Lurie Childrens Hospital Ratings & Violations
The 336-certified bed “not for profit” Children's Hospital provides cares and services to the local community. The facility is located at:
225 E. Chicago
Chicago, IL 60611
For over 130 years, the Children's Hospital has provided the community pediatric care based on the latest medical innovations and technologies. The facility also conducts pediatric research. Lurie Children's Hospital was formerly known as Children's Hospital of Chicago. The hospital provides numerous specialties and cares to treat diverse pediatric conditions including
- Cardiac surgery and cardiology
- Oncology and Hematology
- Intensive care
- Orthopedic surgery
- Pulmonary care
- Gastroenterology care
Illinois State Designations
Illinois regulators recognize certain government-owned and private facilities in the state that provide an exceptional level of care and specific fields. Currently, Lurie Children's Hospital maintains four designations including:
- Emergency Department Approved for Pediatrics and Pediatric Critical Care Center – The Children's Hospital has been recognized as an approved emergency medical facility providing 24-hour care and accessibility to essential pediatric services. The facility also participates in the Illinois emergency medical system providing trauma services around-the-clock.
- Magnet Recognition – The American Nurses Credentialing Center of the American Nurses Association recognizes the Children's Hospital for their leadership in nursing care. This designation includes providing effective communication and organizational decision-making skills through strong nursing leadership.
- Trauma Center Level I - Pediatric Only – As a Level I hospital, the facility maintains a pediatric-only trauma center designation by providing around-the-clock in-house essential services including a helicopter landing pad.
- Perinatal III – As a Level III Perinatal facility, this hospital provides pregnant women and children intensive care during complicated pregnancies and for newborns seriously at risk of medical complications. The hospital also maintains a neonatal intensive care unit.
Central Line Infections
In 2016, patients at Lurie Children's Hospital in the level III Neonatal ICU acquired four infections for 6727 central-line days. This report is in addition to the 12 facility-acquired infections out of 6249 central-line days involving pediatric cardiothoracic intensive care and the six facility-acquired infections out of 4021 central-line days involving the medical-surgical intensive care unit.
Concerning child safety, the care of patients at Lurie Children's Hospital is relatively consistent with other hospitals throughout Illinois. According to data, the facility had some concerns that include:
- Pediatric Iatrogenic Pneumothorax (Healthcare-Associated Collapsed Lung) in non-neonatal patients (January 1, 2015, to December 31, 2015) – 8 pediatric patients suffered from the condition out of 10,244 patients for a risk-adjusted rate of 0.631 per 1000. This number is significantly higher than the Illinois State average of 0.13 per 1000.
- Pediatric Heart Surgery Mortality Rate (January 1, 2015, to December 31, 2015) – Three patients of 238 died from heart surgery for a risk-adjusted rate of 9.51 per 1000 patients, which is significantly lower than the Illinois State average of 12.46 per 1000
- Accidental Puncture and Laceration, Pediatric with 13 of 9,922 patients reporting complications
Chicago Medical Malpractice Lawyers
If you believe your child has suffered harm or died after being a patient at Lurie Children's Hospital, their damages might have been related to medical negligence by the medical team or facility. The Pediatric Medical Malpractice Attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC remain committed to protecting children for mistakes occurring in medical environments. If you believe you have a potential case to receive financial compensation, contact our office today at (888) 424-5757 to schedule a free, no-obligation case consultation.
Our lawyers accept every medical malpractice lawsuit, wrongful death case, and personal injury claim through contingency fee arrangements. This agreement provides postponement of all legal fees until after we have successfully resolved your case by negotiating an acceptable out of court settlement or winning your lawsuit at trial. Our “No Win/No Fee” Guarantee means you owe us nothing if we are unable to obtain compensation to pay your medical bills, time away from work, future earnings, pain, suffering, grief and funeral expenses.