One of the most overlooked causes of auto accidents is the condition of the road, and you may be able to recover compensation if poor road maintenance or design contributed to your accident. The Chicago auto accident attorneys of Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers leave no stone unturned when reviewing avenues by which our clients can recover the maximum amount of compensation allowed under state law after they have been injured. By investigating the conditions of the road at the time of your accident, we can increase your recovery or help clear you of fault if you lost control of your vehicle due to a defective or poorly designed road.Forms of Road Maintenance Negligence
It is the responsibility of local and state governments to make sure that roads are safe for motorists to travel and poor road design or maintenance can result in catastrophic injuries. From unrepaired potholes and uneven driving surfaces to the lack of adequate signage or traffic control devices or the presence of road debris, road conditions can contribute to or cause serious accidents. Following are some of the most common causes of automotive accidents due to poor maintenance practices or road design.
- Lack of traffic control devices at busy intersections or the failure to replace signs that have fallen due to adverse weather or previous accidents.
- Inadequate road drainage measures which lead to the flooding of the road.
- Traffic light malfunctions or failures.
- Improper road markings or the failure to replace faded or missing lane markings.
- Bridges that are poorly designed or maintained. This can include conditions that lead to the collapse of the bridge or accidents that occur on the bridge due to poor surface conditions.
- Failure to maintain streetlamps. Darkened roadways can reduce visibility and increase the risk of an accident during nighttime or wet conditions.
State and local governments are immune to many forms of lawsuits, but there are some instances where claims may be brought against the government accused of acting negligently. In the case of negligent road design and maintenance, it may be possible to bring a case against the government responsible for maintaining the roadway your accident occurred on. Our Chicago auto accident attorneys have many years of experience handling these types of cases and our knowledge of applicable laws ensures that our clients have the greatest chance of a successful financial recovery.
If you are able to prove that road conditions were the cause of your accident or contributed to the severity of your injuries, it may be possible to recover compensation from the government responsible for maintaining the roads in addition to any compensation you might receive from the insurance companies. This is why it is important to always establish the exact cause of your accident and all contributing factors.
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers has handled thousands of cases just like yours and we are so confident in our ability to help you that our services come at no charge unless we recover damages on your behalf. To learn more about your legal options and how we can help you, contact us today to arrange a free consultation with one of our highly qualified Chicago auto accident attorneys.