Have you been diagnosed with mesothelioma, or are you suffering from some other asbestos-related disease? Were your injuries the result of someone else’s negligence?
- Aggressive Pleural and Peritoneal Mesothelioma
- Integrative Medicine
- Bodywork Practices: An Alternative Treatment for Cancer
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine Treatment Options for Mesothelioma Patients
- Cancer Centers Recommend Alternative Medicine, Complementary Therapies, and Dietary Supplements With Mesothelioma Care and Cancer Surgery
- Alleviating Cancer Symptoms FAQs
- Legal Options for Cancer Patients After a Diagnosis of Mesothelioma
At Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, LLC, our personal injury attorneys are aggressive advocates on behalf of injured victims who developed mesothelioma caused by asbestos exposure. Contact our law office at (888) 424-5757 (toll-free phone call) or use the contact form today to schedule a free consultation. We can evaluate the evidence and discuss how you can receive compensation through an asbestos trust fund.
Mesothelioma is a debilitating disease that typically requires extensive chemotherapy, radiation, pharmaceuticals, and surgery. Unfortunately, in recent years, experimental treatments have offered few solutions to extend the patient’s life expectancy suffering from an asbestos-related condition.
Mesothelioma is a form of cancer typically caused by long-term exposure to the fibers of asbestos, a naturally occurring mineral used in various commercial applications.
Most individuals suffering from asbestos-related diseases often experience long-term exposure when ingesting or inhaling asbestos fibers. Over time, the fibers scar lung tissue, causing cancer and tumors.
Doctors currently determine a course of mesothelioma treatment for cancer patients based on various factors, including the health and age of the patient and the disease, its location, and stage. However, alternative mesothelioma treatments have been proven effective at easing the condition for many patients suffering from pericardial, peritoneal, and pleural mesothelioma.
Alternative medicine refers to nontraditional or complementary medicine, therapies, or treatment used instead of or with traditional medicine.
Aggressive Pleural and Peritoneal Mesothelioma
Many cancer patients diagnosed with aggressive pleural/peritoneal mesothelioma typically have a poor prognosis, requiring surgical procedures to remove tumors in the pleura surrounding the lungs. Doctors routinely recommend photodynamic therapy to their mesothelioma patients when providing professional medical advice because of its photosensitizing agents for removing cancer cells not found during surgery.
Conversely, some mesothelioma cancer patients have had positive results with alternative treatments that reduce aggressive cancer’s negative consequences. In addition, some alternative medicines have limited the adverse effects of mesothelioma, including reducing extreme physical fatigue, constant cancer pain, and emotional distress.
Unlike traditional cancer treatment for mesothelioma that can cure the disease, complementary and alternative treatments don’t treat cancer nor cure it. Instead, alternative treatments help minimize side effects and provide some relief from mesothelioma symptoms.
Often, mesothelioma patients will use alternative treatments to provide comfort. Fortunately, effective alternative options can reduce cancer symptoms and improve the patient’s life.
Some cancer patients receive pain-relieving benefits using alternative mesothelioma treatments like integrative medicine that combines conventional drugs with complementary therapies. Integrative medicine addresses the person’s holistic health when undergoing cancer treatments.
Doctors recognize the use of holistic therapies concurrently with cancer treatment as integrative oncology. Traditionally, the holistic therapies that can effectively manage the adverse effects of cancer treatment could include:
- Eating a healthy, balanced diet
- Exercising regularly to improve the patient’s quality of life
- Using complementary and alternative mesothelioma treatments, including TENS therapy, acupuncture, marijuana, etc. to alleviate chemotherapy pain and side effects
- Utilizing mind-body techniques include yoga and meditation to help cancer patients cope with the emotional, mental and physical stress
Typically, doctors only recommend integrative oncology when cancer patients utilize evidence-based complementary and alternative therapies. Integrative oncology is designed to treat the whole person and not just their cancer.
Bodywork Practices: An Alternative Treatment for Cancer
Effective bodywork practices are recognized as complementary treatments involving physical manipulation of the body for healing and therapeutic purposes. Bodywork can support mesothelioma treatment and improve the patient’s quality of life.
