Chicago Premises Liability Lawyer
Under Illinois law, the owner of the premises is responsible for providing a safe environment for any people who have the right to be on or near their property. The Chicago premises liability attorneys of Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC represent the interests of anyone who has suffered personal harm due to the failure of a property owner to take reasonable steps to ensure that dangerous conditions are corrected.
People Injured on the Property of Others: The Basis For Illinois Premises Liability Law
If you have been injured on someone else's property, you may be entitled to recover financial compensation to help with your medical bills and to offset your out-of-pocket expenses and lost wages during your physical recovery. Complete our online contact form for a free consultation with a premises liability attorney in Illinois.
Do You Have Grounds to Pursue a Chicago Premises Liability Claim?
Simply put, premises liability is the legal responsibility of a property owner or manager to take reasonable steps to avoid hazards which in turn, prevent injuries on the property. Whenever an accident occurs, it is critical that premises liability lawyers investigate whether the property owner either knew or should have known of the hazard that caused the injury or made sure that the property was constructed and maintained according to building codes and ordinances. Examples of Chicago personal injury cases that fall under the area of premises liability law include the following:
- Slip, trip, and fall accidents, which are the most common source of premises liability claim in the United States and may occur due to improperly maintained stairways, hallways, or walkways. Owners are expected to keep these communal areas clean and ensure that they are appropriately lit so that people can see where they are walking. Sidewalks should be kept free of ice and debris to prevent serious injuries.
- The presence of biohazards such as lead, mold, and carbon monoxide that may present a risk of harm to tenants and their guests. It is the responsibility of property owners to inspect their properties regularly to ensure that there are no gas leaks and that furnaces, stoves, carbon monoxide detectors, and smoke detectors are working correctly. Some municipalities have passed laws that require landlords to correct these unsafe conditions in apartments.
- Drowning accidents that are due to the failure of the property owner to keep the pool area secure and closed off from the public while unsupervised.
- Structural defects, such as poorly designed balconies. Property owners are required to repair and maintain their buildings so that residents or visitors are not subject to injury due to a dangerous condition.
Our Chicago premises liability lawyers regularly represent people in claims and lawsuits involving incidents such as slip-and-fall accidents that occur at the homes of friends or family members, and we understand that you may be hesitant to seek legal representation following an injury. While such a claim may appear to be awkward on paper, the reality is that the negligent property owner's insurance policy covers the cost of compensating the victim for their injuries. In other words, the owner of the property rarely pays any claims or judgment out of their pocket.
We have experience negotiating settlements with property owners' insurance companies in the best interests of our clients related to all types of personal injury and wrongful death claims involving premises liability law. We believe that neither you nor your family should bear the cost of your medical treatment and other incidental expenses because somebody else failed to act responsibly. A liability attorney will find a way to recover compensation on your behalf that is fair and covers the full cost of your recovery.
Why You may Need a Premises Liability Injury Attorney in Chicago, IL
Illinois tort law places the burden on the injured party to establish that the negligence of the landowner caused an incident. Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC knows the laws applicable to premises liability cases, and our staff understands what evidence needs to be gathered to win these cases. We regularly collect the following materials when prosecuting cases involving Chicago premises liability accidents:
- Medical records and bills
- Incident reports
- Statements from witnesses
- Photos of the area where an incident took place
- Reports of engineers and architects
- Wage loss verifications from employers
- Narrative reports from treating physicians to establish the extent of the injury and disability
- Deeds and other documents to verify ownership or control of a property
Compensation for Personal Injury or Wrongful Death-Related to a Chicago Premises Liability or Slip and Fall Lawsuit
Whenever a property injury lawyer evaluates the value of a personal injury case, we consider the past and future expenses that you are likely to incur. We take into account your medical bills, the cost of rehabilitative therapy, any wages that you will lose during your time away from work, your pain and suffering, and any other out-of-pocket expenses. Our access to architects, economists, and medical professionals helps us assess the value of your case more accurately. A Chicago premises liability lawyer at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC will help you find the resources you need to receive the best medical care throughout your recovery.
Chicago Premises Liability Lawyers Committed to Your Case
To learn more about your legal options and rights following an injury, contact Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers right now to speak with a premises liability attorney in Chicago, Illinois. Our consultations are completely free of charge, and we only collect a fee for our services after we have secured the fair compensation you are entitled to on your behalf.
Illinois Premises Liability Regulations, News, and Resources
- Premises Liability Act
- Premises Liability Complaint
- Will County Apartment Lawsuit
- Unsecured Jobsite Lawsuit in Chicago, Illinois