Louis A. Weiss Memorial Hospital Malpractice Attorneys
Louis A. Weiss Memorial Hospital is a 236-bed hospital providing cares and services to the residents of Chicago metropolitan area. The facility is located in Cook County, Illinois at:
4646 N Marine Drive
Chicago IL 60640
Louis A. Weiss Memorial Hospital opened its doors in 1953 as a nonprofit community medical center before merging with the University of Chicago hospitals in 1987. Today, the facility provides numerous services to the community that include:
- Breast care
- Cancer care
- Emergency medical care
- Cardiac care
- Eye care and eye surgery
- Radiology and imaging
- Gender confirmation surgery
- Pain management
- Hospice care
- Nuclear medicine
- Reconstructive and plastic surgery
- Physical, speech and occupational rehabilitation therapies
- Stroke care
- Surgical services
- Wound care
- Vascular care
Illinois State Designations
Currently, the facility maintains the following designation:
- Primary Stroke Center – Illinois state regulators recognize Weiss Memorial Hospital as a stroke care facility that meets the standards to support the best outcome for stroke patients. Maintaining the designation means that the facility must follow Illinois Department of Public Health compliance regulations. Previously, Primary Stroke Centers were referred to as “Emergent Stroke Ready Hospitals.”
According to data supplied by the hospital to the Illinois Department of Health and other agencies, Louis A Weiss Memorial Hospital reported the following medical errors which may be of concern to patients and their families.
Health Care-Associated Infections
- Surgical Site Infections Associated with Total Knee Replacement Surgery (in 2016) – one patient suffered an infection out of 207 procedures with a standardized infection ratio of 0.93%.
- Center Line-Associated Bloodstream Infections (medical/surgical ICU for 2016) – four patients suffered infections out of 1882 Central-line days with a standardized infection ratio of 2.43%.
The state of Illinois maintains records on hospitals and medical centers that rank unexpected problems against all other facilities nationwide. The current safety issues for Weiss Memorial Hospital include:
- Risk-adjusted Postoperative Lung Embolism or Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT clotting) (10/1/10 to 9/30/11) 23 out of 1,724 patients
- Accidental Puncture and Laceration (10/1/10 to 9/30/11) 17 out of 7,503 patients
- Iatrogenic Pneumothorax (healthcare-associated collapsed lung) 3 out of 7,251 patients
- Postoperative Hemorrhage or Hematoma (10/1/10 to 9/30/11) 3 out of 1,731 patients
- Postoperative Respiratory Failure (10/1/10 to 9/30/11) 8 out of 609 patients
- Pneumonia Patient Readmittance – 17.2% of all patients treated for pneumonia discharged from the facility were readmitted within 30 days between July 1, 2013, and June 30, 2016. This statistic is slightly higher than the national average of 16.9% and slightly lower than the Illinois State average of 17.37%.
- Heart Failure Patient Readmittance – 20.4% of all patients treated for heart failure discharged from the facility were readmitted within 30 days between July 1, 2013, and June 30, 2016. The statistical rate is slightly lower than the national average (21.6%) and Illinois State average (21.78%).
- Heart Attack Patient Readmittance – 15.6% of all patients discharged from Weiss Memorial Hospital were readmitted within 30 days between July 1, 2013, June 30, 2016. The statistical rate is slightly lower than the national average (16.3%) an Illinois State average (16.4%).
- Pneumonia Patient Mortality Rate – 13.8% of all patients treated for pneumonia at the hospital died within 30 days (July 1, 2013, through June 30, 2016). The statistical rate is slightly higher than the national averages (15.9%) and State average (15.98%).
- Heart Failure Patient Mortality Rate – 11.2% of all patients treated at the facility for heart failure died within 30 days (July 1, 2013, to June 30, 2016) the statistical rate is slightly lower than the national average (11.9%) and the Illinois State average (11.67%).
- Heart Attack Patient Mortality Rate – 11.9% of all patients admitted to the facility for treatment of a heart attack died within 30 days (July 1, 2013, to June 30, 2016). The statistical average is slightly lower than the national average (13.6%) and Illinois State average (13.32%).
If you believe you or your child suffered injury or harm while a patient at Louis A. Weiss Memorial Hospital, your damages might be the result of medical negligence. The Medical Malpractice Attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC remain committed to protecting our clients from mistakes occurring in medical settings. Contact our attorneys today to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation to discuss the merits of your claim.
Our lawyers accept every personal injury case, wrongful death lawsuit, medical malpractice claim through contingency fee arrangements. This agreement allows postponement of all legal fees until we have successfully resolved your case by winning your lawsuit at trial or negotiating an acceptable out of court settlement on your behalf. Our “No Win/No Fee” Guarantee means that if we are unable to resolve your case for monetary recovery you owe us nothing. All consultations are confidential.
For more information about , please contact Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC today by calling 888-424-5757. Talk to a lawyer now. Free consultation.