Physical manipulation offers the cancer patient relaxation, comfort, stress relief, and other significant benefits. Unfortunately, some cancer patients participating in clinical trials or undergoing intense mesothelioma treatment might experience physical limitations due to their treatment plan.
Chiropractic Cancer Complementary Therapies
Cancer symptoms associated with peritoneal or pleural mesothelioma are often unmanageable using other medications or conventional treatments. However, chiropractic manipulations are effective alternative methods for reducing stiffness, pain, and restricted mobility for some cancer patients.
Chiropractic treatments have shown to be highly effective at treating severe cancer-related pain in patients with lung cancer, breast cancer, mesothelioma, or other forms of cancer. However, as with all alternative treatments, cancer patients should seek professional medical advice to ensure no complications when using complementary and alternative medicine conjunctively with radiation therapy and chemotherapy.
Cancer patients undergoing traditional mesothelioma treatment, including radiation and chemotherapy, often turn to complementary treatments to deal with the adverse effects of their disease.
Osteopathic medicine treatments (osteopathy/OMT) focuses on the patient’s musculoskeletal system. The therapy involves gentle hands-on treatments targeting specific areas of the body. The alternative treatment reduces stress, restores balance, stretches and loosens joints, and alleviates pain and fatigue.
An osteopath might offer craniosacral therapy, also known as cranial osteopathy or cranial therapy, much like massage therapies focusing on the skull and sacral area (lowest spine area).
Some patients looking for alternative mesothelioma treatments believe that craniosacral treatment can alleviate chronic fatigue, sinus infections, and other ailments related to pleural, peritoneal, and pericardial mesothelioma.
Craniosacral treatment practitioners focus on the body’s “pulses” in targeted areas to help improve function, reduce pain, and increase comfort.
TENS Therapy (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation)
TENS therapy is a highly effective palliative alternative mesothelioma treatment that utilizes electrical stimulation. Undergoing these complementary treatments increases the body’s endorphins levels, reducing pain.
Physical therapists typically offer TENS complementary therapies at clinics. However, patients can perform complementary therapy at home using the proper equipment.
Some cancer patients interested in complementary therapies to alleviate pain associated with their malignant mesothelioma of lung cancer turn to reflexology. As a suitable alternative mesothelioma treatment, reflexology applies pressure to specific body points, usually on the feet, linked to body functions, systems, and organs.
Reflexology alleviates intense abdominal pain, chest pain, pelvic pain, back pain, discomfort, and other body areas. In addition, reflexology is thought to increase life-force energy, reducing anxiety.
Cancer-Related Acupuncture Treatment
Some cancer patients deal with dyspnea (difficulty breathing) as the body’s response to mesothelioma or lung cancer. Acupuncture has been highly effective at providing palliative comfort.
While acupuncture does not cure cancer, it is one of the best energy therapies to alleviate pain in patients receiving cancer care and treatments for mesothelioma. The therapy requires inserting narrow needles into the skin at specific pressure points.
Complementary and Alternative Medicine Treatment Options for Mesothelioma Patients
Many patients believe that their cancer diagnosis is a death sentence, as cancer cells attempt to overtake the healthy cells in the body when the body’s immune system is compromised. Traditional cancer treatments are limited in their ability to cure mesothelioma and kill cancer cells ravaging the body.
While traditional Western medicine treatments are usually the first options recommended by physicians, there are complementary and alternative medicine options for mesothelioma that work together with clinical trials. Some alternative and complementary treatments include:
- Acupuncture– Typically considered a palliative therapy, acupuncture has been used worldwide for generations. The acupuncturist inserts very thin needles just below the skin to contact specific pressure points on the body to alleviate pain and improve the condition.
- Aromatherapy– Breathing in aromatic oils is an effective therapy often used in combination with baths and massage therapy. Aromatherapy is considered a primarily palliative remedy that can heighten mood, relieve pain and promote optimal health.
