One of the most overlooked causes of auto accidents is the condition of the road, and you may be able to recover compensation if poor road maintenance or a defective design contributed to your accident. The Chicago auto accident attorneys of Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC leave no stone unturned when reviewing avenues where our clients can recover the maximum amount of financial compensation allowed under state law after they have been injured in an accident. By investigating the conditions of the road at the time of your accident, we can increase your monetary recovery or help clear you of fault if you lost control of your vehicle due to a defective or poorly designed road.
Forms of Road Maintenance Negligence
It is the responsibility of local and state governments to make sure that roads are safe for traveling motorists when a poor road design or maintenance causes catastrophic injuries. From unrepaired potholes and uneven driving surfaces to the lack of adequate signage and traffic control devices or the presence of road debris, road conditions can contribute to or cause serious accidents.
Below is a list of some of the most common causes of vehicle accidents caused by poor maintenance practices or road design.
- Lack of traffic control devices at busy intersections or the failure to replace signs that have fallen due to adverse weather or previous accidents.
- Inadequate road drainage design that leads to the flooding of the road.
- Traffic light malfunctions or failures.
- Improper road markings or the failure to replace faded or missing lane markings.
- Bridges that are poorly designed or maintained. This can include conditions that lead to the collapse of the bridge or accidents that occur on the bridge due to poor surface conditions.
- Failure to maintain street lamps. Darkened roadways can reduce visibility and increase the risk of an accident during night time or wet conditions.
What You Need to Know About Lawsuits against Governments
State and local governments are immune to many forms of lawsuits, but there are some instances where claims may be brought against the government accused of acting negligently. In the case of negligent road design and maintenance, it may be possible to bring a case against the government entity responsible for maintaining the road where your accident occurred. Our Chicago auto accident attorneys have many years of experience handling these types of cases. Our knowledge of applicable laws ensures that our clients have the best possible chance of a successful financial recovery.
If your attorney can prove that road conditions were the cause of your accident or contributed to the severity of your injuries, it may be possible to recover compensation from the government entity that is responsible for maintaining the roads. This monetary recompense is in addition to any compensation you might receive from insurance companies. This is why it is important to establish the exact cause of your accident and all contributing factors.
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC have handled thousands of cases just like yours and we are so confident in our ability to help you that our services come at no charge unless we recover damages on your behalf. To learn more about your legal options and how we can help you, contact us today to arrange a free consultation with one of our highly qualified Chicago auto accident attorneys.