Chicago Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Have You or a Loved one Been Involved in a Motorcycle Crash in Illinois?
Thousands of motorcycle crashes occur in the Chicago area every year, and if you have found your way to this web page, you or a family member were probably involved in one.
You have likely sustained personal injuries and want to claim damages from the responsible party.
Do You Have Serious Injuries After a Chicago Motorcycle Accident?
Motorcycle accidents are more dangerous than the average motor vehicle accident and will usually result in injuries that are comparatively more serious. Not only are your medical expenses likely to be higher, but your physical pain will also be greater.
This warrants comprehensive financial compensation. You might have already been offered a settlement, but can you be sure you are getting the full value owed to you under Illinois law?
Hire a Chicago Motorcycle Accident Attorney
You need an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer who can give you a clear idea of what your case is truly worth, and can fight on your behalf while you focus on recovery.
Our attorneys offer a free case evaluation, and 24/7 availability for the duration of your case. Even better – we won’t charge you a penny until we secure your settlement.
Benefit From Our Experienced Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC has years of experience securing the most favorable recovery for injured motorcyclists. Over the past several years, our Chicago motorcycle accident lawyers have won millions of dollars in settlements for motorcyclists with catastrophic injuries in the Chicago area.
From the time we are retained through to case resolution, we pledge to do everything possible to demonstrate that the driver of the vehicle that hit you was negligent, and that your serious injuries are causally related to the incident.
We know how these cases go, and have represented people just like you in motorcycle crashes involving speeding, dangerous lane changes, illegal turns, drunk driving, texting while driving, and general driver negligence.
Our clients’ motorcycle accident injuries have ranged in severity, from broken bones and road rash, to traumatic brain injuries, disfigurement, amputation of limbs, and spinal cord injuries. We also have experience pursuing motorcycle crashes involving fatal injuries for families under the Illinois Wrongful Death Act.
Beyond physical injuries, we also understand that bike accidents can cause psychological injuries resulting including PTSD and depression.
No matter the cause and consequences of your case, hiring one of our experienced Chicago motorcycle accident attorneys means you can take legal action with the confidence that the full value of your case will be fairly argued.
We Have a History of Successful Settlements for Injured Motorcyclists
What to Expect When Filing an Illinois Motorcycle Accident Claim
Pursuing your personal injury claim can be a daunting process. When you hire one of our experienced motorcycle accident attorneys, you can act confidently, knowing that you have someone on your side to give your case a winning chance.
You can expect your claim to go through the following process:
- Free consultation: A personal injury attorney will meet with you to discuss your accident and any settlement you may have already been offered. If you wish to retain our office to represent you, you will sign a contract for legal representation.
- Presentation of damage package: Your lawyer will investigate your case to determine the true value of your injuries and the amount of compensation that you may be entitled to. In addition to submitting police reports and medical records, we may also submit reports from treating physicians regarding the severity of your injuries. When it comes to submitting a settlement demand, this will include economic and non-economic damages for the cost of past and future medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Using this information, we will present a demand package to the defendant’s insurance company.
- Settlement offer: We will assess the settlement offer from the insurance adjusters or defense lawyers based on the demand package and advise you on a way forward.
- Lawsuit: If our lawyer deems the offer insufficient or unfair, we will file a lawsuit on your behalf and undertake the necessary procedures to see you to a fair settlement or to see the case presented to a judge or jury.
Testimonials from Motorcycle Riders Just Like You
As a long-time biker, I’ve been in a few accidents. I’ve never worked with a law firm that resolved a case as quickly or handled matters as professionally as Rosenfeld Injury law.
No complaints around here. Jonathan Rosenfeld is an approachable guy who knows his stuff. I contacted the office on a weekend and received a return call very quickly. Within days, the firm had done a lot of work on my case and had things moving along.
I was presented with an offer within a few months of retaining these attorneys. I was impressed to say the least and have since referred a number of friends who ride to Mr Rosenfeld for his services.
Our Process1. Documentation
From the time we are retained in a case, we begin collecting relevant records on your case such as medical records, medical bills and information about insurance coverage.
This frequently means medical reports from treating doctors documenting the extent of your injuries and prognosis.
We are committed to getting this information for you so that you can focus on your physical and emotional recovery.2. Investigation
Our law firm begins an investigation into the circumstances related to your case as soon as feasible.
This typically means obtaining police reports, investigative documents and photographs of the scene of the incident.
This may also entail getting statements from witnesses and others who have knowledge of the facts related to your case.
