Punch presses are machines that mold metal using extreme amounts of force and are typically used in the manufacture of components for large machines or vehicles. The power that they exert on metal to form it into its desired shape makes them capable of severely injuring the workers who must place and remove the metal components into the presses. The Chicago punch press injury attorneys of Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC recognize how devastating these injuries can be and work diligently to ensure that workers are able to recover the compensation they need to be able to support themselves and meet their financial obligations.
The Very Serious Nature of Punch Press Accidents
According to OSHA, just about one in every two punch press accidents leads to the amputation of the victim’s limb. When a hand is caught inside such a powerful device designed to crush and bend metal into form, it will undoubtedly crush bone and cause permanent disfigurement of the affected limb. For this reason, it is important to conduct an investigation whenever an employee is injured in this manner to determine whether every possible action was taken to prevent the accident from occurring.
The common causes of these incidents include the following.
- Failure to properly train employees so that they can use the machine safely and recognize the risks and dangers involved in their work.
- Failure to properly supervise workers in order to make sure they are working in an efficient, yet safe manner.
- Poor machine inspection and maintenance practices. The corners companies take to save money today can forever impact the lives of injured workers tomorrow.
- Defective machine components. When the machine itself malfunctions, it may cause injury to the operator. The manufacturer of the defective part may be held liable in addition to the employer.
Determining exactly who was at fault is important when exploring your legal options so that you can ensure you are able to recover every bit of compensation the law allows. Even if you were at fault for your accident, you are still guaranteed worker’s compensation benefits and may be able to seek additional compensation if you were not given adequate safety training or equipment.
What Forms of Compensation are You Entitled to Following a Workplace Injury?
One of the reasons many people seek legal advice after a punch press accident is that they are unaware of their rights and don’t know how to pursue their claim. To make matters worse, many employers’ insurance companies will use trickery and deceit to try to get victims to forfeit their legal rights.
The compensation that you are guaranteed includes the following.
- The cost of your medical treatment, regardless of whether you see your own doctors or your employer’s preferred specialists.
- Two thirds of your average salary for as long as you are unable to return to work.
- Additional benefits are available for anyone who is physically disabled due to a permanent injury such as an amputation or disfigurement.
- Wrongful death benefit in the event a worker dies due to the severity of his or her injuries. This is to ensure the worker’s family is able to cover the cost of their loved one’s memorial service and the value of his or her financial contributions to the family.
Learn More during a Free Case Evaluation with an Attorney
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC is a leading advocate for workers who have been injured while on the job and we have recovered compensation on behalf of thousands of clients. If you have been injured in a punch press accident, we can help you secure the damages you need to be able to meet your financial obligations now and in the future. Contact us today to arrange your free consultation with one of our award winning Chicago punch press accident attorneys.