Illinois Nursing Home Statistics
Here is some helpful information regarding nursing homes that you may need for your case:
- Illinois has over 1,000 nursing homes and long-term care facilities.
- Over 100,000 people reside in nursing homes across the state.
- Nursing homes are regulated by the Illinois Department of Public Health and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Health Care Financing Administration (HCFA).
- Agencies regulating nursing homes receive tens of thousands of potential complaints every year.
- For a listing of Illinois nursing homes, click here: (https://ltc.dph.illinois.gov/webapp/LTCApp/ltc.jsp)
- For a listing of all nursing home violations, click here: (http://www.idph.state.il.us/about/nursing_home_violations/quarterlyreports.htm)
Over the last twenty years (since roughly 1995):
- There have been 253 nursing home cases in Illinois.
- Only 10 of them recovered more than $5 million, or roughly 4%.
- 44 of them recovered nothing at all, or roughly 17%.
- 56 of them recovered something under $100,000, or roughly 22%.
- 117 of them recovered something between $100,000 and $1,000,000, or roughly 46%.
- 26 of them recovered something between $1,000,000 and $5,000,000, or roughly 10%.
- The most popular counties for litigation included Cook (almost 50% of cases), Madison (nearly 10% of cases), Kane (nearly 10% of cases), and DuPage (about 5% of cases).