Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers represents motorcyclists injured in accidents throughout Illinois. With little protection from the force of an impact, bikers and their passengers may sustain life changing injuries including: brain injuries, spinal cord injury, broken bones, amputated limbs and lacerations (road rash).
Our attorneys are familiar with the nature of motorcycle accident injuries and work hard to secure the maximum compensation that Illinois allows. In most motorcycle crash cases, we seek damages for:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical care: both immediately following a crash and likely needed in the future
- Lost wages
- Damage to your bike
Hurdles Encountered in Illinois Motorcycle Accident Cases
Motorcyclists routinely get blamed for accidents that they did not cause. As attorneys, we need to recognize that this is a widely held belief and address them head-on. The best way we can tackle false assumptions is by securing objective information about how the incident occurred from witnesses and accident reconstructionists. We also may call upon a treating physician or surgeon to prepare a report regarding the nature and extent of out client’s injuries.
While, we may not be able to immediately change the perception of motorcyclists, in the eyes of decision makers at insurance companies or attorneys defending these cases, we find that our willingness to thoroughly investigate motorcycle crash cases frequently results in cases getting resolved for fair values before they go to court. Over 90% of our Illinois motorcycle injury cases are resolved prior to litigation.
Tip for injured bikers: take photographs of the area were the accident occurred, damage to your bike and your injuries. This information can be persuasive when used in settlement negotiations.
Factors That Impact the Settlement Value of Your Motorcycle Accident Case
There really is not a formula that can be used to assess the value of a motorcycle accident or fatality case—each circumstance is really unique. However, our experience settling and litigating hundreds of motorcycle crash cases has demonstrated the following factors contribute to the underlying case settlement value.
- Was another driver clearly at fault for the collision?
- Was there alcohol involved in the crash?
- What type of injuries did the motorcyclist or passenger sustain?
- What type of medical care did they receive?
- How much are the medical bills?
- Did the motorcyclist lose any time from work?
- How much insurance coverage is there from the responsible party?
- Is there any uninsured / under-insured motorist coverage?
- In the case of a fatal crash, was the deceased supporting a family? How much money would they earn over the course of their working life?
Let Our Attorneys Help Ensure That You Receive the Settlement You Deserve for Your Illinois Motorcycle Accident Case
The attorneys you chose to represent you in an accident can have a significant impact on the outcome of your case. Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers stands beside you from the time our office is retained through when the case is settled or tried before a jury. We have the experience you need in order to get the maximum value for your case.
We invite you to contact our office today for a free review of your situation with an attorney who has experience with similar cases. As with all of our personal injury cases, we handle motorcycle accident cases on a contingency fee basis we only receive a fee when we recover compensation for you. Complete our case intake form or call our office and talk with an attorney about your legal rights and options for recovery.
- $1,000,000: Motorcycle accident, A wrongful death lawsuit was filed on behalf of a deceased 50-year-old motorcyclist who was struck by a vehicle making a left-hand turn. This settlement represents a collection of the policy limits from both the at-fault driver and a recovery from the motorcyclist’s own insurance policy through an under-insured motorist claim.
- $570,000: A motorcyclist was thrown off his bike when a car attempted to pass in a ‘no pass zone’. Our client, a 41-year-old computer technician, sustained an injury to his peroneal nerve and was eventually diagnosed with ‘drop foot’. The case was vigorously disputed by the other driver’s insurance company. They retained a doctor who opined that the injury was pre-existing.
- $330,000: Motorcycle passenger injury: A motorcycle passenger was thrown off the back of a bike when a car veered into their lane of traffic. Our lawyers successfully demonstrated that both the operator of the car and motorcycle were at fault for the accident.
- $200,000: Our client was struck while preceding through an intersection when a person driving a pickup truck blew a stop sign. The impact resulted in a crush injury to the motorcyclist’s leg and knee. An MRI revealed a torn meniscus, which was repaired surgically. This settlement represents the maximum insurance coverage available for this claim.
- $175,000: 25-year-old husband and wife were rear-ended while waiting for a left-turn signal at an intersection by a teenage driver who was talking on the phone. The couple received soft tissue injuries and significant scrapes to their arms and legs. After emergency room care, the couple saw an orthopedist and received approximately three months of physical therapy.