After we have an understanding as to how your accident occurred and your injuries, we will approach the insurance company for the individual or company who caused the accident and attempt to negotiate a full and fair settlement.
If we cannot secure a settlement, our trial attorneys will get a lawsuit on file and get your case prepared for court.4. Settlement
Over 95% of our cases get resolved prior to trial. Many of our cases get resolved during the course of litigation or during a mediation.
Whenever your case gets settled, your lawyer will give you a complete accounting for all legal fees and expenses showing you exactly how much money you will recover.
We provide you full transparency so you are fully aware of the settlement figures.
FAQs From Motorcycle Accident Victims
How Long do I Have to File an Illinois Motorcycle Accident Lawsuit?
You have two years. In Illinois, the statute of limitations for personal injury cases is two years from the time that your cause of action arose. In most cases, the cause of action arises at the time of your accident since that is when you were injured. However, in certain limited circumstances, the statute of limitations begins to run from the time that you knew or should have known that you were injured.
Will My Chicago Motorcycle Case Settle?
Most Chicago motorcycle injury cases will settle out of court. Trials are expensive and uncertain, and an insurance company runs the risk that a jury would be sympathetic to your case, leaving the company on the hook for a large damages award. However, an initial settlement offer is likely to be less than your case is worth in court. Since your lawyer has done this many times before, they will know what your claim is worth and will be able to advise you whether the settlement offer makes sense for you. If so, we can draft a settlement agreement that sets forth the terms of the agreement.
Can I Recover Damages if I Wasn’t Wearing a Helmet?
Yes. Illinois is one of three U.S. states that does not have motorcycle helmet laws, which means you still have a case even if you were not wearing a helmet when your accident occurred. However, this does not mean you do not hold some fault in the accident (which will affect your settlement).
What if the Driver who Hit Me Didn't Have Insurance?
If you are involved in an accident with a negligent driver who did not have liability insurance or who left the scene of the accident, you may file an uninsured motorist claim with your own insurance. In these situations, our attorneys will file a claim with your own insurance carrier for your damages.
What are the Rights of an Injured Motorcycle Passenger?
Passengers injured in motorcycle accidents are rarely the cause of the accident, and may claim damages for their injuries from the driver of the motorbike, another vehicle involved, or both. A passenger may also claim damages from the motorcycle manufacturer if the accident was caused by defective parts.
Your Motorcycle Accident Case in Context
Having a wider understanding of motorcycle accident cases in Chicago may help you better prepare for legal action and give you a clearer idea of what to expect.
We have put together some helpful details and statistics from the Illinois Department of Transportation and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration so that you know the basic context of your case.
- If you have been in a motorcycle accident in Illinois, there is an approximately two-thirds chance that you will be injured. Further, if you are injured there is a 35% chance that it will be an “A injury”, which prevents the injured person from walking, driving, or normally continuing the activities he/she was capable of performing before the injury occurred.
- In Cook County, Illinois nine in ten motorcycle accident cases settle before they go to trial. Insurance companies do not want to take your case all the way to trial because they know it will probably result in your favor. The at-fault driver's insurance representative will offer you a figure that will likely not be for the full amount that your case is worth. They are banking on the fact that you may take their first offer, thereby saving them money.
- Negotiating with an insurance company is difficult for anyone because the company has better knowledge than you, since this is what they do every day. Therefore, you need an attorney on your side to help neutralize your natural disadvantage in this area.
What You Need to do to Prove Your Case
If you are taking legal action after a motorcycle crash, you need to prove that you have a case. Persuading a jury that a negligent driver actually caused your injuries requires that you prove four different things:
- The other driver owed you a duty of care. In general, this is an easy element to prove because all drivers owe a duty of care to everyone else on the road.
- The driver breached this duty of care. While a driver is not held to a standard of absolute perfection when they are on the road, they must act as a reasonable driver would. This means that they cannot do things such as speeding or make illegal turns, because an ordinary reasonable driver would not do such things.
- You must have suffered some sort of injury.
- Your injury would not have happened if not for the actions of the other driver.
Contact Our Top-Rated Chicago Motorcycle Accident Lawyers for the Best Chance of Maximum Compensation
For serious motorcycle accidents, you need the best attorneys working on your behalf to secure the maximum compensation you are entitled to.
When you work with Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, you can be assured that you are getting the extensive experience of a law firm that has successfully represented motorcyclists from across Illinois in severe injury claims.
Amid the Covid-19 pandemic, we can safely arrange a video conference and send you electronic documents so we can begin working on your case immediately.