Joliet Sexual Abuse Lawyer
Sex abuse is a heinous crime that affects hundreds of thousands of victims around the world. Sex abuse survivors can suffer long-term psychological effects from their traumatic experiences. They may have to enroll in therapy and counseling to cope with what someone else did to them. If you or your child has experienced sexual abuse in Joliet, Illinois, take a stand with help from one of our Joliet sex abuse lawyers.Why Choose Us?
- You should not have to go up against a sex abuse perpetrator alone. Our attorneys will walk you through the entire legal process.
- You can maximize your odds of a successful civil case and financial recovery with our sex abuse attorneys representing you.
- You will only pay our attorney fees if we secure you a monetary award for your damages. We operate on a contingency fee basis.
Hiring a lawyer may be the last thing on your mind after suffering sexual abuse in Joliet. Yet it is a reliable way to protect your rights as a survivor. A lawyer can connect you to sex abuse resources in your area, as well as inform you of your legal rights. You may have grounds to file a civil lawsuit against the perpetrator and other parties. A sex abuse attorney in Joliet can give you the power to go up against someone who hurt you or your child.How to File a Joliet Sex Abuse Claim
Filing a civil lawsuit can be your way of taking back control. You may not have much of a say during a criminal case against the perpetrator, but you are the one who initiates a civil case. During a civil lawsuit, you will have the opportunity to prove that the perpetrator did in fact sexually abuse you or your loved one. This can give you much-needed closure for healing in the future. It can also give you the chance to secure full compensation for the economic and noneconomic losses the abuser caused you. Here’s how to file a cause of action in Joliet, Illinois:
- Collect information. First, build your case. Prevent your child from interacting with the alleged perpetrator and affiliated organization. Then, gather information and evidence to support your sex abuse case. Write down the names of any eyewitnesses or officials you spoke to about the abuse. If your child has physical signs of abuse, document them with photographs and medical records.
- Call the police. Then, call the police with your sex abuse allegation. Once you are sure that someone has committed sex abuse against your child, call 911 and report your suspicions. Supplement your charge with any available evidence. The city may arrest the perpetrator if there is enough evidence of sex abuse, and you can then state that you want to press charges.
- Get help for the victim. Next, contact a center that can give you or your child counseling and therapy. Guardian Angel Community Services, for example, is a Joliet resource that offers a 24/7 sexual assault hotline. Its sexual assault service center offers individual and group counseling, medical advocacy, and prevention education in Joliet.
- Call a lawyer. Finally, contact an attorney for the next steps to take toward filing a civil claim. A sex abuse lawyer in Joliet can help you file a claim in Will County. Do not worry about the state’s two-year deadline, as this typically does not apply in sex abuse cases. Contact an attorney once you decide to go public with your sexual abuse story. Your lawyer will handle the rest.
Trusting a sex abuse attorney with your case can give you peace of mind, and remove the burden of legal action from your shoulders. You can focus on healing and emotional recovery while your lawyer fights for results on your behalf. You and your family could be eligible for financial damages.Recent Joliet Sex Abuse Lawsuits and Settlements
In August 2018, the Diocese of Joliet reached a settlement of $1.4 million for sexual molestation one of its priests committed against at least three boys. The boys – now grown men – came forward against Father Leonard Mateo for alleged sexual molestation. Although Mateo is now deceased, the Diocese must pay the settlement.
Another Joliet sex abuse case involves the alleged sexual assault of a Lockport man in 2017 by Mr. Mitchell Gurra. The victim states that Gurra sexually assaulted the victim when he was knowingly unable to give his consent. The lawsuit aims to sue Gurra for injuries, emotional pain, anguish, and mental suffering.
These are just two examples of the many sex abuse lawsuits that have arisen in Joliet, Illinois. Check the Joliet, Illinois sex offender registry to help protect yourself and your children from convicted sex criminals.Contact Us for a Free Consultation in Joliet
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers LLC can help you seek justice from a sex abuse offender and other parties in Joliet. Our lawyers do not shy away from litigation, although we can settle most personal injury cases without needing a trial.
Speak to one of our attorneys today during a confidential consultation. Request yours online or at (888) 424-5757.