Chicago Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
If you're in a motorcycle accident, it can be difficult to know what to do. Motorcycle accidents often result in serious injuries. The insurance companies representing the car and truck drivers responsible may settle quickly or deny responsibility.
Were you injured in a motorcycle accident? If so, it is important to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, LLC, as soon as possible.
Our accident lawyers in Chicago have years of experience representing injured motorcyclists and their families. Our law group works tirelessly to get you the compensation you deserve.
Our personal injury attorneys offer a free case evaluation and 24/7 availability for your case. Even better – our lawyers won't charge you a penny until we secure your settlement. Contact our legal team today at (888) 424-5757 (toll-free phone number) to schedule a free legal consultation.
Have You or a Loved One Been Involved in a Motorcycle Crash in Chicago, Illinois?
Motorcycle accidents are a major cause of injury and wrongful death. If you are injured in one, you may be entitled to compensation from the negligent driver for your injuries, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
It can take years to resolve a motorcycle accident claim through litigation, even if the other driver is at fault.
While this system often works well for people who have suffered minor injuries, it isn't always so simple when someone has been seriously hurt or killed due to another person's negligence.
The auto insurance company might pay damages if its policyholder is at fault. However, that insurer might offer less than what you need to cover all your losses after a motorcycle accident caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver (or hit-and-run).
Do You Have Serious Motorcycle Injuries?
Motorcycle collisions are more dangerous than the average motor vehicle accident. These Chicago motorcycle/auto accidents usually result in comparatively more serious injuries.
Not only are your medical bills likely to be higher, but your physical pain will also be greater with motorcycle wrecks. It warrants comprehensive financial compensation.
Perhaps you have already been offered a settlement from a driver's insurance company. But can you be sure you are getting the total value owed?
Benefit from Our Extensive Experience Handling Illinois Motorcycle Accident Claims
Our accident lawyers in Chicago have years of experience securing the most favorable recovery for injured motorcyclists across Illinois.
Over the past several years, our Chicago accident lawyers have won millions of dollars in settlements for injured motorcycle accident victims with catastrophic injuries in the Chicago area.
From the time our motorcycle accident injury lawyers are retained through to case resolution, we pledge to do everything possible to demonstrate that the driver of the vehicle that hit you was negligent and that your injuries are causally related to the incident.
While most of our Chicago motorcycle injury cases settle out of court, we never leave anything to chance.
We assemble the evidence needed to support the liability and damages aspects of your case, so we are indeed prepared for war-- even if your case gets resolved peacefully.
In most motorcycle injury claims, this means:
- Gathering liability evidence: Your personal injury lawyer will request police reports from the investigating department and photograph the scene and damage to your bike. If there are witnesses, we will try to locate them and secure recorded statements from them about the crash. In severe motorcycle wrecks, we may retain a motorcycle and auto accident investigator who can prepare a report about how the collision occurred based on his examination of crash data.
- Medical damages: Given that many of our clients suffer severe injuries (such as a traumatic brain injury), we try to shoulder some of their burdens by ordering all their medical records and medical bills related to their care. It usually means ambulance records, hospital charts, surgical reports, physical therapy records, and pharmacy receipts. We may also get written statements from treating doctors to address the nature and extent of injuries. Frequently these reports also address the pain and suffering our clients have endured following the crash and are likely to experience in the future.
- Property damage: Many motorcycles are a significant investment. When a bike is damaged in a crash, we try to recover the full value of the bike. It includes any customization or aftermarket work done.
- Lost wages: When a motorcycle accident prevents a motorcyclist from working for a short or extended period of time, we make a wage loss claim as part of our settlement demand to ensure they are made whole by recovering compensation for lost wages.
By securing the above evidence, we are better positioned to get you the full and fair compensation that you are entitled to under Illinois law for both economic and non-economic damages.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Most motorcycle accidents occur when someone isn't paying close attention to the road, traffic, and conditions. We know how these cases go and have represented motorcyclists just like you in Illinois crashes involving:
- Speeding car drivers
- Dangerous lane changes
- Illegal turns
- Blindspot lane change
- Drunk or drugged driving
- Texting while driving
- Driver fatigue
Our clients' motorcycle crash injuries have ranged in severity, from broken bones and road rash to traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, disfigurement, amputations, neck injuries, medical malpractice, and spinal cord injuries.
Beyond physical injuries, we also understand that Chicago motorcycle accidents can cause psychological damage resulting in post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and depression.
We have also had the honor of being the Chicago, IL law firm where families of deceased motorcyclists turn to pursue wrongful death claims on behalf of their loved ones.
Particularly in these cases, we appreciate the significance of their loss and do everything feasible to ensure the value of the case is maximized to the fullest extent of Illinois law.
No matter the cause and consequences of your case, hiring an experienced Chicago motorcycle accident attorney means you can take legal action with the confidence that the full value of your lawsuit will be fairly argued. Contact us for a free consultation.
Disturbing Statistics About Motorcycle Accidents in Chicago, Illinois
Some sobering statistics regarding motorcycle accident crash data from the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) reveal that there were 308 motorcycle riders injured in a crash in the city of Chicago in 2018 (the most recent year of data).
