Chicago Rental Truck Accident Attorneys
Few people truly appreciate the size and power of rental trucks. Rental truck companies have skirted their responsibilities to customers and those who must share the roads with their vehicles for a long time now.
The trucking accident attorneys of Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC have represented thousands of accident victims in Chicago who were harmed behind the passenger vehicle wheel or in rental truck company accidents involving vehicles that did not belong on the road.
Use our contact form or give us a phone call to learn about legal claim or other legal action you may bring against the moving truck driver, large commercial truck company, or insurance company. Many people forget that the relevant insurance policy or other insurance plan might apply (like supplemental rental vehicle insurance policy).
Major moving companies (i.e. U-Haul) need to be held accountable when they deliberately break safety laws and take advantage of customers who are unaware of the decrepit condition the vehicles they rent are in at the time of delivery.
Chicago Rental Trucks Pose Risks Due to Inexperienced Drivers
Moving trucks are much larger than the vehicles most drivers are accustomed to operating, and their weight and length can contribute to an accident if the driver has little or no experience behind the wheel of a large truck.
To exacerbate these risks, moving companies often provide large vehicles (think U-Haul truck) that are in poor condition and have not been adequately inspected or maintained. Imagine the difficulty in keeping control of a truck during a tire blowout or brake failure when even commercial truck drivers have been known to lose control during these situations.
Growing Complaints Against Rental Trucking Companies in Chicago
Rental companies (i.e. U-Haul) have been getting away with passing their liability onto the renters of their vehicles or other truck drivers despite being utterly complicit in the circumstances that create accidents.
These moving companies and rental truck drivers use loopholes in the law to avoid meeting the standards expected of every major trucking company, and the issues commonly reported to rental companies include the following.
- Vehicles overdue for inspection. Rental trucks are not considered commercial vehicles, so rental companies have circumvented the law by not submitting their vehicles for regular inspections. The U.S Department of Transportation does not maintain oversight over rental vehicles, so many of the trucks that are issued to renters are well over a year beyond their mandatory inspection requirement.
- Total lack of maintenance. Not only are these vehicles poorly maintained, but some investigations have uncovered rental companies which have not serviced their vehicles at all when a tire blows or the brakes fail. However, the same companies attempt to pass liability onto the renter, which only exhibits their willful negligence, greed and lack of moral fiber.
- Aged vehicles with a greater risk of failure. Every vehicle experiences wear and tear over its lifetime, and many of the rental trucks on the road have lived beyond their recommended mileage and age. Rental companies try to limit their overhead by stretching out the life of each vehicle and renting them to unsuspecting renters who are unaware of the risks.
- Vehicles with known mechanical issues. Not only can vehicles that have been poorly maintained break down and leave renters stranded, but mechanical defects can cause the driver to lose control or make it impossible to slow or bring the vehicle to a stop. Common issues include defective or worn brakes and tires and engines prone to failure.
- Manufactural defects. In some cases, manufactural defects can become the catalyst in an accident and both the manufacturer and rental company are responsible for identifying potential concerns that can threaten the safety of renters and the drivers they must share the road.
Rental Truck Accident Information and Statistics
- Thousands of rental trucks get into accidents on a yearly basis.
- These truck accidents leave close to 200 people dead.
- Hundreds more are seriously injured and disabled due to the Chicago rental truck crash.
- The driver of the rental truck is responsible for the accident more than half the time.
- Each rental truck accident costs millions of dollars in damage and expenses.
Fight Back and Preserve Your Rights Following an Illinois Rental Truck Accident
The Chicago trucking accident attorneys of Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC find it deplorable that rental companies charge renters for the right to use poorly maintained and unsafe vehicles and it is our goal to put an end to this practice by taking the fight to these reckless and morally corrupt companies.
If you have been harmed or lost a loved one in a rental truck accident, you are entitled to receive full compensation for the cost of your medical treatment, out of pocket expenses, medical bills, insurance plan adjustments, lost income, pain, and suffering and— in the case of a lost loved one, wrongful death damages and possibly even punitive damages.
We have helped thousands of people just like you recover the fair compensation they were entitled to for their injuries.
Our Chicago Rental Truck Accident Attorneys Can Help
In any case, the most important skill is knowing where to go and what to do. Our group of experienced personal injury attorneys and legal advocates can step in and forge a path to relief and recovery in your rental truck crash claim by doing the following:
- Gather all facts needed to prove your claims
- Take statements from relevant witnesses
- Depose opposing parties to gain crucial admissions
- File a claim in Chicago court that builds the necessary foundation for relief
- Engage insurance companies in negotiations for benefits
To identify the crucial steps you need to take to obtain financial compensation, talk to us today by using our contact form below or giving us a call.
Experienced Chicago Rental Truck Accident Law Firm
Get ahold of us today through our contact form to learn why Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC is the leading trucking accident law firm in Illinois and to schedule a free consultation and case review.
Once we have had the opportunity to perform our investigation into your accident, we will review your legal options with you and advise you on how to proceed.
We only collect a fee when we win or settle your case and should we be unable to secure compensation on your behalf; our services will be completely free of charge.