Passavant Area Hospital is a 131-certified-bed ‘not for profit’ Hospital providing services to residents of Jacksonville and Morgan County, Illinois. The Facility is located at:
1600 West Walnut
Jacksonville, IL 62650
In addition to providing emergency care to the local community, Passavant Area Hospital also offers other services that include:
- Ambulatory surgery
- Cardiac services
- Laboratory testing
- Transitional care
- Wound care
- Orthopedic services
- Oncology care
- OB/GYN services
- Inpatient dialysis
- X-ray/radiology imaging
- Behavioral health services
- Audiology clinic services
- Weight loss
- Radiation oncology
- Support groups
- Specialty clinic
When comparing this facility to other medical centers and hospitals throughout the US, Passavant Area Hospital maintains an overall “C+” score, ranking it in the 32nd percentile. The calculated ranking was determined through publicly available data that includes patient flow, discharge patient length of stay, admitted patient length of stay, overall patient satisfaction, and reported complications. Lower scores might indicate a high percentage of medical malpractice/mistakes and errors occurring at the facility.
The emergency department at the hospital or medical centers is crucial to the local community. Analytics MD gathers information involving ER rooms nationwide and makes the information available through ranking percentiles to be used as a comparison against all other facilities. Currently, the percentile ranking for Passavant Area Hospital includes:
- Incoming Patient Flow (19th percentile) – This low rank reveals the inefficiency of how the medical team initially evaluates the patient’s condition when they first arrive at the emergency room.
- Discharged Patient Flow (10th percentile) – This low rank reveals the inefficiency of how the medical team provides treatment to less sick patients who will be discharged from the emergency room.
- Admitted Patient Flow (18th percentile) – This low rank reveals the inefficiency of how the medical team provides treatment to sicker patients who will be admitted to the hospital from the emergency department.
- Frustrated Patients (52nd percentile) – This rank reveals the level of frustration that patients feel when leaving the emergency department after they receive care.
- Overall Patient Satisfaction (47th percentile) – This rank reveals the overall patient experience after receiving cares in any department in the hospital.
Passavant Area Hospital currently holds three state designations that include:
- Emergency Department Approved for Pediatrics (EDAP)
- Perinatal II
- Magnet Recognition
Bloodstream Infection Rate and Patient Safety Concerns
The Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) monitors facility-acquired bloodstream infections involving Methicillin--resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) and Clostridium difficile infection (CDI). This information is provided through laboratory test results obtained from patients who have been at the facility for four days or longer.
In addition, the IDPH monitors patient safety measurements involving adverse events and in-hospital complications that occur after procedures and surgeries. This data is collected by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) and posted through a Report Card methodology. The bloodstream infection rate and patient safety concerns for all of 2015 involving Passavant Area Hospital include:
- Clostridium Difficile Infection (CDI) Facility-Acquired Incident Rate – 3 infection incidents out of 9700 patient days. The IDPH determined that this infection rate was not “significantly better or worse than the state average."
- Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA) Facility-Acquired Incident Rate – 0 infection incidents out of 10555 patient days.
- Foreign Bodies Left in the Patient during Procedures – 1 incident.
- Postoperative Clotting (Deep Vein Thrombosis) or Lung Embolism Rate – 1.8 per 1000 patients or 1 incident out of 579 patients, which is significantly lower than the Illinois state average of 5.62 per 1000 patients.
- Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate – 4.73 per 1000 patients or one incident out of 343 patients. This risk-adjusted rate is significantly lower than the Illinois state average of 8.04 per 1000 patients.
- Postoperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma Rate – 13.1 per 1000 patients are four incidents out of 560 patients. This risk-adjusted rate is significantly higher (nearly 3 times as high) as the Illinois state average of 4.46 per 1000 patients. The IDPH determined that this rate is “statistically significantly worse than the state average.”
There is always a certain number of patients who will be readmitted to the facility after being discharged due to an unexpected medical condition complication or a failure to make an easy transition back to the family’s home or into a nursing facility. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services collects this information and makes it publicly available on their Hospital Compare website. Between 07/01/2012 and 06/30/2015, the readmission rate for this facility included:
- Pneumonia Patients – 15.9 percent
- Heart Failure Patients – 22.1 percent
Jacksonville Illinois Medical Malpractice Lawyers
If you suspect that your loved one was injured or died unexpectedly while a patient at Passavant Area Hospital, contact Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC. Our skilled Jacksonville attorneys can work on your family’s behalf to successfully resolve your financial recompense claim against all those who caused your loved one’s harm. We can file and successfully resolve your claim against the hospital, medical center, doctors, nursing staff, or other patients/residents in the appropriate courthouse at:
P.O. Box 1120
Jacksonville, Illinois 62650
Circuit Court Clerk Amy Sipes
Call our Morgan County Medical Malpractice law firm now at (888) 424-5757 to schedule your free comprehensive, no-obligation case consultation with our attorneys. No upfront payment is necessary because our law firm accepts every medical malpractice claim and wrongful death lawsuit through contingency fee agreements.