A closer inspection of the data suggests 11 bikers died in fatal motorcycle crashes, and 106 biker accident injuries involved significant 'type A' injuries, preventing them from pursuing aspects of their life that they enjoyed before the crash.
On a statewide basis, in 2018, there were 2,703 reported motorcycle collisions. There were 1,899 people reporting injuries, and 118 lost their lives in these fatal crashes.
If you were injured or a loved one was killed in one of the statistics above, contact our law firms for a consultation call regarding your options for pursuing a claim against the negligent parties.
We Have a History of Successful Settlements
Our experienced motorcycle accident lawyers are pleased to be the law firm many motorcycle riders look to following an accident.
We appreciate the confidence placed upon our experienced motorcycle injury lawyers and the responsibility we accept to resolve your claim. Each Chicago motorcycle accident attorney is deeply committed to getting the compensation to which each person is entitled, given their circumstance.
Below are some motorcycle accident settlements that our law firms have handled. Please review them with the understanding that each case is unique, and past results are not a guarantee of results in your case.
- $7,000,000: Policy limit recovery for bikers hit by a company truck.
- $5,250,000: Recovery for a 44-year-old motorcycle rider hit by an elderly driver.
- $3,500,000: Mediation settlement for a man struck by a car making a left turn.
- $1,250,000: Personal injury lawsuit compensation awarded to a passenger on a motorcycle who was thrown off the bike due to a sudden stop.
- $1,000,000: Wrongful death claim settlement awarded to the wife of a deceased motorcyclist.
- $570,000: Recovery via insurance claim against the at-fault driver and an under-insured motorist claim.
- $350,000: Knee injury settlement for a man who needed orthopedic surgery
What to Expect When Filing an Illinois Motorcycle Accident Claim
Pursuing your personal injury claim can be a daunting process. When you hire an experienced motorcycle accident attorney from Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, you can act confidently, knowing that you have someone on your side to give your case the best chance to recover compensation from the other driver.
You can expect your personal injury claim to go through the following process:
- Free consultation: A Chicago motorcycle accident injury attorney will meet with you to discuss your accident and any settlement you may have already been offered.
- Presentation of damage package: Your lawyer will investigate your motorcycle accident case to determine the extent of your injuries and how the other driver's negligence resulted in a motorcycle/car accident. Our insurance correspondence includes documentation related to the cost of past and future medical bills, medical records, lost earnings, and pain and suffering. Using this information, we will present a demand package to the defendant's insurance company.
- Settlement offer: Your accident lawyer will assess the settlement offer based on the demand package and advise you on the way forward.
- Personal injury lawsuit: If our accident lawyer deems the insurance company's offer is insufficient or unfair regarding your accident injuries, we will file a personal injury lawsuit on your behalf and undertake the necessary procedures to see you to a fair settlement or to see the motorcycle accident case presented to a judge or jury.
While the above is a general overview of the motorcycle/car accident claims process, each case with unique insurance coverage usually takes on a life of its own.
We welcome you to call or meet with our office to determine if we are a good fit for working together on your case. Every motorcycle accident attorney from our law group looks forward to meeting you to discuss your case further.
Facts About Chicago Motorcycle Accident Cases
A more comprehensive understanding of motorcycle collision cases in Chicago may help you better prepare for legal action and give you a clearer idea of what to expect.
We have put together some helpful details and statistics about motorcycle accident cases.
Have you been in a motorcycle crash in Illinois? If so, there is an approximately two-thirds chance that you will be injured.
Further, if you are injured, there is a 35% chance that it will be an "A-type injury" that prevents the injured person from walking, driving, or normally continuing the activities they were capable of performing before the injury occurred.
In Cook County, nine in ten motorcycle crash cases settle before they go to trial. Insurance companies do not want to take your case to trial because they know it will probably result in your favor.
Making a Low-Ball Offer
The at-fault driver's insurance representative will offer you a figure that will likely not be for the full amount your case is worth. They are banking on the fact that you may take their first offer, thereby saving them money.
Negotiating with an insurance company is difficult because the company has better knowledge than you since this is what they do daily. Therefore, you need an attorney to help neutralize your natural disadvantage in this area.
You will directly communicate with your Chicago motorcycle accident attorney during the preventable death claims handling process.
We firmly believe in keeping the lines of communication open so you can call or email as questions arise, and situations develop.
Rest assured that while we may be your motorcycle accident attorneys, you decide how your case will be resolved, and we provide immediate legal representation.
Our Commitment to Motorcycle Accident Victims
Our personal injury attorneys are mindful that most people involved in Chicago motorcycle accidents suffer serious injuries. We appreciate that these injuries may impact their immediate and long-term lives.
Consequently, when we are retained in a case, your motorcycle accident attorney begins gathering the information needed to provide you with the best chance of a successful recovery via settlement or trial.
Our personal injury lawyers are an established firm and have the resources necessary to build your case and stand toe-to-toe with the insurance companies involved.
