A very simple pharmacy error resulted in the death of a boy after he received the wrong medication and experienced severe complications. The child received the same medication to treat his sleeping disorder for a year and a half before taking the medicine with the wrong ingredients and dying in his sleep. A blood screening after his death revealed that not only was the medication prepared wrongly, but the dose of the incorrect medicine was lethal. There was no shadow of a doubt that the pharmacist’s error cost the child his life, begging a discussion over what forms of oversight are needed to prevent this type of incident in the future.
Death Caused by Compounding Error
The medication the child was taking for his sleep disorder needed to be prepared by his pharmacy as an oral suspension. For a year and a half, his family had been filling their prescriptions at the same place, so what seemed absolutely routine ended in tragedy simply because the person preparing the suspension reached for the wrong ingredient.