Chicago Labor & Delivery Negligence Lawyers
Giving birth should be one of the most joyous experiences in a parent’s life and negligence that results in trauma and injury to the child is unacceptable. Most birth injuries are easily prevented or treated when the attending physicians monitor the child properly and do not deviate from the standard of care, which is why it is important to hold negligent doctors and staff liable when medical malpractice permanently affects the newborn’s quality of life. The Chicago Injury Center is a personal injury law firm in Illinois dedicated to representing those who have been injured and our birth injury lawyers specialize in recovering compensation for families affected by accidents during labor and delivery.
The Cause of Birth Injuries
The majority of injuries sustained during labor or delivery are treatable but require close monitoring to ensure that the child does not suffer from additional complications that affect his or her development or cause permanent damage. In many cases, the method of delivery, failure to order a C-section and the equipment used during the delivery can contribute to or be the cause of an injury. Common causes of birth trauma include the following.
- Conditions that cut off the supply of oxygen to the infant’s brain, which can result in brain damage, cerebral palsy, hearing impairment, breathing problems and death.
- Bone fractures caused by improper use of equipment such as forceps and vacuums. These accidents can cause permanent deformities, brain damage and erbs palsy.
- Failure to notice fetal distress, which is usually the result of not properly monitoring the fetal heart rate and other vital signs.
- Strangulation by the umbilical cord, which is often preventable or easily treated if noticed in time.
- Ordering a C-section too late or not ordering one when doing so would have prevented trauma or injuries.
If your child has suffered injuries at the time of birth, it is important to collect as many details about the delivery as possible and to speak with an attorney in order to explore your legal options. Medical malpractice can be difficult to prove as it requires evidence that the hospital staff deviated from the standard of care, which is what any reasonable medical professional might have done under the same conditions. The Chicago Injury Center has a proven track record of success because of our access to experts in the medical field who are able to provide compelling testimony that is essential in making our clients’ cases.
Contact us today for a free consultation if you believe that your child’s injuries were the result of negligence or malpractice. Our offices are located throughout Illinois and if you are unable to come to us, we will travel to you. During your consultation, we will collect information about your case, explain your rights and let you know how we would proceed so that you know exactly what to expect. We are confident in our ability to settle or win your case— and if we don’t, you won’t owe us a thing.
For more information about , please contact Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC today by calling 888-424-5757. Talk to a lawyer now. Free consultation.