In many cases, our Chicago motorcycle accident lawyers secured the following evidence:
- Liability Evidence: Establishing liability in a motorcycle crash case means more than ordering a police report. We regularly go to the motorcycle/car accident scene and photograph the scene of the collision, the vehicles involved, and any markings on the roadway. When there are witnesses to a crash, we may get recorded statements from them to record how the wreck occurred.
- Medical Evidence: Our office orders all your medical records and medical bills related to your injuries. Our paralegals secure each bill from each medical provider to accurately record your medical expenses. We may also get written reports from your treating physicians to address commonly raised issues, including causation, nature, the extent of your injuries, and permanency.
- Wage-Loss Evidence: When an incident results in short-term or long-term disability which prevents you from working, your accident lawyer will present a wage loss component to your claim. If your motorcycle accident injuries render you permanently disabled, we may retain a vocational expert to address your prospect of working in a profession that can accommodate your physical limitations.
Call us to schedule a free consultation and let an experienced Chicago motorcycle accident lawyer start preparing a strong case for you.
FAQs From Motorcycle Accident Victims
Below are some frequently asked questions motorcycle riders encounter after a crash. We appreciate that you may face many issues in the wake of a motorcycle accident and that these questions may only be a starting point.
Consequently, we welcome any person injured in a collision (or their family members) to contact our Chicago motorcycle accident attorneys for a free consultation.
Will My Chicago Motorcycle Case Settle Out-of-Court?
Most Chicago motorcycle injury cases will settle out of court. Trials are expensive and uncertain, and an insurance company risks a jury would be sympathetic to your case, leaving the company on the hook for a significant damages award.
However, an initial settlement offer is likely to be less than your case is worth when a personal injury lawsuit is filed.
Since your personal injury attorney has done this many times before, they will know what your claim is worth and will be able to advise you whether the settlement offer makes sense for you or if they may be able to get you more money by taking your case to trial.
Who is at Fault in Motorcycle Accidents When Motorcyclists Weren't Wearing Helmets?
According to Illinois motorcycle laws, all riders under 18 must wear a DOT-approved helmet when operating or riding a motorcycle.
Further, anyone involved in a motorcycle accident and not wearing a helmet at the time of the crash may have their damages reduced by up to 20 percent. This logic assumed that had the rider been wearing a helmet, they would have suffered less serious injuries in fatal motorcycle accidents.
While these motorcycle helmet laws might seem unfair, it is in place to incentivize motorcycle riders to wear helmets and to protect themselves from potentially life-threatening injuries.
Even so, many families file wrongful death suits after a fatal motor vehicle/motorcycle accident, even when the decedent was not wearing a helmet or other protective gear.
What If the Driver in a Motorcycle Accident Didn't Have Insurance?
If the driver who caused a motorcycle accident did not have insurance, all victims might still be able to recover damages through their own uninsured motorist (UM) coverage. Uninsured motorcycle coverage is optional in Illinois, but every rider should consider purchasing insurance.
Even if you do not have UM coverage, you might still be able to bring a claim against the driver directly. In this instance, a Chicago motorcycle accident lawyer can advise you of your best options.
What Are the Legal Rights of an Injured Motorcycle Passenger?
According to Illinois law, all motorcycle passengers have the same legal rights as motorcyclists, meaning that if you are injured while riding as a passenger, you can hold any driver or biker liable for your injuries.
Who Can File Wrongful Death Claims in a Fatal Motorcycle Accident?
Like all personal injury cases involving wrongful death, there are specific rules about who can file a claim after a fatal motorcycle accident.
In Illinois, the personal representative of the decedent's estate has the right to file a wrongful death case on behalf of all surviving beneficiaries. This might be the spouse, children, or parents of the victim.
If you have lost a loved one in a motorcycle collision, a reputable Chicago motorcycle accident law firm can help you understand your legal rights and options moving forward.
Contact an Experienced Chicago Motorcycle Accident Attorney for the Best Chance of Maximum Compensation
For severe motorcycle/car accidents, you need the best Chicago motorcycle accident attorneys working on your behalf to secure the maximum compensation you are entitled to for your huge medical bills.
When you work with Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, LLC, you can be assured that you are getting the experience of a law office that has successfully represented bikers from across the state of Illinois on a contingency fee basis.
Were you involved in a motorcycle accident caused by someone else? Call an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer at (888) 424-5757 (toll-free phone number) or use the contact form today for immediate legal advice. Schedule a free consultation to discuss your personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit.
All confidential or sensitive information you share with our motorcycle accident attorneys remains private through an attorney-client relationship.
- Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
- Motorcycle Accident Injuries
- Hit and Run Motorcycle Accidents in Chicago, IL
- How to Get an Illinois Motorcycle License
- Motorcycle Helmet Laws by State
- Chicago Moped Accident Lawyers
- Average Motorcycle Accident Settlement
- Motorcycle Accident FAQ’s
- Motorcycle Crash Statistics
- Injured Passengers
- Rear-End Motorcycle Accident
- Motorcycle Road Rash
- Motorcycle Leg Injuries
- Brain Injuries from Motorcycle Accident
- Electric Scooter Accidents
- Motorcycle Insurance Laws by State
- Fatal Motorcycle Accident Chicago