Approximately 1220 long-term care facilities operate throughout Illinois, providing care and services to over 100,000 nursing residents, including the young, disabled, rehabilitating, and elderly.
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and the Illinois Department of Public Health ensure that every facility is licensed, regulated, and inspected yearly.
However, over 250 (20%) provide substandard care (one star out of five) compared to all other nursing care homes nationwide.
Among Illinois’ worst nursing homes, CMS will not rank 46 Illinois nursing centers because of the significant ongoing problems involving negligence and abuse, instead classifying them as a Special Focus Facility (SFF).
Our attorneys have reviewed the data from the IDPH inspections and have determined the ‘worst nursing homes in Illinois’ for your review.
Do you suspect that your loved one’s caregiving facility is among Illinois nursing home violators putting residents in harm’s way? The Chicago-based personal injury attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, LLC are legal advocates representing patients injured by the negligence or abusive behavior of others in nursing care homes.
Contact our nursing home abuse lawyers at (888) 424-5757 (toll-free phone number) or use the contact form to schedule a free consultation.
All confidential or sensitive information you share with our legal team remains private through an attorney-client relationship.
The Medicare Nursing Home Compare Tool
The CMS nursing home compare tool identifies potential nursing home problems, including quality measures, staffing levels, and health inspections. The tool is available on the Medicare.gov website , allowing people to compare up to three nursing care homes simultaneously.
The information can be helpful for individuals looking for a nursing home for a loved one or concerned about the quality of care in a particular home.
The federal government regularly updates the compare tool data with information from state agencies’ inspections. Individuals can use the tool to read overviews of each nursing home, learn about the quality of health care provided, and see how the home fares compared to others.
The compare tool is essential for individuals looking for a nursing home or wanting to ensure their loved one receives high-quality care. Using the tool, individuals can make informed decisions about which home is best for their needs.
CMS Designates Each of the Following Facilities With a Persistent Record of Substandard Care
The following list contains Illinois’s 46 SFF nursing homes, followed by the number of months CMS has chosen not to provide any rating due to substandard care:
|Special Focus Facility (SFF)||Months as an SFF|
|Accordius Health At Statesville||3|
|Advanced Healthcare Center||9|
|Aperion Care Chicago Heights||2|
|Allis Care Center||14|
|Bishop Rehabilitation And Nursing Center||5|
|Blue Ash Care Center||7|
|Dycora Transitional Health – Fresno||6|
|Envoy of Williamsburg||13|
|Evergreen Crossing And The Lofts||8|
|Garden Villa Nursing Home And Rehabilitation||7|
|Generations At Rock Island||26|
|Grandview Rehabilitation And Healthcare Center||1|
|Ivy At Great Falls||3|
|Kingston Rehabilitation And Nursing Center||4|
|La Mariposa Care And Rehabilitation Center||68|
|Liberty Health and Wellness||4|
|Life Care Center of Bountiful||10|
|Life Care Center of Post Falls||3|
|Maples Nursing Home||11|
|Moorhead Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center||35|
|Orchard Hospital D/P SNF||3|
|Orchard Post Acute Care||2|
|Parkview Post-Acute And Rehabilitation Center||8|
|Pleasant Hills Community Living Center||15|
|Polaris Rehabilitation And Care Center||10|
|Quincy Healthcare Winterset North||20|
|Regency Healthcare and Rehab Center||1|
|Riverside Nursing and Rehabilitation Center||13|
|Shady Rest Care Center||6|
|St Francis of Bellingham||6|
|Summit’s Trace Healthcare Center||9|
|The Citadel Salisbury||21|
|The Grand Rehabilitation And Nursing At Barnwell||5|
|The Laurels of Walden Park||3|
|The Medical Resort At Woodlands||14|
|The Springs of Barrow||17|
|The Villa At Parkridge||10|
|The Villages of Lapeer Nursing and Rehabilitation||21|
