NorthShore University Highland Park Hospital Medical Malpractice Lawyers
NorthShore University Health System Highland Park Hospital is a 139-bed “not for profit” medical center providing services and cares for residents of Highland Park and Lake County, Illinois. The facility is located at:
777 Park Avenue West
Highland Park, IL 60035
Along with providing emergency medical care to the local community, the facility also offers numerous services that include:
- Mammography services
- Laboratory services
- Music therapy
- communication language services
Illinois State Designations
NorthShore University Highland Park Hospital maintains four specific state designations that include:
- Perinatal II – The hospital is part of the Illinois Regionalized Perinatal System that was first developed for childbearing women to improve their perinatal outcome during labor and delivery. The level II facility provides a pregnant woman and her newborn a high level of care, especially those at risk for medical complications. The facility does not offer a neonatal intensive care nursery or special care unit.
- Emergency Department Approved for Pediatrics (EDAP) – The Illinois Department of Public Health and the Emergency Services for Children Program recognize this hospital for its services and care because it provides essential resources to children who are injured or seriously ill and those who require critical or emergency care. The hospital is facilitated by medical professionals who have received special training in critical and emergent pediatric care.
- Magnet Recognition – The American Nurses Association, through their subsidiary the American Nurses Credentialing Center developed the Magnet Recognition Program as a driving force to improve the quality of care provided to patients and a way to provide excellent using established nursing practices.
- Trauma Center Level II – As a Level II trauma center, the Northshore University Highland Park Hospital’s Medical Director serves as the facility’s Trauma Surgeon to provide emergency medicine, subspecialty surgical care, intensive care, radiology and anesthesiology services.
Surgical Site and Bloodstream Infections
The Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) monitors the infection rates at all hospitals statewide. Surgical Site Infections are often associated with Coronary Artery Bypass Graft (CABG) surgery and total knee replacement surgeries. Bloodstream infections often involve Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) and Clostridium difficile infections (CDI).
This data is usually obtained through laboratory results on patients who have been at the facility for four days or longer. The state uses this information to determine if these infection rates are statistically lower or higher than the national average. The infection rates involving Northshore University Health System Highland Park Hospital for 2015 include:
- Total Knee Replacement Surgery Involving Surgical Site Infections – 2 infections out of 128 procedures.
- Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery Involving Surgical Site Infections – 2 infections out of 81 procedures.
- Facility-Acquired Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus Incident Rates – 3 contagious bloodstream infections out of 40,950 Patient Days.
- Facility-Acquired Clostridium Difficile Infection Incident Rates – 26 contagious infections out of 37769 Patient Days.
Patient Safety Concerns
The Illinois Department of Public Health reviews hospital discharge information to measure the potential adverse events and in-hospital complications after procedures and surgeries. This information involving risk adjustment rate is gathered by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ). The following patient safety concerns at Northshore University Health System Highland Park Hospital for all of 2015 include:
- Incidents of Foreign Bodies Left in the Patient during Procedures – 1 incident.
- Postoperative Deep Vein Thrombosis (Clotting) or Lung Embolism Rate – This facility had a risk-adjusted rate of 9.41 per 1000 or 12 incidents out of 1456 patients. This rate is nearly double the Illinois state average of 5.62 per 1000 patients.
- Accidental Laceration and Puncture Rate – This facility had a risk-adjusted rate of 0.43 per 1000 or two incidents out of 5657 patients. This rate is approximately one-third the Illinois state average of 1.45 per 1000 patients.
- Medical Care-Associated Collapsed Lung Incident Rate – This facility had a risk-adjusted rate of 0.43 per 1000 or two incidents out of 5235 patients. This rate is nearly double the Illinois state average of 0.28 per thousand patients.
- Postoperative Respiratory Failure Rate – This hospital had a risk-adjusted rate of 8.49 per 1000 or 4 incidents out of 616 patients. The rate is nearly identical to the Illinois state average of 8.04 per 1000 patients.
- Postoperative Hematoma or Hemorrhage Rate – This hospital had a risk-adjusted rate of 2.61 per 1000 or 4 incidents out of 1342 patients. The rate was nearly half of the Illinois state average of 4.46 per 1000 patients.
Highland Park Illinois Medical Malpractice Lawyers
If your loved one has suffered harm or died prematurely from a medical mistake while a patient at NorthShore University Highland Park Hospital, Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC can help. Our qualified Highland Park personal injury attorneys represent victims with cases that involve medical malpractice. Our attorneys can ensure that all the necessary documentation is filed in the appropriate court. In Lake County, that courthouse contact information includes:
18 N. County St.
Waukegan, IL 60085
Circuit Court Clerk Erin Cartwright Weinstein
We encourage you to contact our Lake County medical malpractice law office today by calling (888) 424-5757. Speak with one of our representatives to schedule your no-obligation, comprehensive case evaluation. We accept every medical mistake compensation claim through contingency fee arrangements. Our fees are paid only once we have negotiated an out of court settlement on your behalf or have successfully resolved your recompense case in a court of law.
For more information about , please contact Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC today by calling 888-424-5757. Talk to a lawyer now. Free consultation.