Presence St. Joseph Hospital is a 184-bed medical center providing health care services to residents in Elgin and Cook County/Kane County, Illinois. The facility is located at:
77 N. Airlite St.
Elgin, IL 60123
The medical center provides the community access to various health care departments that include:
- Rehabilitation Center
- Regional Cancer Center
- Surgery Center providing minimally invasive robotic surgery options
- Cardiovascular services including cardiac rehabilitation
- Behavioral health
- Hyperbaric medicine solutions
- Wound care
- Certified Primary Stroke Center
- Level II trauma emergency medical services
All medical services, treatments, surgeries and procedures are covered by the facility’s 375 physicians.
All healthcare centers, medical centers and hospitals nationwide receive a ranked score based on publicly available data that shows areas of strength and areas that need improvement. Currently, presence St. Joseph Hospital in Elgin maintains an overall “B” score that ranks it in the 50th percentile nationwide. This ranking involves incoming patient flow, discharge patient information, patient satisfaction and any adverse complaint or event they could be associated with medical malpractice.
Many hospitals and medical centers throughout Illinois receive state designations indicating they provide a higher level of care than other facilities in the state. Currently, Presence St. Joseph Hospital of Elgin maintains two state designations that include:
Emergency Department Approved for Pediatrics (EDAP)
The Illinois Department of Public Health and Emergency Medical Services for Children has designated Presence St. Joseph Hospital of Elgin as an active participant in their EDAP program. This means the hospital has essential capabilities and resources to meet the critical care and emergency needs of seriously injured and seriously ill children. The Medical Center provides high-quality pediatric care and follows protocols for treating abused children in the community. These services are provided around-the-clock.Trauma Center II
The hospital participates in the Illinois trauma system with its Level II trauma center facility, by providing all essential emergency services 24 hours a day. The center also provides access to non-essential medical services in an hour or less, around the clock.
The state of Illinois requires every hospital to participate in programs that are proven effective at minimizing or eliminating the facility-acquired infections during a patient’s post-procedure and post-surgery stay. The most recently reported hospital-acquired infections concerning Presence St. Joseph Hospital in Elgin involve:
- Central Line Associated Bloodstream Infection Occurring in the Adult Surgical/Medical ICU between 01/01/2014 and 12/31/2014 – 3 infection incidents out of 1865 central-line days
- Health Care Facility Onset Incident Bloodstream Infection Rate of MRSA (Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus) between 01/01/2014 and 12/31/2014 – 2 infection incidents out of 43,230 patient days
- Health Care Facility Onset Incident Rate of CDI (Clostridium Difficile Infections) between 01/01/2014 and 12/31/2014 – 19 infection incidents out of 43,230 patient days
Patient Safety Concerns
The most recent discharge information gathered by the Illinois Department of Public Health is used as a quality indicator on the medical services, adverse complaints and life-threatening events occurring at hospitals statewide. The most current public safety concerns involving Presence St. Joseph Hospital in Elgin was accumulated between 10/01/2013 in 09/30/2014. The significant health problems that potentially could have been caused by medical malpractice include:
- Blood Clotting (Deep Vein Thrombosis) or Postoperative Lung Embolism – 11 incidents out of 1129 patients
- Accidental Lacerations or Punctures – 5 incidents out of 6262 patients
- Abdominal Wall Surgery-Associated Wound Complication – 1 incident out of 115 patients
- Postoperative Hematoma or Hemorrhage – 5 incidents out of 1083 patients
- Medical Care-Associated Collapsed Lung – 2 incidents out of 6046 patients
- Postoperative Respiratory Failure – 6 incidents out of 551 patients
If you, or your loved one, were harmed or injured after being admitted to Presence St. Joseph Hospital in Elgin, your injuries might be the result of medical errors. Our seasoned medical malpractice attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers can help you obtain financial compensation while you hold those responsible for your injuries legally accountable. We accept these types of cases on contingency. This means we provide immediate legal representation, counsel and advice without you paying any upfront retainer or fee. We encourage you to call us today to schedule your free, no obligation initial consultation to discuss your case.