People Injured On The Property of Others
If you have been injured on someone else’s property, you may be entitled to recover financial damages to help with the payment of your medical bills and to offset your out of pocket expenses and lost wages during your physical recovery. Complete this online contact form for a free case evaluation and a premises liability lawyer will personally review your case without any cost or obligation.
Do You Have Grounds to Pursue a Premises Liability Lawsuit?
Simply put, premises liability is the legal responsibility of a property owner or manager to take reasonable steps to prevent injuries on the property. Whenever an accident occurs, it is critical to investigate whether the property owner either knew or should have known of the hazard that caused the injury or made sure that the property was constructed and maintained according to building codes and ordinances. Examples of Chicago personal injury cases that fall under the area of premises liability law include the following.
- Slip, trip and fall accidents. These types of accidents are the most common source of injury in the United States and may occur due to improperly maintained stairways, hallways or walkways. Owners are expected to keep these communal areas clean and ensure they are appropriately lighted so that people can see where they are walking and reasonable measures must be taken to keep sidewalks free of ice and debris.
- Presence of biohazards. Lead, mold, and carbon monoxide are several examples of toxic materials that may present a risk of harm to tenants and their guests. It is the responsibility of property owners to inspect their properties regularly to ensure that there are not any gas leaks and that furnaces, stoves, and smoke detectors are working correctly. It is also advisable that the smoke detectors used can detect carbon monoxide.
- Drowning accidents that are due to the failure of the property owner to keep the pool area secure and closed off from the public while unsupervised.
- Structural defects, such as poorly designed balconies. Property owners are required to repair and maintain their buildings so that residents or visitors are not subject to injury when a structure collapses.
Our Chicago premises liability lawyers regularly represent in claims and lawsuits involving incidents such as slip and fall accidents that occur at the home of friends or family members and understand that you may be hesitant to seek legal representation following an injury. While such a claim may appear to be awkward on paper, the reality is that property owner’s insurance policy covers the cost of compensating the victim for his or her injuries. In other words, the owner of the property rarely pays any claims or judgment out of his or her pocket.
We have experience negotiating settlements with the property owners’ insurance companies in the best interest of our clients related to all types of personal injury and wrongful death claims involving premises liability law. We believe that neither you nor your family should bear the cost of your medical treatment and other incidental expenses because somebody else failed to act responsibly. We will find a way to recover compensation on your behalf that is fair and covers the full cost of your recovery.
I’d like to compliment your office for the way that my case was handled. After working with you for more than a year, I developed a real sense of admiration for the skill and efforts you put into your cases. I always felt like you had my best interests at heart. I know there is no way I could have settled my case for anywhere near as much money without your help.
~ Cynthia S.
My attorneys were real fighters for me on my trip and fall case. Rosenfeld Law took control of my case and filed a lawsuit against the property management company. Through the duration of my case, the entire office was professional and courteous. In the end, I was thrilled with the money they got me.
~ Jacob M.
Why You May Need a Lawyer to Get a Full & Fair Recovery for Your Injuries in a Premises Liability Incident
To recover compensation for injuries sustained in a Chicago premises liability accident, you must establish that the negligence of a company or individual is responsible for your incident. In the case of premises liability lawsuits, merely getting injured at the home or business of another is not enough to obtain compensation from them.
Illinois tort law places the burden on the injured party when it comes to establishing that the negligence of the landowner caused an incident. Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC knows the laws applicable to premises liability cases and our staff understands what evidence needs to be gathered to win these cases. We regularly collect the following materials when prosecuting our Chicago premises liability accidents:
- Medical records and bills
- Incident reports
- Statements from witnesses to a crash
- Photos of the area where an incident took place
- Reports of engineers and architects
- Wage loss verifications from employers
- Narrative reports from treating physicians to establish the extent of the injury and disability
- Deeds and other documents to verify ownership or control of a property
Some of the above materials may seem unnecessary. However, when insurance carriers and lawyers defending a premises liability lawsuit act differently when aware that we have done the work on the premises liability interrogatories. When the defending parties know that we are ready to litigate a case, they tend to view the lawsuit more seriously towards a resolution of full value than if we were only to gather the bare basics. Our firm likes to think that our intensive case preparation will generate a more substantial and faster settlement for our clients.
What Compensation are you Entitled to in a Chicago Premises Liability or Slip & Fall Lawsuit?
Whenever we evaluate the value of a personal injury case, we consider the past and future expenses that you are likely to incur. We take into account your medical bills, the cost of rehabilitative therapy, any wages that you will lose during your time away from work, your pain and suffering and any other out of pocket expenses. Our access to architects, economists, and medical professionals helps us assess the value of your case more accurately. We can also connect you with the resources you need to receive the best medical care throughout your recovery.
To learn more about your legal options and rights following an injury, contact Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC right now to speak with one of our Chicago premises liability attorneys. Our consultations are completely free of charge, and we only collect a fee for our services after we have secured the compensation you are entitled to on your behalf.
Illinois premises liability regulations, news, and resources: