Joliet Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer
Slip and fall injuries can be very painful, expensive, and potentially life-altering. That is why it's so important to identify the cause of your accident quickly and get in touch with a qualified personal injury lawyer who will fight for you every step of the way.
The law office of Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, LLC, has been helping clients just like you recover compensation for their damages since 1987. He knows how to protect his injured clients' rights while negotiating on their behalf to obtain fair settlements or jury awards when necessary.
Contact a Joliet personal injury lawyer at (888) 424-5757 (toll-free phone number) or use the contact form today for immediate legal advice and schedule a free case evaluation. All confidential or sensitive information you share with our legal team remains private through an attorney-client relationship.
Illinois and National Slip and Fall Statistics
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), falls are the leading cause of unintentional injuries for people 65 and older, accounting for more than 26% of all non-fatal injuries during that age group.
The CPSC also reports that fall-related fatalities are most common among adults 15 to 64 years old due to falling off ladders and roofs. However, slip and fall accidents can occur anywhere and anytime, especially during wet or icy conditions.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), almost one in ten Americans aged 45 falls each year. In addition, the CDC reveals that falls are responsible for more than 1 million emergency room visits annually, with 25,000 of these ending in death.
Some slips and falls are not the results of slippery conditions but from negligence, such as leaking or overflowing sewage systems, uneven walking surfaces, and inadequate lighting.
Statistics show that most slipping and falling in hospitals and nursing homes are preventable. However, data reveals that these accidents are more likely to occur when the facility is understaffed.
After a fall, it's important to seek medical treatment right away. Minor injuries may develop into serious complications if not treated promptly.
If you're unsure If your injuries were caused by another's negligence or another party involved, contact the Joliet personal injury lawyers at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers; call at (888) 424-5757 to discuss your legal rights to receive compensation.
A Joliet Slip and Fall Lawyer Can Help
The Joliet slip and fall accident attorneys of Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers, LLC, specialize in helping injured victims hurt in a fall, whether while on the job or because of premises liability. Slip, trip, and fall injuries are the most common and severe injuries reported and can quickly change the victim's life forever.
A Joliet personal injury attorney can explore all legal avenues to recover the compensation you need to pay for medical expenses, out-of-pocket costs, lost wages, and your pain and suffering. Their efforts can help you move forward with your life after such an accident.
Our legal team can investigate the cause of your slip and fall accident, which will likely include gathering evidence by interviewing witnesses who were present at the time of your accident.
If you've already spoken to an insurance company or filed a claim, Our Joliet personal injury lawyers can help you get back on track with that process, too.
Common Types of Slip and Fall Accidents in Joliet
Most people experience slip and fall accidents in the workplace. Still, our Joliet slip and fall injury lawyers have helped people obtain compensation from disasters resulting from poor building maintenance, defects in sidewalks and pavement, missing handrails, defective staircases, poorly lit halls, and more.
Following are some of the most common types of accidents in Joliet:
- Slips due to ice or hazards: It is the responsibility of property owners to keep walkways and paths clear of ice, debris, and other dangers that can threaten public safety. When someone is injured in a fall due to poor grounds maintenance, the owner may be liable.
- Falls in elevators: Defective elevator doors can expose people to fall hazards, resulting in serious injuries. If the victim survives, they may be changed for the rest of their life.
- Poor lighting: Some tripping and falling accidents are caused by dimly lit halls or stairs. Also, when people cannot see objects on the ground, they are more likely to be injured by tripping over them and falling.
- Defects in the pavement: Potholes are not just a hazard for vehicles. They can be a source of injury to those who step into them. From tripping to twisting or breaking an ankle, it is possible to suffer an injury severe enough to set you back a significant amount of time and money.
- Slippery floors: When maintenance staff do not warn people of wet floors, it is possible for them to slip and fall, causing severe injuries when hitting the floor.
- Poorly maintained balconies: In addition to missing or broken guardrails, balconies that cannot withstand the weight of their occupants can cause harm when they collapse.
- Uneven sidewalks: Uneven sidewalks can create hazards by making them more likely to trip or place their foot down at an awkward angle.
- Workplace slip, trip, and fall accidents: Numerous hazards are found on the job, and many of them can cause workers to trip or fall from great heights. As a result, thousands of workers have suffered injuries, pain, and emotional distress in work-related accidents every year.
A personal injury lawyer from our Joliet office Can ensure that your legal issue is handled before the statute of limitations (two-year window) restricts you from ever seeking compensation in the future.
The value of your personal injury case will be based on several factors, including the extent of your injuries, your ongoing medical expenses, and the level of your pain and suffering.
The Types of Injuries That Might Result From Joliet Slip and Fall Accidents
These types of accidents can cause different injuries, depending on the type of surface, the height of the fall, and other factors unique to your situation.
Our personal injury law firm recognizes some of the most common injuries as:
- Traumatic brain injuries: Sudden trauma to the head can cause microtears in the brain that swell with blood and fluids. Over time, this can cause long-term loss of cognitive function.
- Fractures: Broken bones are common in slip or fall accidents, and they may require extensive medical treatment to repair if they are severe. In addition, victims need to keep the affected limb immobilized for an extended period, making it difficult to return to work even in the best Joliet personal injury cases.
- Neural retinopathy: Damage to the nerves can result in diminished motor function, loss of feeling, or severe pain.
- Injuries to the back: A fall can easily cause injuries to the back, such as herniated discs, broken vertebrae, or a fractured spine.
- Death: Falls from great heights can result in life-ending injuries, and the families of victims deserve fair financial compensation for the financial contributions of their lost ones.
It is the responsibility of every property owner to take all reasonable steps necessary to provide a safe environment to those using the building. If the owners or building management knew of a hazard or did not perform routine maintenance, victims may file a lawsuit to recover damages.
Slip and Fall Accidents & Wrongful Death Lawsuits
Surviving families who lost a loved one from a fatal slip and fall could file a civil lawsuit citing wrongful death caused by someone else's negligence. These are complex personal injury cases to prosecute, but the civil tort law allows families to recover damages for financial loss due to the death of a loved one.
Qualifying family members usually included surviving spouses, children, parents, and siblings. Additionally, family members such as grandparents sometimes qualify to be included in a wrongful death lawsuit if they depended on the deceased for financial or emotional support.
Types of Damages That Wrongful Death Plaintiffs Can Recover
The most common types of damages sought after in slip and fall lawsuits are outlined below:
- Medical bills: Expenses incurred because of the slip and fall can be included in a personal injury claim for damages.
- Pain and suffering: The loss could have caused the family member to suffer emotionally, an aspect of damages that can be claimed.
- Loss of enjoyment of life: This includes loss of financial support from the victim and the enjoyment received when the decedent visits or spends time with family.
- Funeral and burial expenses: If the decedent did not have sufficient insurance to cover the costs, expenses could be included in a wrongful death case.
- Loss of future earning capacity: Estimates how much money the family member would have made over their lifetime.
The court will determine how much compensation each claimant receives based on individual factors unique to the victim and the plaintiff. A skilled personal injury attorney will be able to help you determine what types of damages may apply in your case.
Slip and Falls in Nursing Homes
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, nursing home staff may overlook or intentionally leave dangerous conditions or items in their path. As a result, many people are injured by these hazards every year.
The rate is even higher for elderly victims who often experience a more serious injury than younger patients.
Some reasons for slipping and falling in nursing homes include:
- Understaffing: Some facilities do not employ sufficient staff to ensure all residents' needs are met. Understaffing might result from failing to hire competent nurses and nursing aides or a high turnover rate among nursing staff.
- Neglecting routine safety inspections: Some facilities do not regularly complete a thorough inspection or hire a dedicated maintenance worker to address hazards.
- Improperly maintained equipment: Sometimes, staff members do not properly maintain walkers and wheelchairs, which can lead to a fall.
- Negligent flooring: After residents finish using showers and baths, facilities may use too much disinfectant on the floor rather than invest in a safer alternative such as a slip-resistant product.
- Improper or missing handrails and grab bars: Nursing home residents often use these railings to help them walk, but some facilities do not install or maintain these safety features.
Slip and falls in nursing homes can lead to serious injuries such as broken bones, lacerations, head trauma, and back and hip injuries. If you have a loved one in a nursing home, be sure to visit the facility often and ask how often they inspect for hazards.
Additionally, these injuries can be life-threatening if they cause bleeding in the brain or spinal cord. It is especially true if the victim experiences significant swelling of the brain due to trauma.
Insurance Companies and Bad Faith Offers
Most personal injury cases, including all slip and fall accidents, are resolved when the injured party (plaintiff) and their attorney settle with the defendant and their insurance company by negotiating.
However, without legal representation, the injured party is mostly at the mercy of the insurance company or claims adjuster making a low ball offer to resolve the claim. Usually, these offers are significantly lower than the case's true value.
Some injured victims choose to hire a personal injury lawyer to work and negotiate on their behalf. As a result, you can usually expect to receive a higher settlement with legal representation than if you worked with the insurance company alone.
Another important aspect of personal injury litigation is bad faith claims handling. Sometimes, an insurance company will act in bad faith by refusing to pay on legitimate claims or offering only a small settlement amount. In contrast, the claim is still new and open rather than working towards an amicable resolution.
Disagreeing with the Offer or Offering a Counter Offer
Many times, the insurance company will make an offer to resolve a personal injury lawsuit; if you do not agree or counteroffer, they may refuse to continue settlement discussions and even leave it up to the individual victim to prove their personal injury case in court.
A skilled personal injury lawyer can help get your claim resolved without going to court and help you understand the claims process and their offer to make an informed decision.
All personal injury accidents with devastating injuries are different, and all insurance companies handle settlement offers differently. Seek legal representation if your personal injury case is complicated or involves a severe injury such as those mentioned above.
Slip and Fall Injury Lawyers Can Help With Settlement Negotiations
Any accident or injury can leave a person feeling overwhelmed, but an experienced slip and fall injury lawyer will help guide you through the aftermath.
The personal injury attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyer, LLC, are happy to offer a free consultation for anyone who has suffered an injury because of someone else's negligence.
Statistics show that approximately 95% of slip and fall accident cases are resolved through negotiations with the defendant's attorneys or insurance company.
The remaining personal injury cases are usually resolved at trial, where the judge or jury decides how much fair and full compensation will be paid.
Many personal injury lawyers are hesitant to go to trial because it is expensive and time-consuming. Still, our attorneys feel that our injured clients deserve the best chance of getting a favorable outcome in their cases.
Let Our Joliet Slip and Fall Attorneys Work on Your Behalf
Filing an injury lawsuit after a serious incident is never easy. Victims may need help understanding their rights and getting maximum compensation for economic losses. Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC has recovered damages for thousands of clients in the Joliet area.
In addition to working with insurance companies, our law firm can determine whether you can file a claim against negligent property owners so that you can:
- Afford the quality medical care you need
- Meet your financial obligations during your recovery
- Afford any out of pocket expenses that you may incur while you are going through rehabilitation
Contact a Joliet personal injury lawyer at (888) 424-5757 (toll-free phone number) or use our online contact form now for immediate legal advice and schedule a free consultation!
Connect with an award-winning Joliet slip and fall accident lawyer so that we can investigate your claim and review your legal options.
Suppose our personal injury law firm cannot obtain financial compensation on your behalf. In that case, you are assured that our time and services will cost you nothing because we accept personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis. Likewise, if your Joliet personal injury lawyer cannot win your case, you will owe our law firm nothing.
Our Cook County law office provides legal services to clients and related practice areas, including car accident cases, medical malpractice, product liability, dog bites, premises liability, dangerous drugs, medical negligence, and wrongful death.
Our law firm currently represents clients throughout central Illinois, including Peoria County, Kankakee County, Grundy County, Kendall County, DuPage County, Lake County, etc.