On the morning of Monday, April 13, 2015, a Mega Bus that departed from Chicago collided with a semi-truck in Indiana, injuring 19 passengers on board. Thankfully, none of the injuries were critical or fatal, but this accident placed Mega Bus under extreme scrutiny because it is the fourth accident involving a Mega Bus between October of 2014 and April of 2015 to occur in Indiana alone. Stressed and fatigued drivers, poor maintenance schedules or poor bus designs may all be contributing factors in the increased rate of accidents involving large buses but it is the responsibility of bus companies to ensure the safe travel of every one of the passengers using their services.
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers is committed to protecting the rights of passengers injured in Mega bus accidents in Illinois. Our law firm represents injured people exclusively and has experience investigating and litigating bus accident cases in and around Chicago. If you are in need of an attorney following a Mega bus accident, complete the form here and an attorney will be in contact with you within hours.Discount Bus Fares May be Representative of Corner Cutting When it Comes to Safety
Mega Bus is known for its extremely low fares and one of the criticisms against the company is that it may be cutting corners in order to continue to keep its operating costs down. The use of poorly manufactured or designed parts or the failure to perform regular maintenance of buses can increase the likelihood that critical systems will fail when relied upon to prevent an accident. In addition to cutting corners, it is suspected that drivers may be overworked and not receiving an adequate amount of rest between shifts, which only serves to exacerbate the chances of being involved in an accident.Types of Injuries Occurring on Mega Buses
The severity of injuries sustained by passengers on Mega Buses can vary depending upon the circumstances of the accidents. Victims have reported being injured when being thrown from their seats, when windows have shattered, and by debris caused in the wreckage on the scene. Common injuries include the following.
- Lacerations caused by glass, metal or debris from other vehicles or contact with the ground.
- Broken or shattered bones due to sudden impact with objects or from being thrown out of one’s seat.
- Traumatic brain injuries caused by blows to the head or spine. These injuries can be as minor as a concussion or lead to more serious conditions which may not present symptoms until weeks or months after the initial injury.
- Amputations due to severe injuries or infections. These injuries are more likely when the victim is in another vehicle that has been struck by the bus.
- Partial or complete paralysis from the location of an injury to the spine downward. The cost of caring for a loved one who has been paralyzed is great and often places undue stress on the victim’s family who must not only provide constant care, but find a means of paying for ongoing treatment.
If you have been injured due to the recklessness of a bus driver or the failure of the Megabus company to properly maintain its vehicle, you are entitled to receive compensation for the cost of your medical bills, lost wages, out of pocket expenses and pain and suffering. Bus companies continue to place a greater priority on their bottom lines than on public safety and should be held accountable for their negligent choices and behavior. Contact the Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers today to schedule a free consultation with a Chicago bus accident attorney who has successfully represented individuals just like you.
During your consultation you will be informed of your legal rights and options and we will gather all of the information required to conduct our own investigation so that we can establish whether you have a case and begin to build it if you do. We will also make sure that you have access to all of the resources you need to be able to begin your physical recovery while we work hard on your behalf to ensure you receive the financial recovery needed to provide for all of your expenses. If we are unable to assist you or fail to recover compensation for your Illinois Mega Bus accident, all of our services will be free of charge.
For additional information about our bus accident litigation practice, view the page here.