Chicago Road Rage Car Accident Attorney
Aggressive driving continues to be a significant problem on Illinois roadways, especially in the Chicago Metropolitan area. Driving aggressively is often referred to as road rage, where vented anger on the roadway continues to be a key contributor to serious car crashes. A road rage car accident can be a tangible threat to other motorists and passenger safety.
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC knows the dangers that road rage poses to all motorists on Illinois roads and highways. Our attorneys have prosecuted Chicago car accident cases on behalf of injured people where road rage was involved. Contact our office to arrange for a free case evaluation of your road rage accident case today.
Defining Aggressive Driving Behavior
While no national definition of aggressive driving behavior exists, in Illinois, road rage is commonly referred to as a societal condition where drivers lose their temper or display anger as a reaction to some type of disturbance in traffic. In most road rage car accident claims, an angry driver chose to cause intentional injury or death to another motorist because of some type of traffic dispute.
Usually, road rage aggressive motorists react in a negative way, by using their car or truck as a retaliatory weapon. The driver does this by making threatening or sudden maneuvers that cause unsafe road conditions for the intended victim and other nearby motorists. Experts have concluded that many aggressive driving behaviors are triggered by numerous stimuli.
Some road rage aggressive drivers are provoked by roadway congestion or another driver’s actions. Commonly, erratic driving behavior is the result of the driver’s reaction and mood when behind the wheel of their vehicle.
Common Acts Of Road Rages That May Escalate Into Serious Accidents
There are specific common irritant behaviors that aggressive motorists display when driving erratically on highways, roadways, and metropolitan Chicago city streets. These behaviors include:
- Tailgating as a way to pressure another driver to move faster or get their vehicle out of the way
- Displaying an obscene gesture
- Flashing headlights in an effort to force other motorists to move aside
- Changing their lane without using signals
- Blasting the vehicle horn
- Driving in the left or passing lane at a speed too slow for others to pass
- Racing toward a yellow light about to turn red
- Slowing the vehicle down once passing another car
- Cutting other motorists off
- Driving the car with high beam lights on, toward oncoming traffic or behind other cars
- Driving straight through the intersection when clearly in a right-hand turn lane
What to Do about Road Rage
There are certain actions that any motorist can take to minimize the potential of having a road rage car accident caused by an aggressive driver. These actions can minimize the potential of injury and property damage, and help motorists and passengers live to enjoy another day. Actions to avoid dealing with road rage aggressive drivers include:
- Remain courteous and polite
- Follow Illinois state laws about rules of the road
- Use directional lights any time shifting lanes
- Maintain speed limits
- Follow all vehicles at a safe distance
- Attempt to stay mainly in one lane
- Put physical distance between the aggressive driver and your vehicle
- Avoid distraction including reading the paper, using the phone or texting anytime the car is in motion
- Never irritate or antagonize other motorists
- Never show a reaction to an aggressive driver
- Use the car horn sparingly
- Avoid eye contact with aggressive drivers
- Maintain music playing levels in the vehicle low enough to not annoy others
- If frustrated, find a distraction that could include listening to the radio, conversing with a passenger, or talking to yourself as a way to calm down
- Remain tolerant of any other motorist exhibiting unacceptable traffic behaviors
Legal Options After A Chicago Road Rage Car Accident Results In Injury To You
Road rage is a serious issue in Chicago and throughout the state of Illinois. If you have been injured in a car accident caused by road rage or an aggressive driver, legal representation is crucial to your claim.
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC specialize in Illinois vehicle accidents with injuries, including those caused by road rage. The attorneys investigate all evidence concerning the claim, talk with witnesses, and gather essential documents including medical reports and accident information. Our skilled attorneys can help you obtain financial compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages from missed work, future earnings, disability, damages, pain, and suffering. Call us at (888) 424-5757 or fill out our online contact form for a free consultation with an experienced attorney.
For more information about , please contact Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC today by calling 888-424-5757. Talk to a lawyer now. Free consultation.