- Chiropractic Care– Spine and bone manipulation by a competent chiropractor can open up energy pathways, minimize pain and improve the health and well-being of the patient.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy– For years, cognitive behavioral therapy has been highly influential in mental health counseling and hypnotherapy, which helps a cancer patient increase their concentration and focus.
- Energy Therapies– Some cancer patients have found significant relief to their pain and discomfort using energy therapies, including Reiki and Jin Shin Jyutsu, to create a continuous energy flow.
- Nutritional and Herbal Supplements– Many medicines are made using concentrated natural substances that formulate herbal medicines, altering body function and optimizing health. However, eating healthy and consuming specific herbal medicine can ward off infection, alleviate pain and improve health. Note that not all dietary supplements are safe.
- Homeopathy– Many cancer patients have long used homeopathic remedies to battle various medical conditions, including malignant mesothelioma. As a natural complementary and alternative medicine to Western cancer care options for treating aggressive cancer, homeopathy can help alleviate many adverse side effects when taking conventional medicine to manage asbestos-related diseases.
- Hypnotherapy– Through a guided hypnosis session, the patient’s mood can be heightened, pain alleviated, and side effects from prescription medication minimized. Hypnosis can be especially beneficial to many cancer patients undergoing various traditional treatments for mesothelioma to manage cancer.
- Lymph Drainage Therapy– Manually draining the lymph system is an effective technique that reduces swelling through gentle manipulation. This therapy is especially beneficial to mesothelioma patients undergoing radiation and surgery treatments to battle mesothelioma and other asbestos-related cancers.
- Massage Therapy – Physical manipulation of the patient’s muscle and soft tissue is an effective solution for alleviating pain, inducing relaxation, and minimizing muscle tension.
- Medical Marijuana– Some patients with the cancer diagnosis of mesothelioma use medical marijuana, typically in an indigestible edible form, to mitigate many of the common adverse effects of cancer care. Medical marijuana could also alleviate the pain and discomfort associated with mesothelioma.
- Meditation– Controlling the mind and body through meditation provides a therapeutic benefit that helps induce a calm mind. In addition, meditation is beneficial to mesothelioma cancer patients facing harsh health conditions.
- Naturopathy– As alternative cancer treatments, naturopathy focuses on healing the body using natural remedies to allow the body to heal itself. Based on a holistic approach, naturopathy treats illnesses including mesothelioma by focusing on lifestyle-based remedies, nutritional diets, and herbal supplements.
- Personal Training and Fitness– Remaining active and moving can provide tremendous assistance to mesothelioma patients treated for asbestos-related cancers, including mesothelioma.
- Pet Therapy– Many patients rely on pet therapy to reduce anxiety and elevate their mood. Pet therapy usually involves trained service dogs and animals in a clinical setting, hospital room, or nursing home.
- Sound Therapy– Some cancer patients can induce relaxation using sound therapy and music therapy to incorporate soothing music, Tibetan singing bowls, or other musical instruments that generate sound vibrations.
- TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation)– TENS therapy is a highly effective alternative mesothelioma treatment that uses electrical currents to relieve pain. Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation works by attaching small pads on the cancer patient’s body to direct electrical impulses to stimulate nerves and disrupt the pain cycle.
- Traditional Chinese Medicine– Many mesothelioma treatments incorporate traditional Chinese medicine, including acupuncture, to alleviate pain and discomfort.
- Yoga– By combining movement with meditation, yoga is an effective alternative treatment for asbestos-associated cancers. It promotes a heightened sense of contentment and relaxation while defining a correlation between mind and body.
Many alternative options for treating mesothelioma and other asbestos-associated diseases work best when paired with conventional cancer treatments. Most of these alternative solutions are beneficial in controlling pain, producing relaxation, and soothing the body and mind.
Cancer Centers Recommend Alternative Medicine, Complementary Therapies, and Dietary Supplements With Mesothelioma Care and Cancer Surgery
Even though mesothelioma can progress to an aggressive stage, alternative mesothelioma treatments can provide cancer patients comfort. However, any alternative cancer treatment should only be used with the patients’ recommended treatments.