|The Waters of Robertson||30|
|University East Rehabilitation Center||17|
|Victory Health and Rehabilitation Center||29|
|Westpark A Waters Community||2|
The following list contains 217 Illinois nursing care centers with one out of five stars overall ratings, ranking them among the lowest in providing quality care nationwide:
- Accolade Healthcare Center of East Peoria
- Accolade Healthcare Center of Paxton on Pells
- Accolade Healthcare Danville
- Accolade Healthcare of Peoria
- Accolade Healthcare of Pontiac
- Alden Estates Courts of Huntley
- Aledo Rehab and Health Care Center
- Allure of Stockton Nursing Home
- Aperion Care Bradley Nursing Home
- Aperion Care Bridgeport Nursing Home
- Aperion Care Capitol Nursing Home
- Aperion Care Dekalb Nursing Home
- Aperion Care Dolton Nursing Home
- Aperion Care Elgin Nursing Home
- Aperion Care Forest Park Nursing Home
- Aperion Care Glenwood Nursing Home
- Aperion Care Hillside Nursing Home
- Aperion Care International Nursing Home
- Aperion Care Lakeshore Nursing Home
- Aperion Care Morton Villa Nursing Home
- Aperion Care Niles Nursing Home
- Aperion Care Oak Lawn Nursing Home
- Aperion Care Peoria Heights Nursing Home
- Aperion Care Spring Valley Nursing Home
- Aperion Care West Ridge Nursing Home
- Aperion Care Westchester Nursing Home
- Arcadia Care Auburn Nursing Home
- Arcadia Care Clifton Nursing Home
- Arcadia Care Danville Nursing Home
- Arcadia Care Jacksonville Nursing Home
- Arcadia Care Morris Nursing Home
- Arista Healthcare Nursing Home
- Austin Oasis Nursing Home
- Autumn Meadows of Cahokia Nursing Home
- Avantara Evergreen Park Nursing Home
- Beacon Care and Rehabilitation
- Belhaven Nursing and Rehab Center
- Bement Health Care Center
- Benton Rehab and Health Care Center
- Berkeley Nursing and Rehab Center
- Bloomington Rehabilitation and Health Care Center
- Bria of Belleville Nursing Home
- Bria of Mascoutah Nursing Home
- Briar Place Nursing Nursing Home
- Bridge Care Suites Nursing Home
- Bridgeview Health Care Center
- Bridgeway Senior Living Nursing Home
- Burbank Rehabilitation Center
- Carlinville Rehab and Health Care Center
- Carlyle Healthcare and Senior Living
- Casey Healthcare Center
- Caseyville Nursing and Rehab Center
- Champaign Urbana Nursing and Rehab
- Charleston Rehab and Health Care Center
- Chicago Ridge Skilled Nursing Facility
- City View Multicare Center
- Collinsville Rehab and Health Care Center
- Community Care Center
- Cornerstone Rehab and Healthcare
- Countryview Care Center – Macomb
- Crestwood Rehabilitation Center
- Crestwood Terrace Nursing Home
- Crossroads Care Center Woodstock
- Decatur Rehab and Health Care Court
- Doctors Nursing and Rehab Center
- Eastview Terrace Nursing Home
- Edwardsville Nursing and Rehab Center
- Effingham Rehab and HealthCenter
- Elevate Care Chicago North Nursing Home
- Elevate Care Country Club Hill Nursing Home
- Elevate Care Niles Nursing Home
- Elevate Care Waukegan Nursing Home
- Elmwood Nursing and Rehab Center
- Elmwood Terrace Healthcare Center
- Estates of Hyde Park Nursing Home
- Fair Havens Senior Living
- Fair Oaks Rehab and Healthcare
- Flanagan Rehabilitation and Health Care Center
- Forest City Rehab and Nursing Center
- Friendship Manor Health Care
- Friendship Village-Schaumburg Nursing Home
- Gardenview Manor Nursing Home
- Generations at Applewood Nursing Home
- Generations at Elmwood Park Nursing Home
- Granite Nursing and Rehabilitation
- Grove at the Lake Nursing Home
- Grove of Berwyn Nursing Home
- Grove of Elmhurst Nursing Home
- Grove of Fox Valley Nursing Home
- Grove of St Charles Nursing Home
- Hallmark Healthcare of Pekin Nursing Home
- Havana Health Care Center
- Heartland Senior Living Nursing Home
- Helia Healthcare of Belleville
- Helia Healthcare of Energy
- Helia Southbelt Healthcare
- Heritage Health – Beardstown
- Heritage Health – Hoopeston
- Heritage Health – Jacksonville
- Heritage Health – Mount Zion
- Heritage Health – Springfield
- Hickory Village Nursing and Rehab
- Highland Health Care Center
- Hillsboro Rehab and Health Care Center
- Hilltop Skilled Nursing and Rehab
- Hope Creek Nursing and Rehab
- Illini Heritage Rehab and Healthcare
