There are 27 nursing homes located in the Peoria area and while some provide excellent care and treat residents with respect, others are understaffed, improperly managed or provide a subpar environment to the ones who we love. The Peoria nursing home abuse attorneys of Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers strive to help our clients by taking on nursing homes that fail to provide the respectful treatment our elderly deserve and helping them move their loved ones into facilities that will best suit their needs. If your loved one is the victim of neglect or abuse, we will fight on your behalf to hold the negligent facility accountable.
How to Make an Educated Nursing Home Decision
In recent years, an epidemic of nursing home neglect and abuse cases has swept the nation as more facilities are operated by for-profit corporations that do not place the needs of residents first as they should. It can be nerve-wracking to do your due diligence about each nursing facility you are considering for your loved one only to constantly wonder whether you are about to make the right choice. Some homes are clearly better than others, so how can you tell which one will provide the quality of care worthy of your loved one?
Fortunately, there are means by which you can learn whether a facility has complaints or violations logged against its staff. The most effective tool is the nursing home compare tool found on medicare.gov, which allows you to review all of the homes in the Peoria area with ratings and explanations that include violations and complaints against each facility. For example, the Rosewood Care Center of Peoria has earned a five star rating, which means your loved one is far more likely to receive quality care than at a one star rated facility such as Heartland of Peoria.
Signs that Your Loved One is a Victim of Abuse in a Peoria Nursing Facility
Noticing the symptoms of abuse quickly will ensure that you can remove your loved one from an unhealthy environment before his or her condition deteriorates even further. Each case of abuse or neglect may be unique as some cases are the result of abuse on part of an individual while others are related to staff levels, training or policy. Whenever you visit your loved one, make sure you are aware of the following signs that something may be wrong.
- Your loved one has developed bed sores or existing sores have worsened. This is a sign that the staff is either not paying enough attention, stretched too thin to provide adequate care to all residents or unwilling to move your loved one every several hours to prevent the further development of these sores.
- You notice unexplained bruises or marks on your loved one’s body. If these marks are on your loved one’s wrists or ankles, he or she may have been restrained and injuries to the genital areas can indicate sexual abuse.
- Your loved one experiences drastic changes in mood or behavior, including bouts of depression and outbursts of anger. He or she may not tell you about the abuse out of shame and the change in behavior may be a psychological cry for help or an indication that the abuse has taken an emotional toll.
- Your loved one becomes quiet suddenly in the presence of a caregiver. This is a sign that the caregiver may be the abuser and your loved one is afraid of repercussions should he or she say something about the abuse in the caregiver’s presence.
A Peoria Nursing Home Negligence Law Firm Fighting for Better Treatment of the Elderly
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers is appalled at the disregard many nursing facilities and caregivers have for our elderly and it is our mission to invoke change by seeking the maximum penalty against negligent nursing homes. We have successfully recovered compensation on behalf of thousands of clients so that they could afford treatment for their injuries and to move into facilities that provide the type of care they truly deserve. If you suspect that your loved one is the victim of abuse or neglect in a Peoria skilled nursing facility, contact us so that we can investigate the matter and advise you on your legal options and so that your loved one can be removed from a harmful situation into safety.
Our Peoria nursing home abuse lawyers will review and investigate your case for free and let you know what you can expect if you choose to pursue a lawsuit. We work completely on a contingency basis, which allows us to represent clients regardless of their financial condition by not requiring a fee until we have recovered compensation on their behalf. If we cannot secure damages on your behalf, our services will be free of charge.
Learn more about specific Peoria nursing homes by visiting the pages below:
- Rosewood Care Center of East Peoria
- The Lutheran Home
- Apostolic Christian Sylines
- Heddington Oaks
- Sharon Health Care Willows
- Cornerstone Rehab & Health Center
- Heights Health Care & Rehab Center
- Protor Com Hospital Skilled Nursing Center
- Heritage Health Chillicothe
- Sharon Health Care Woods
- Apostolic Christian Home of Eureka
- Highland Oaks
- Manorcare of Elgin
- Sherman West Court