According to the National Cancer Institute (NCI), many mesothelioma patients experience intense fatigue, dry mouth, and nausea from chemotherapy and radiation therapy. Additionally, the American Cancer Society warns mesothelioma patients about specific dietary supplements as an alternative treatment that can cause adverse effects when undergoing established cancer treatments like radiation therapy and chemotherapy drugs.
The MD Anderson Cancer Center, a major cancer center in the United States, recommends their cancer patients use complementary medicine resources and tools listed above utilized by the patient and their health care team.
Alleviating Cancer Symptoms FAQs
Our personal injury attorneys understand that many patients have questions about treating their mesothelioma and alleviating discomfort and pain. A mesothelioma injury lawyer has answered some of those questions below.
For additional information on using alternative treatments to improve the quality of life or to hold those responsible for causing your harm accountable, call our law office today at (888) 424-5757.
Are There Any New Treatments for Mesothelioma?
In October 2020, the federal Food and Drug Administration approved a medication combination to treat mesothelioma. The new drug serves as a first-line treatment for patients suffering from malignant pleural mesothelioma who are not candidates for removal by cancer surgery.
The previously FDA-approved medication for mesothelioma occurred in 2004, followed by a systemic therapy for life-threatening mesothelioma. The FDA states that approximately 20,000 people in the United States are diagnosed with malignant pleural mesothelioma every year.
Does Anything Cure Mesothelioma?
According to asbestos.com, medical science has yet to find a cure for mesothelioma. However, using the best medications and alternative treatments, long-term mesothelioma cancer remission is possible.
In 2020, the FDA approved a medication combination to treat patients with mesothelioma. Additionally, doctors recommend immunotherapy that has been shown to improve the patient’s prognosis and quality of life.
Has Anyone Been Cured of Mesothelioma?
Currently, there is no cure for mesothelioma. However, some patients diagnosed with mesothelioma have lived years beyond their life expectancy.
Their extended longevity is likely the result of participating in advanced treatments and mesothelioma clinical trials that have provided hope to patients suffering from the horrific disease.
Does Immunotherapy Work for Mesothelioma?
According to the American Cancer Society, some research has shown that immunotherapy, an effective cancer treatment that utilizes the body’s immune system to combat tumors, could help individuals with mesothelioma.
In many cases, the disease begins in the pleural, the thin lining between the inside of the chest in the lungs. Additionally, the FDA recently approved new mesothelioma medications and chemotherapy, including cisplatin, gemcitabine, and pemetrexed.
Currently, some mesothelioma patients are participating in large clinical trials to determine better how immunotherapy works and any potential adverse effects it could cause. Doctors have long known that immunotherapy spurs the body’s defenses to combat cancer, utilizing white blood cells to spot invaders like viruses and bacteria and destroy the harmful cells.
Legal Options for Cancer Patients After a Diagnosis of Mesothelioma
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC can provide peace of mind to cancer patients suffering from mesothelioma. In addition, we offer various legal options to obtain financial compensation when victims have developed cancer and other respiratory issues caused by exposure to asbestos.
We offer an initial free consultation to discuss your claim to determine the value of your case. Because asbestos exposure is almost always preventable, we fight aggressively to hold those responsible for your injuries accountable for their neglect and the harm they caused.
Call our law office at (888) 424-5757 (toll-free phone number) or use the contact form to schedule a free consultation to discuss your case’s merits. All sensitive or confidential information you share remains private through an attorney-client relationship.
Our law firm accepts all personal injury cases and wrongful death lawsuits through a contingency fee agreement. This arrangement ensures you pay nothing until we resolve your case through a jury verdict or negotiated settlement.
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) – Treating Mesothelioma
- MD Anderson Cancer Center – Mesothelioma Complementary Therapy
- Cancer Research UK – Mesothelioma
Many patients diagnosed with cancer have already resolved their million-dollar cases against those responsible for causing their asbestos exposure that led to mesothelioma. Call us today at (888) 424-5757 to schedule your consultation to discuss your compensation case.