- Imboden Creek Senior Living
- Integrity Healthcare Center of Alton
- Integrity Healthcare Center of Belleville
- Integrity Healthcare Center of Carbondale
- Integrity Healthcare Center of Columbia
- Integrity Healthcare Center of Smithton
- Jacksonville Skilled Nursing and Rehab
- Kensington Place Nursing and Rehab
- Lakefront Nursing and Rehab Center
- Lakeview Rehab and Nursing Center
- Landmark of Des Plaines Rehab
- Lebanon Care Center Nursing Home
- Lena Living Center Nursing Home
- Lincoln Village Healthcare
- Little Village Nursing and Rehab Center
- Loft Rehab and Nursing of Normal
- Loft Rehab of Decatur
- Loft Rehab of Rock Springs
- Loft Rehabilitation and Nursing
- Mado Healthcare – Uptown Nursing Home
- Manor Court of Carbondale Nursing Home
- Manor Court of Clinton Nursing Home
- Manor Court of Maryville Nursing Home
- Manor Court of Peoria Nursing Home
- Mason Point Nursing Home
- Mayfield Care and Rehab Nursing Home
- Meadowbrook Manor – Naperville
- Michaelsen Health Center
- New Athens Home for the Aged Nursing Home
- Newman Rehab and Health Care Center
- Nokomis Rehab and Health Care Center
- Oak Park Oasis Nursing Home
- Palm Terrace of Mattoon Nursing Home
- Palos Heights Rehabilitation Nursing Home
- Parc Joliet Nursing Home
- Paris Health and Rehab Center
- Park Place of Belvidere Nursing Home
- Park Pointe Healthcare and Rehab
- Paul House and Health Care Center
- Pearl of Hillside Nursing Home
- Pearl of Joliet Nursing Home
- Pearl Pavilion Nursing Home
- Pekin Manor Nursing Home
- Peterson Park Health Care Center
- Pine Crest Health Care
- Piper City Rehab and Living Center
- Pleasant Meadows Senior Living Nursing Home
- Pleasant View Rehab and Health Care Center
- Prairie City Rehab and Health Care Center
- Prairie Oasis Nursing Home
- Prairie Rose Health Care Center
- Randolph County Care Center
- Richland Nursing and Rehab Nursing Home
- River Crossing of Alton Nursing Home
- River Crossing of East Peoria Nursing Home
- River Crossing of Edwardsville Nursing Home
- River Crossing of Joliet Nursing Home
- River Crossing of Peoria Nursing Home
- River Crossing of Rockford Nursing Home
- Robings Manor Rehabilitation Health Care Center
- Rochelle Gardens Care Center
- Rochelle Rehab and Health Care Center
- Rock River Gardens Nursing Home
- Rock River Health Care Nursing Home
- Royal Oaks Care Center Nursing Home
- Saline Care Nursing and Rehab
- Sharon Health Care Elms
- Sharon Health Care Pines
- Sharon Health Care Willows
- Shawnee Senior Living Nursing Home
- Sheridan Village Nursing and Rehab
- South Suburban Rehab Center
- Southgate Health Care Center
- Southpoint Nursing and Rehab Center
- St Anthony’s Nursing and Rehab Center
- Stearns Nursing and Rehab Center
- Stephenson Nursing Center
- Sullivan Rehab and Health Care are Center
- Sunny Acres Nursing Home
- Sunset Home Nursing Home
- Sunset Rehabilitation and Health Care
- Swansea Rehab Health Care
- Symphony at Midway Nursing Home
- Symphony of Bronzeville Nursing Home
- Symphony of Chicago West Nursing Home
- Symphony of South Shore Nursing Home
- Symphony Palos Park Nursing Home
- Taylorville Care Center Nursing Home
- Taylorville Skilled Nursing and Rehab
- Timbercreek Rehab and Healthcare Center
- Toulon Rehab and Health Care Center
- Tower Hill Healthcare Center
- Tri-State Village Nursing and Rehab
- Twin Lakes Rehab and Health Care
- University Nursing and Rehab Center
- Vandalia Rehab and Health Care Center
- Villa at South Holland Nursing Home
- Villa at Windsor Park Nursing Home
- Warren Barr Gold Coast Nursing Home
- Warren Barr Lieberman Nursing Home
- Warren Barr North Shore Nursing Home
- Warren Barr South Loop Nursing Home
- Washington Senior Living Nursing Home
- Waterfront Terrace
- Watseka Rehab and Health Care Center
- Westmont Manor Health and Rehab
- Westside Rehab and Care Center
- White Hall Nursing and Rehab Center
- Willow Rose Rehab and Health
- Woodbridge Nursing Pavilion Nursing Home
Worst Nursing Homes in Illinois per the Special Focus Facility (SFF) Program
Medicare and Medicaid funding is vital to the long-term care continuum, providing financial assistance and regulatory oversight to short-term and long-term care homes.
