Super Lawyers
Illinois State Bar Association
Justia Lawyer Rating
Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Avvo Rating
BBB Accredited Business

Illinois Premises Liability Accident FAQ's

Premises Liability FAQsRosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC represents people with injuries suffered in accidents occurring on another's property and other types of professional negligence. Our law firm has collected a series of premises liability accident FAQs related to the medical and legal aspects of an accident involving property liability accidents. Should you have additional questions, we invite you to contact our office for a free review of your legal rights.

Premises Liability Accident FAQs

The court system relies on the legal theory of premises liability when a property owner is responsible for an injury or accident that occurs on their property. This legal concept ensures that those hurt on another's premises will be held financially accountable. These individuals and entities can include property owners, property managers, landlords, lessees, or anyone in charge of maintaining, managing or operating the premises.

However, finding fault can be complicated. Because of that, many injured victims will hire the skills of a reputable personal injury attorney who specializes in accidents and events occurring on another's property. The premises liability attorneys aat Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers (888-424-5757) have compiled a comprehensive list of the most frequently asked questions below to assist injured victims in obtaining compensation and justice and posted the answers below.

What is Premises Liability?

The law encompassing premises liability involves various forms of injuries and accidents that could include slip and fall events, stairway accidents, stadium event injuries, deck and porch collapses, swimming pool accidents including drowning, and accidents that occur at schools and fitness centers and on escalators and elevators. Additionally, victims injured through violent crime on the property they do not own typically have a case for compensation based on premises liability law. These cases are founded on Illinois statute 740 IL CS 130 (The Premises Liability Act) that claims that an occupier or owner of a property has a legal duty to keep their premises reasonably safe by correcting defects and are legally responsible for warning visitors about the problem or correct the defect.

Do I Have a Premises Liability Claim?

Maybe you have a claim if you can prove that you were on another's property while visiting or by a lawful invitation or you were a business customer. If during your time on the property, you experienced injuries or damages caused by an accident or incident, then you might have the right to obtain monetary recovery through a premises liability claim. Your attorney will need to show the court that the property occupier or owner had a wanton, willful disregard for repairing the problem or failed to notify visitors that the defect existed. This proof can make a convincing case to recover financial compensation.

What do You Charge to Review my Case?

At Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, our premises liability attorneys all offer all potential clients a free, no-obligation consultation to discuss the merits of their case. Our legal team will evaluate the evidence and provide various legal options on how to proceed.

What Monetary Retainer is Required to Hire Your Law Firm?

Our attorneys accept every personal injury case, wrongful death lawsuit, and premises liability compensation claim through contingency fee agreements. These arrangements postpone the payment of all legal work until after we have successfully resolved your case. Also, our law office provides every client a “No Win/No-Fee” Guarantee, meaning if we are unable to win your case at trial or negotiate an acceptable out of court settlement, you owe us nothing.

What Happens if the Property Owner Claims that I was Trespassing?

If the property owner, manager or lessee can prove you were trespassing when you suffered your injury or damages, you might not be successful in resolving a compensation claim. However, if the supposed trespasser is a young child, those rules typically do not apply.

Should I File an Accident Report Where the Incident Occurred?

If the incident occurred on public property or government-owned property, it is crucial to fill out an accident/incident report and have it signed by a store employee, like a manager. If the establishment keeps the record, be sure to get a copy to get to your lawyer.

What Evidence Should I Obtain?

If there were any witnesses to the accident or event who saw what happened, be sure and obtain the names, addresses and phone numbers of everyone who can provide testimony. These witnesses might include store manager, store employees, customers, bystanders, passersby and others. Every eyewitness account that supports your case will strengthen your claim for compensation.

Additionally, consider taking photographs of the hazard that initiated the event that led to your damages and injuries. A picture can preserve the evidence and strengthen your premises liability negligence case. Photographic evidence is important because the property owner or manager will likely fix the hazard as quickly as possible.

What Happens if I Don't Realize Have Been Injured Immediately After the Accident?

Many individuals who suffer injuries from an accident occurring on another's property are not immediately aware that they were harmed. In some cases, the injuries associated with the accident or event including serious back problems, broken bones, brain concussion or other serious harm are not obvious until hours, days or weeks after the damage occurs.

Speaking to an attorney can be beneficial to resolving a financial compensation claim. Your lawyer can help secure evidence by obtaining video recordings of the event captured by store cameras or in public area or talk to eyewitnesses before they forget what happened. Your lawyer will build your case on solid evidence even if its obtained much later after the incident or event occurred.

What is the Best Way to Handle a Premises Liability Case?

Never provide a statement to anyone concerning the event that caused your injuries on another's property, including the insurance company or claims adjuster, before speaking to your attorney. You will be better able to prove your case with legal representation through the advice of your attorney who is interested in protecting your rights much more than a claims adjuster or store representative wanting to make the problem go away quickly at your expense.

What do I Need to Prove in Court?

Under the law, successfully resolving a premises liability case for damages or injuries requires you to prove that:

  • The defect existed on the property

  • The injuries you endured are linked directly to the defect

  • You are filing the claim for compensation against the owner or occupier of the property

  • The defendants in the case knew or should have known that the default existed and still failed to warn you or fix the problem.

