A forty-year-old army veteran died in Asheville, NC mere days after he and his family moved into a new home from a lethal medication error.While the hospital responsible for his care admitted to the mistake, it refuses to bear any responsibility for the actions that led to his unnecessary and preventable passing. He was admitted to the VA Medical Center for the treatment of an infection and was given four times the ordered dosage of a narcotic for pain control on two different occasions. The results were cardiac arrest and his subsequent death.
Jason Powell Was a Career Military Man
The Powells had just moved to Asheville after Jason received terminal leave in July of 2012. He had served the army for more than twenty years and had just celebrated his retirement. Coming down with symptoms of what he thought was a common flu, he was admitted to the VA Medical Center when he realized something wasn’t right.