she must provide compensation so that the victim may be able to pay for the cost of treating his or her injuries and any other expenses that result from the accident. Compensation can be provided for the following.
- Surgical treatment of broken bones and rehabilitative therapy.
- Long term care of neurological disorders resulting from traumatic brain injuries.
- Treatment of lacerations and infections caused by the introduction of debris to open wounds.
- Care for spinal injuries, including surgeries to repair the back or spine.
- Lost wages due to an inability to work throughout the victim’s physical recovery.
- Pain and suffering.
The Rockford bicycle accident attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC have helped thousands of clients injured in bicycle accidents receive the treatment they have needed and recovered the compensation required to pay for their care. Contact us now to arrange a risk free consultation to learn more about your legal options and how we are able to maximize the value of your case through the use of an expert team of medical experts, economists, accident reconstruction specialists and proven attorneys.
Unless we are able to negotiate a settlement or secure a court judgment in your favor, our services will always be free of charge.