However, even if you prove the four elements listed above, the property occupier or owner might still not be legally responsible for damages if one or more conditions below can be proven. These conditions include:

  • You knew the defect or hazard existed before the accident occurred

  • The problem was obvious to anyone taking notice of their surroundings

  • The property occupier or owner can prove they were unaware of the defect and that any other reasonable individual would not have known the defect existed

  • The owner or occupier can prove that you misused the premises and where the cause of the problem or defect

What Compensation Could I Receive in a Premises Liability Claim?

If your attorney can successfully resolve your premises liability claim you can expect to obtain financial compensation to pay for your current, past and future medical expenses, lost wages, loss of future earnings, disfigurement, disability, loss of consortium, loss of normal life, pain, suffering, mental anxiety and other non-tangible damages.

Who Pays the Compensation in a Premises Liability Case?

Usually, your attorney will begin the compensation process by submitting a claim to the property owner or occupier's insurance carrier. Your lawyer working on your behalf will construct a strong legal argument for monetary recovery and support the claim using solid evidence that proves your case. Nearly all cases are settled through a negotiated out of court settlement, meaning you will never need to file a lawsuit against the defendants or present your case at trial. However, there are cases where the insurance carrier offers a low settlement amount, necessitating the need to build a case for trial and file a lawsuit.

Is it Wise to Cash the Insurance Company's Compensation Check?

To ensure that you are receiving an appropriate amount of financial compensation to resolve your premises liability case, it is essential to consult with a reputable personal injury attorney before cashing the check or signing documents. If the insurance carrier convinces you to sign a waiver, settlement agreement or release, you are likely signing away your rights to seek additional funds if needed in the future.

Cashing the check usually means you agree that the funds they provide have settled your claim fully and finally. An attorney working on your behalf can evaluate the merits of your case and provide legal options to resolve your claim using their comprehensive negotiation skills. Typically, going it alone without an attorney results in insufficient monetary compensation to recover all your damages.

What if my Injuries Occurred at my Neighbor's or Friend's Home?

You might feel reluctant in filing a claim for compensation against your friend or neighbor if the accident that harmed you or your child occurred at their home. However, the property owner or occupier's insurance company pays for damages, not your neighbor or friend. An attorney working on your behalf can ensure that the case for compensation involves only the insurance company and not an individual you consider a friend or neighbor and want to protect.

What do I do if my Child was Hurt at School or on Campus?

Students, visitors, and faculty members can be victims of an accident or violent crime occurring on campus or at school. An attorney working on your behalf can file a claim for compensation building the case on the university or school's failure to elicit reasonable care to ensure that every victim was protected. However, filing a lawsuit or compensation claim against a private institution is significantly different than building a case against a public school or university. Your lawyer will know how to build the case against a government agency or private company to make sure you are compensated fully.

What if my Slip and Fall Injury Occurred by Tripping on a Broken City Sidewalk?

Even though governmental entities are considered immune to lawsuits, a reputable personal injury attorney who specializes in premises liability cases might be able to assist you in obtaining financial compensation for your damages.

Can I Hire Your Law Firm to Handle my Case?

If you were harmed or your loved one was killed while on someone else's premises, you are likely entitled to file a compensation case in a court of law. If you are ready to take the first legal step following your injuries from a premises liability accident, contact the Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers law offices today at (888) 424-5757. Speak with our law firm to schedule an appointment for a free, no-obligation case consultation. Our attorneys will review your case and provide numerous legal options to resolve your compensation claim successfully. Our law firm will handle every aspect of your case to its successful conclusion.

To ease your financial burden, we accept all wrongful death lawsuits, personal injury cases, and premises liability compensation claims through contingency arrangements. These agreements postpone your payment of all legal services until after we have successfully resolved your case by winning your lawsuit at trial or negotiating an acceptable out of court settlement on your behalf. If you have nothing to lose. With our “No Win/No-Fee” Guarantee, you pay our legal fees only if we can obtain the financial compensation your family deserves. All information you share with our law offices remain confidential.

For More Information

For more information about , please contact Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC today by calling 888-424-5757. Talk to a lawyer now. Free consultation.

Client Reviews
Jonathan Rosenfeld was professionally objective, timely, and knowledgeable. Also, his advice was extremely effective regarding my case. In addition, Jonathan was understanding and patient pertaining to any of my questions or concerns. I was very happy with the end result and I highly recommend Jonathan Rosenfeld. Michonne Proulx
Extremely impressed with this law firm. They took control of a bad motorcycle crash that left my uncle seriously injured. Without any guarantee of a financial recovery, they went out and hired accident investigators and engineers to help prove how the accident happened. I am grateful that they worked on a contingency fee basis as there was no way we could have paid for these services on our own. Ethan Armstrong
This lawyer really helped me get compensation for my motorcycle accident case. I know there is no way that I could have gotten anywhere near the amount that Mr. Rosenfeld was able to get to settle my case. Thank you. Daniel Kaim
Jonathan helped my family heal and get compensation after our child was suffered a life threatening injury at daycare. He was sympathetic and in constant contact with us letting us know all he knew every step of the way. We were so blessed to find Jonathan! Giulia
Jonathan did a great job helping my family navigate through a lengthy lawsuit involving my grandmother's death in a nursing home. Through every step of the case, Jonathan kept my family informed of the progression of the case. Although our case eventually settled at a mediation, I really was impressed at how well prepared Jonathan was to take the case to trial. Lisa