Post Traumatic Amnesia Lawyer
While post traumatic amnesia is a condition that is not familiar to many, it is a common occurrence by individuals that are victims of an accident, causing trauma to the injured victim. The condition often refers to a brief lapse in memory, where the victim is unable to recall any event prior to, or during, the accident and for some time immediately afterwards.
There are times when post traumatic amnesia (PTA) causes significant problems for the injured victim, when they are unable to remember key moments about the accident. Going to trial or settling out of court can become difficult when tackling of PTA case due to numerous factors including:
- Specific information regarding responsibility, cause and other factors regarding the accident is impossible or challenging to obtain
- Members of the jury might become suspicious of a victim in their effort to receive financial compensation, when they cannot remember the accident
PTA Causes & Effects
Even though the causes of PTA is not always directly indicative of brain damage, doctors and other health care providers should factor amnesia after a traumatic event into every aspect of their medical examination, treatments, procedures and monitoring.
Many times, there will be noticeable signs of brain injury when the victim displays a loss of cognitive abilities, memory recall issues, loss of sensation, motor function problems, visual and hearing symptoms, and more.
Through proper assessment, a medical professional can often determine whether the injured victim is suffering mild to severe TBI (traumatic brain injuries). Often times, medical doctors will ask the injured victim numerous questions, and make notations on their response. Some of these questions include:
- What is your full name?
- What is your address or the town where you live?
- What is the current time?
- What year is it?
- Do you understand how you arrived here in doctor's care?
- Do you know if you were driving an automobile involved in an accident?
- What is your first memory after your accident?
- What is the last memory you have before you sustained your injuries?
Typically, answering these basic questions provides enough information for the doctor to assess whether the injured victim is suffering from PTA. Often times, individuals with this condition are unable to remember what happened, and what they were doing just before, during and after the accident.
Other times, the victim experiences an outward display of emotional instability, challenges with thinking, concentration, memory, and mental acuity. They might also be easily distracted, or in a continuous state of disorientation, showing signs of obvious confusion in a temporal sense. In some incidences, victim suffering severe cases of PTA should be hospitalized throughout the entire duration of healing from the injury.
Recovery Rates For People With Post Traumatic Amnesia
The amount of time it takes to recover fully recover from a brain injury is often based on numerous factors. Recovery rates are usually dependent on:
- The age of the traumatic brain injured individual
- Any previous history of suffering brain damage
- Any family history involving mental health problems
- The detectable presence of a mental health problem in the injured individual
- The educational and intellectual capacity of the injured party
- History of alcohol and/or drug use
- History of smoking
- Whether the patient is currently taking prescription medications for depression
The amount of time it takes to fully recover from a mild to severe TBI can range from a few minutes to many months. The doctor should fully assess the victim at regular intervals, documenting any obvious signs of increased frequency of memory recall.
Holding Responsible Parties Accountable When Individuals Suffer Memory Impairment After An Accident
Individuals that suffer PTA caused by an accident or injury through the negligence of others need to seek out immediate legal counsel. Quickly hiring an experienced attorney that handles PTA injuries case is essential, to allow the lawyer enough time to gather pertinent information concerning the accident/incident before evidence is lost.
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC specialize in post traumatic amnesia injury cases, and work on the behalf of clients seeking financial compensation from the responsible parties. The skilled attorneys can develop a strong case based on available evidence, interviews with witnesses, police reports and other documents. The lawyer can direct the injured party to the best medical care for monitoring their condition as they heal.
Call the Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC at (888) 424-5757 for a no-obligation, initial assessment of your PTA claim. The law firm can help you obtain financial recompense for your medical bills, lost wages from missed work, and other expenses to ensure that you receive the maximum amount that you are entitled under the law.