It is truly amazing how many injuries could be prevented while operating machinery if the machines were manufactured using technologies that are designed to make them safer. Many lawn mower manufacturers cut corners when it comes to safety because they do not wish to bear the cost of safety devices that will reduce the number of injuries caused during common lawn mower accidents. Sometimes the only way to encourage change is to demand accountability and it is the goal of the Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC to represent the needs of clients who have been injured as well as the interests of those who may be harmed in the future if companies are not forced to change their ways.
Predominant Causes of Lawn Mower Injuries
Riding lawn mowers are more convenient to use when cutting large lawns and are sold for the purpose of making yard maintenance an ease whether the person operating it is working for a landscaping company or mowing his or her own lawn. These mowers are prone to accidents under the following circumstances, however.
- When the mower lacks a blade shutoff when placed in reverse. Many injuries occur when the operator is backing up and runs over another person or falls from the mower.
- When the mower tips over while making a tight turn. Once again, these injuries are caused by the lack of a shutoff mechanism and the inclusion of sensors and shutoff devices in lawnmower designs would prevent them.
- When the mower is not sold with accompanying safety equipment and devices, such as a rollover protection system.
- Driver error. When a person is hit by debris flying out of a lawnmower or is hit by a person on a riding mower he or she may be able to pursue the operator of the machine.
Injuries Caused by Lawn Mower Accidents
The injuries sustained in lawn mower accidents are generally very severe. Victims usually require immediate and extensive medical treatment for injuries that include the following.
- Deep lacerations and arterial bleeding.
- The loss of a limb either due to initial injury or the need for amputation.
- Mutilation and disfigurement accompanied by emotional distress.
- Injuries to the spine and nervous system resulting in partial or complete paralysis.
- Fractures and shattered bones due to the weight of the mower in a roll over event.
- Death due to injuries sustained in an accident.
The cost of medical treatment for the majority of injuries sustained in lawn mower accidents is extremely burdensome and the victim should not be required to bear those costs in addition to the emotional and physical angst he or she is forced to bear if the accident was the result of negligence or poor product design. If you or someone you love has been injured in a lawn mower accident, it is important to investigate the circumstances of the accident to determine whether another party is indeed responsible for what has happened.
Attorneys Committed to Holding Negligent Companies Accountable
For far too long, the manufacturers of dangerous equipment have ignored the need to make their products safer for us to use and this trend will continue until they are forced to make a change. Most lawn mowers are built without devices and equipment that will greatly reduce the number of injuries sustained by their operators but these manufacturers knowingly choose to save a little money on production rather than invest in the safety of the consumer. We are the losers when this happens and we deserve more than that.
The Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC is a nationally recognized personal injury law firm and we represent clients who have been injured due to the negligent acts of reckless individuals and greedy corporations. Contact us today to schedule a risk free consultation with one of our experienced and highly qualified attorneys. We will gather all of the information necessary to investigate your case and determine whether you have the grounds to file a lawsuit for the recovery of damages which include the cost of medical care, lost wages and pain and suffering.
Our lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, meaning that we will never ask you for payment upfront and guarantee our work— should we be unable to assist you or fail to secure a settlement or judgment on your behalf, our time and advice is at no cost to you.