A recent change in the regulations governing how these funds can be used has led to increased scrutiny of so-called SFFs, nursing facilities the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services identified as high risk for nursing home abuse and neglect.
The SFF program was created in 1998 in response to reports of widespread poor care, neglect, and abuse in nursing facilities nationwide.
The program provides extra scrutiny and support to nursing homes deemed at high risk for mistreatment or neglect to improve conditions and protect nursing residents’ safety.
There are currently over 400 SFFs nationwide, accounting for about 10% of all nursing facilities, including the 46 nursing home facilities in Illinois.
While the program has successfully identified and corrected problem facilities, it has criticized some quarters for being too punitive and not doing enough to help struggling nursing home care homes.
Regardless of these criticisms, the program remains a vital tool in the fight against negligence and abusive behavior.
By providing extra scrutiny and support to high-risk facilities, the program helps ensure that patients receive the highest care possible.
Caregivers’ Responsibilities To Nursing Home Residents
The duty of a caregiver to a nursing home resident is to ensure their safety and well-being. This includes providing adequate care, treatment, and assistance.
When caregivers fail to provide these basic needs, the patients can suffer from neglect.
Nursing home neglect can have serious consequences, including physical injuries, psychological damage, and even death.
It is important for caregivers to be aware of the signs of neglect and to take appropriate action if they suspect that it is happening.
Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
Common signs of nursing home abuse and neglect include
- Nurses and nursing aides failing to follow the resident’s care plan: Not following doctor’s orders based on residents’ assessments can lead to declining health, medical conditions, infections, and death.
- Ignoring calls for help or not responding promptly often results in patients being left in pain or seriously ill.
- Allowing patients to go without food or drink for extended periods of time could cause dehydration and malnutrition.
- Failing to provide the necessary medication could result in serious health complications.
- Not changing bedding often enough might lead to skin irritation and infection.
- Not bathing or regularly grooming patients causes skin irritation, odor, and infection.
- Allowing pests or rodents into the facility results in bites or scratches, which can become infected.
- Not providing proper lifting equipment can lead to a preventable fall resulting in a broken bone, contusion, or head injury.
- Not cleaning up spills could cause the resident to slip and fall.
- Failing to monitor patients adequately could lead to the development of bedsores and other injuries.
- Physically or sexually assaulting patients is the most egregious form of abusive behavior.
The Illinois Nursing Home Care Act
The Illinois Nursing Home Care Act was enacted in 1987 and sets forth specific regulations that nursing homes must follow to provide care for their patients.
The law protects nursing home patients receiving health care, hygiene assistance, and medical treatment, including standards for a resident’s care plan, rights, infection control, staffing levels, and quality of care.
The Illinois Department of Public Health enforces Illinois law and conducts annual inspections of nursing homes to ensure that they comply with all regulations.
If a nursing facility violates the law, it may be penalized, including fines and the revocation or suspension of its license.
Nursing care center patients have the right to receive high-quality care that meets their individual needs. The Act sets forth specific regulations for nursing homes to provide this care.
Hire a Personal Injury Attorney to Hold the Nursing Home and Staff Financially Accountable
Do you suspect that your loved one’s facility-acquired injuries result from substandard health care caused by the negligent actions of the nursing staff? The personal injury attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, LLC can take immediate legal action against those responsible for negligence or abuse.
Our legal team excepts all personal injury cases and wrongful death lawsuits through a contingency fee agreement. This arrangement ensures you will pay no upfront fees until our attorneys resolve your claim through a negotiated settlement or jury award.
Contact our elder abuse attorneys today at (888) 424-5757 (toll-free phone number) or use the contact form to schedule a free consultation.
All confidential or sensitive information you share with our legal team remains private through an attorney-client relationship.
Resources:  Medicare.gov