Northwestern Memorial Hospital is an 894-bed hospital providing care and services to the residents and visitors of Cook County, Illinois. The facility is located at:
251 E Huron St.
Chicago, IL 60611
The local hospital provides diverse services to the community that include:
- Emergency medical care
- Cancer care
- Vascular and heart care
- Pain management
- Surgical services
- Infusion services
- Women's health
- Palliative care
- Wound care
- Hospitalist services
- Digestive health
- Primary care
- Imaging including CT scans, MRIs, ultrasounds and x-rays
- Occupational health
- Laboratory services
Illinois State Designations
Currently, Northwestern Memorial Hospital maintains the following designations:
- Perinatal III
- Trauma Center Level I
- Comprehensive Stroke Center
- Magnet Recognition
- Emergency Department Approved for Pediatrics
Both the State of Illinois and the federal government routinely monitor every medical center and hospital statewide to identify safety concerns involving patient health quickly. According to data supplied by the hospital to the Illinois Department of Health and other agencies, Northwestern Memorial Hospital reported the following medical errors that may be of concern to patients and their families.
- Level III Neonatal ICU (2016) with two reported infections over 2081 central-line days
- Adult Neurosurgical ICU (2016) with one reported infections over 2087 central-line days
- Adult Surgical Cardiothoracic ICU (2016) with seven reported infections over 3113 central-line days
- Adult Medical Cardiac ICU (2016) with four reported infections over 2382 central-line days
- Adult Surgical ICU (2016) with four reported infections over 2034 central-line days
- Adult Medical ICU (2016) with three reported infections over 4861 central-line days
Surgical Site Infections Associated with Total Knee Replacement Surgery (7/1/10 to 6/30/11) with four reported infections from 705 procedures
Healthcare Facility Onset Incident Rate of MRSA (2016) with seven reported infection cases of Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus over 267,091 patient days
Healthcare Facility Onset Incident Rate of CDI (2016) with 184 reported infections of highly contagious Clostridium difficile over 222,582 patient days
- Foreign Body Left During Procedure (10/1/10 to 9/30/11) 2 reported incidents
- Postoperative Lung Embolism or Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT clotting) (2015) 167 out of 11,229 patients. According to the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH), this statistic is significantly worse in the state average.
- Accidental Puncture and Laceration (2015) 54 out of 30,046 patients
- Iatrogenic Pneumothorax (healthcare-associated collapsed lung for 2015) 22 out of 28,173 patients. According to the IDPH, this statistic is significantly worse than the state average.
- Postoperative Respiratory Failure (2015) 69 out of 6266 patients
- Postoperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma (2015) 84 out of 10,364 patients. According to the IDPH, this statistic is significantly worse than the state average.
- Pneumonia Patients Admitted to the Hospital within 30 days (between July 1, 2013, and June 30, 2016) – 17.1% of all patients treated at the facility for pneumonia were readmitted to the facility 30 days after departure for retreatment. This statistical percentage is slightly higher than the national average (16.9%) and Illinois average (17.37%).
- Pneumonia 30 Day Mortality Rate (between July 1, 2013, and June 30, 2016) – 11.7 % of all patients treated for pneumonia at the facility died within 30 days. This statistical rate is substantially lower than the national average (15.9%) in Illinois average (15.98%).
- Heart Failure Patients Readmitted to the Facility within 30 Days (between July 1, 2013, and June 30, 2016) – 21.0 % of all patients treated for heart failure were readmitted to the facility within 30 days after discharge. This statistical rate is slightly lower than the national average (21.6%) an Illinois average (21.78%).
- Heart Failure 30 Day Mortality Rate (between July 1, 2013, and June 30, 2016) – 6.2% of all patients treated for heart failure at the facility died within 30 days. This statistical rate is nearly half the national average (11.9%) and Illinois average (11.67%).
- Hip Fracture-Associated Risk-Adjusted Mortality Rate for 2015 – 2 patients out of 126 died because of a hip fracture. This statistical risk-adjusted rate of 15.41 per 1000 patients is substantially lower than the Illinois average of 24.98 per 1000.
- Heart Attack Deaths Risk-Adjusted Mortality Rate for 2015 – 9 of 330 patients died of heart attacks at the facility. This risk-adjusted rate of 26.81 per 1000 patients is substantially lower than the Illinois average of 37.24 per 1000.
- Stroke-Associated Risk-Adjusted Mortality Rate for 2015 – 33 of 674 patients died of a stroke at the hospital. This risk-adjusted rate of 33.21 per 1000 patients is nearly double the Illinois average of 61.56 per 1000 patients.
Maternal Safety and Utilization
- Obstetric Trauma – Vaginal with Instrument (2015) 148 out of 683 patients. According to the IDPH, this statistic is significantly worse than the state average.
- Birth Trauma (2015) 29 of 11,573 patients
- Obstetric Trauma – Vaginal Delivery without Instrument (2015) 114 of 7965 patients
Chicago, Illinois Medical Malpractice Lawyers
If you suffered serious harm or injury while you were a patient at Northwestern Memorial Hospital, your injuries might be the result of medical negligence. The Medical Malpractice Attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC provide legal assistance to patients who have suffered injuries by mistakes in all medical settings.
Contact our attorneys today to schedule a free, no-obligation case consultation to discuss the merits of your compensation claim. Our legal team accepts all personal injury case, wrongful death lawsuit, and medical malpractice claim through contingency fee agreements. This arrangement postpones the payment of legal services until after we have successfully resolved your case through a jury trial or negotiated an out of court settlement. All information you share with our law office remains confidential.