Few people truly appreciate the size and power of rental trucks and rental companies have skirted their responsibilities to customers and those who must share the roads with their vehicles for a long time now. The trucking accident attorneys of Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC have represented thousands of clients in Chicago who were harmed behind the wheel or in rental truck accidents involving vehicles that did not belong on the road. Major rental companies need to be held accountable when they deliberately break safety laws and take advantage of customers who are unaware of the decrepit condition the vehicles they rent are in at the time of delivery.
Rental Trucks Pose Risks Due to Inexperienced Drivers
Moving vehicles are much larger than the vehicles most drivers are accustomed to operating, and their weight and length can contribute to an accident if the driver has little or no experience behind the wheel of a large truck. To exacerbate these risks, rental companies often provide trucks that are in poor condition and have not been adequately inspected or maintained. Imagine the difficulty in keeping control of a truck during a tire blowout or brake failure when even commercial truck drivers have been known to lose control during these situations.
Growing Complaints Against Rental Trucking Companies
Rental companies have been getting away with passing their liability onto the renters of their vehicles despite being utterly complicit in the circumstances that create accidents. These companies use loopholes in the law to avoid meeting the standards expected of every major trucking company, and the issues commonly reported to rental companies include the following.
- Vehicles overdue for inspection. Rental trucks are not considered commercial vehicles, so rental companies have circumvented the law by not submitting their vehicles for regular inspections. The U.S Department of Transportation does not maintain oversight over rental vehicles, so many of the trucks that are issued to renters are well over a year beyond their mandatory inspection requirement.
- Total lack of maintenance. Not only are these vehicles poorly maintained, but some investigations have uncovered rental companies which have not serviced their vehicles at all when a tire blows or the brakes fail. However, the same companies attempt to pass liability onto the renter, which only exhibits their willful negligence, greed and lack of moral fiber.
- Aged vehicles with a greater risk of failure. Every vehicle experiences wear and tear over its lifetime, and many of the rental trucks on the road have lived beyond their recommended mileage and age. Rental companies try to limit their overhead by stretching out the life of each vehicle and renting them to unsuspecting renters who are unaware of the risks.
- Vehicles with known mechanical issues. Not only can vehicles that have been poorly maintained break down and leave renters stranded, but mechanical defects can cause the driver to lose control or make it impossible to slow or bring the vehicle to a stop. Common issues include defective or worn brakes and tires and engines prone to failure.
- Manufactural defects. In some cases, manufactural defects can become the catalyst in an accident and both the manufacturer and rental company are responsible for identifying potential concerns that can threaten the safety of renters and the drivers they must share the road.
Fight Back and Preserve Your Rights Following a Rental Truck Accident
The Chicago trucking accident attorneys of Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC find it deplorable that rental companies charge renters for the right to use poorly maintained and unsafe vehicles and it is our goal to put an end to this practice by taking the fight to these reckless and morally corrupt companies. If you have been harmed or lost a loved one in a rental truck accident, you are entitled to receive full compensation for the cost of your medical treatment, out of pocket expenses, lost income, pain, and suffering and— in the case of a lost loved one, wrongful death. We have helped thousands of people just like you recover the fair compensation they were entitled to for their injuries.
Contact us today to learn why Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC is the leading trucking accident law firm in Illinois and to schedule a free consultation and case review. Once we have had the opportunity to perform our investigation into your accident, we will review your legal options with you and advise you on how to proceed. We only collect a fee when we win or settle your case and should we be unable to secure compensation on your behalf; our services will be completely free of charge.